Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterduc1000 View Post
I would like to see you guys do an all encompassing streetfighter shootout. One that would include the new Aprilia Tuono, The Duc Streetfighter and Monster 1100, and even some of the smaller ones such as the Street Triple. Kinda like a Master Bike Shootout for Streetfighters. That would be AWESOME!!!

Great article and video, but the one guy said the Kawi was more powerful than the other two but the dyno charts show the triple was the beast of the bunch.
First off, the the idiot in the vid was me. However, there were extenuating circumstances. Although our 2011 Z1000 made only 119 rwhp, our 2010 tester generated 123 hp. They are mechanically identical. Also, the Triumph had non-EPA pipes and an ECU remap, so it's not quite a stock-to-stock comparison. A Z with pipes and PC should push 130 pretty easy.

Second, there's no shortage of streetfighter/naked-bike shootouts on MO. Plus, putting together a huge shootout would overwhelm our limited resources.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful View Post
Again, you guys continually amaze in your ability to get
test bikes, test them so quickly, actually write about them
so entertainingly, and then stick it up on the web for all to
see. (Maybe that fourth accomplishment isn't that big of
a deal, but it does take will.) I wish you all great heaps
of Karmic reward to go with the fun and huge money.
Now this is the kind of comment I can get behind! Now if you excuse me, I'll be rolling around in my piles of money...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
It's a shame the Honda is down in power compared to the other bikes. I browsed over to DynoJet.com to see if they had a PC for it yet, but they only list the Euro model (so far). I wonder how much power you could get back out of the engine with the right exhaust, intake and fuel mapping? A single-sided swingarm is always sexy...dope on this bike.

The Triumph may have the best power of the group, but it's ugly as a bucket full 'o ass holes. It's looks like it was assembled at a junkyard from 6-7 bikes! It doesn't help that it looks like a Hyosung 650.

I'll take the Kawi in that nice green color, thanks very much! With a side order of frame-sliders...just in case.

Kevin, have you heard anything about Japanese motorcycle production capacity? Are the factories back on line?
The CB must be mightily choked down, with heaps of potential. But the hottest setup might be getting cams from a RR.

If you get the Kawi, try out a 190/55 or 180/55 and let us know the improvement!

About the the Japanese factories, the tireless Dennis Chung ("Administrator") gave a better answer than I could! Thx, DC!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
First off, the the idiot in the vid was me. However, there were extenuating circumstances. Although our 2011 Z1000 made only 119 rwhp, our 2010 tester generated 123 hp. They are mechanically identical. Also, the Triumph had non-EPA pipes and an ECU remap, so it's not quite a stock-to-stock comparison. A Z with pipes and PC should push 130 pretty easy.

Second, there's no shortage of streetfighter/naked-bike shootouts on MO. Plus, putting together a huge shootout would overwhelm our limited resources.
Overwhelm your resources?

Dude I work for burritos!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I've always loved the Speed Triple, but this iteration... The lights are such an afterthought. I have no problem with the idea of changing the shape, but they stick out like a sore thumb. They are not integrated into the design of the bike, which is a shame because the bike is such a total package. Didn't they learn anything from Buell?!

For my money, I'd sooo choose the Kawasaki over they lot any day of the week. Make mine electric green.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Overwhelm your resources?

Dude I work for burritos!
Well, there is also time (for photography, pickups, dyno, daylight)...

And have you priced a good burrito lately? Damn Obama!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Everybody bags on the Triple's headlights, but I betcha they actually put quite a lot of thought into their new shape, and they probably also knew they'd get a lot of flack for it. They're probably waiting for everybody to get used to the new headlights.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Everybody bags on the Triple's headlights, but I betcha they actually put quite a lot of thought into their new shape, and they probably also knew they'd get a lot of flack for it. They're probably waiting for everybody to get used to the new headlights.
The Triple was always supposed to look like a crashed sportbike. Well, sportbikes haven't had round headlights for a long time.

The crashed cat-eye sportbike makes sense to me.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post

Ivan got 141 out of a Ninja 1000 with an Akra full system and a PCIII and his mapping. More imporantly, the Ninja 1000 picked up around 10hp all through the middle when the secondary butterflies were yanked from the intake and the difference mapped for.

I am beginning to think the "power valves" in the exhaust and secondary butterflies in the intake are more about noise control and/or toning down the throttle response than improving midrange power or trapping efficiency at large throttle openings and low rpm. Bottom line though, the Ninja / Z have very good engines in them and there is more power and response (which l like, as it makes casual hooligan antic power wheelies easier to initiate) in them.

I still like the Speed Triple though. They pull like a locomotive and sound awesome!

Last edited by Duken4evr : 05-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
YellowDuck
Founding Member

Default Nice review!

Okay, that was great. For street use bikes like these make so much more sense than litre-bikes tuned for maximum hp, but where the hp peak arrives 25 mph over the speed limit in first gear! The Speed Triple in particular just looks awesome on the dyno. Would love to ride one, even if 121 hp is more than I need. Kinda miss the round headlights though...

One criticism of the (otherwise great) article though...the following bit is crap, and is a mistake that writers on this site keep making over and over:

"As delivered, our CB was set up for a plush ride. Its shock’s ramped preload ring (the only one of the group with the easy-to-adjust system) was set to one of its lightest preload settings, making the other two bikes feel tauter overall."

Adding preload does NOT make the suspension more "taught" or less "plush". It just extends the shock and raises the rear ride height. The amount of force it will take to compress the spring a certain amount will not be affected by preload (unless the suspension is topped out). 90% of riders don't understand this, and part of the reason for that is because people who write for motorcycle magazines and websites keep screwing it up. I recognize that it is extremely non-intuitive, but so are lots of technical matters. Let's try to get past this misconception, shall we?
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote