Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Motorcycle Beginner: I Want to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18492-motorcycle-beginner-i-want-ride.html)

Administrator 05-05-2011 03:11 PM

Motorcycle Beginner: I Want to Ride

Original Article:
Motorcycle Beginner: I Want to Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner: I Want to Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Easy Rider 2 05-05-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 259505)
Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner: I Want to Ride

Looks good so far.

Take the class.
Start small.
ATGATT
All things the users here have advocated for a LONG time.

Do we get any credit in the articles ??? ;-)

cloud9 05-06-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 259509)
All things the users here have advocated for a LONG time.

Do we get any credit in the articles ??? ;-)

You guys should. Much of the advice that you guys have given will probably end up in the articles.

This is perfect for where I'm at in my motorcycling journey. I remember just a couple of weeks ago renewing my permit after originally getting one nearly 6 years ago.

I recently took a course similar to the msf and passed. Great feeling although the first day is by far the hardest. I remember halfway through some of the beginner exercises lacking confidence, at times gunning the throttle, overall riding pretty shaky thinking all my obsession over motorcycles would be for nothing if I couldn't ride one.

Now I'm buying all the gear I can afford and shopping insurance rates and scouring the Craigslist ads.

cloud9 05-06-2011 06:50 AM

The how i got into riding section was pretty interesting as well, to anyone that learned this way and survived to tell about......my props go to you.

New riders truly do have it good now a days.....

WARPrints 05-06-2011 01:10 PM

This should be a good read.
My 2 cents -- do some time on a dirt bike in the dirt. Learning how to control the bike, and understanding that a slide isn't fatal (to staying upright), makes riding streets much safer. Knowck on wood, but I've done a fair bit of sliding of the front and rear on the street, and I've never gone down (yet). I think my dirt experience has saved me so far.

tpratt 05-06-2011 01:13 PM

Great Read!

Great read. Can't wait for part 2!

MotoQT 05-06-2011 02:47 PM

Good article & looking 4ward to pt2!

tedwhite 05-07-2011 08:04 AM

I notice you seem to be studiously avoiding including Suzuki's TU250X in your beginner bike/entry level discussions. Is there a reason for that? Especially since you did such a glowing review of it awhile back in one of your 10 Best articles.

Ted

Easy Rider 2 05-07-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedwhite (Post 259577)
I notice you seem to be studiously avoiding including Suzuki's TU250X in your beginner bike/entry level discussions.

Who is this "you" that you are referring to ??

For the folks posting messages here, I think it is just an oversight because I think it is a fine little bike, as was the GZ 250.

If your question was aimed at the owners of the forum......I can't speak for them.

Kevin_Duke 05-07-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedwhite (Post 259577)
I notice you seem to be studiously avoiding including Suzuki's TU250X in your beginner bike/entry level discussions. Is there a reason for that? Especially since you did such a glowing review of it awhile back in one of your 10 Best articles.

Ted

That's a bit unfair for a site that named the TU one of the best bikes of 2010! The CBR250 is the hottest beginner bike of 2011.