Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

No offense to Larry and I have no problem with people who love cruisers but after all is said and done when you trick out a Victory with 100+ hp you still have a bike that has straight line performance about equal to a 1981 KZ750 without the handling capability.

The new muffler laws in Calif are going to change to face of performance forever. Calif is by far the largest market and it remains to be seen just how many pipe companies are going to survive when aftermarket pipes are indistinguishable from stock ones. Expect other States to follow suit when they see how much moola can be made by simply stopping loud bikes and just looking for the DOT sticker on the muffler. No more noise testing required.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch001 View Post
"high revving . . ." LOL! My almost stock Small block Chevy revs faster than this AND makes more POWER AND TORQUE per cubic inch! Sorry guys, "high revving" and Victory or Harley Davidson are NOT to be used in the same sentence. WHAT is the point of SOHC and 4 valve heads on something that turns this slow? Harley has it right with their V-twin, 2 valves and push rods. The SOHC 4 valve Victory serves to make the engine taller than it needs to be and adds unnecessary complexity! Looking at the RPM and power numbers, there is NO other conclusion to be made. WHERE is the payoff or the necessity for the SOHC 4 Valve design? Any Engine designer needs to ask this question when they start, not just add a feature because it speaks of "performance".

Big deal, the Victory makes more power than the Harley! ANY 600 Supersport on the planet makes 40-50% more power on 1000cc less displacement. Cruiser manufacturers would all be better off NOT getting into bragging about POWER! 72 horsepower out of a 1600 + CC engine is PATHETIC! Spending $1000 and getting ZERO is less than Pathetic! This is the definition of "Waste of Money"!

Regardless of that, I would bet that the lack of power increase is more likely due to cam timing issues. Most "California" market motorcycles use special profile Exhaust cams as a part of the CARB compliance package. No matter what you do to the intake and exhaust systems, the cams are very likely to have this engine strangled.

Finally, why does an engine with 8.7:1 static compression ratio required Premium Fuel? This indicates poor combustion efficiency or other combustion chamber cooling problems. There are MANY Air cooled engines that run up to 10.0:1 compression (or more) on regular fuel. LOWERING compression ratio so you can run more advance to increase low end torque is a red flag to a tuner for poor combustion efficiency! Jacking a bunch of ignition lead into ANY engine says that the design has problems. Requiring Premium fuel for such a mildly tuned engine should say to someone that SOMETHING is inherently wrong. That is if the lack of improvement in power numbers did not say it to them already.
Someone who understands it.

Pushrod engines are less expensive to produce and when the SOHC design realizes no real performance difference you are looking at wasted and unnecessary technology.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #33
Sir_Angus
Registered Member
 
Sir_Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Expect other States to follow suit when they see how much moola can be made by simply stopping loud bikes and just looking for the DOT sticker on the muffler. No more noise testing required.
I think you're wrong about this ... Florida certainly owns a large percentage of that US market, but doesn't even have emmission regulations for cars yet. Granted some cities/counties have adopted noise ordinances, however the follow through has been about as effective as Monika Lewinski's drycleaner. (Like the throwback analogy?) Hell, in the tri-county area of SoFL, cops barely enforce standard traffic laws; I don't see them wasting their time checking for DOT stickers on exhaust anytime soon.

Big brother may require manufacturers to meet EPA laws but unlike the overbearing & over-reaching Cali laws I don't see most states micro-managing vehicle mods that way.
__________________
"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan." - from the film Cube
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
I think you're wrong about this ... Florida certainly owns a large percentage of that US market, but doesn't even have emmission regulations for cars yet. Granted some cities/counties have adopted noise ordinances, however the follow through has been about as effective as Monika Lewinski's drycleaner. (Like the throwback analogy?) Hell, in the tri-county area of SoFL, cops barely enforce standard traffic laws; I don't see them wasting their time checking for DOT stickers on exhaust anytime soon.

Big brother may require manufacturers to meet EPA laws but unlike the overbearing & over-reaching Cali laws I don't see most states micro-managing vehicle mods that way.
Well, I certainly hope I'm wrong. But when I see things like the State of Virginia making a roll-through right turn the same as reckless driving and assess a $2500 penalty I just suspect that the greed of cash strapped States will have them pursuing every possible avenue to squeeze the publics' wallets even more. Loud mufflers are an easy target.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
Granted some cities/counties have adopted noise ordinances, however the follow through has been about as effective as Monika Lewinski's drycleaner. (Like the throwback analogy?) Hell, in the tri-county area of SoFL, cops barely enforce standard traffic laws; I don't see them wasting their time checking for DOT stickers on exhaust anytime soon.
I think we're a little "spoiled" down here in the wilds of South Florida. I ran drag pipes on my Shovelhead for years and never got a second look. The Vee isn't nearly as loud, but it's hardly stock. Again, I pass the cops by without a glance.

Maybe our cops are too busy eating Frijoles Negroes and snorting coke to bother.
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #36
Larry
Founding Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Lar, for all your yappin' you need a much better wheelie photo. My 80cc Cuddymobile can pull that weeka$$ wheelie.
Ya know, there's never a camera man standing right there when I do my best work... Seriously, it makes so much torque at such obscenely low rpm that it'd be really easy to f-up and the ergos are all wrong for that sort of foolishness.


__________________
Victory Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big bore
126 HP/134 TQ -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

Last edited by Larry : 05-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #37
Larry
Founding Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No offense to Larry and I have no problem with people who love cruisers but after all is said and done when you trick out a Victory with 100+ hp you still have a bike that has straight line performance about equal to a 1981 KZ750 without the handling capability.
I think you'd be surprised...
__________________
Victory Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big bore
126 HP/134 TQ -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I think you'd be surprised...
No doubt that scooter is a barrel of fun.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off