Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
mdaugherty1988
Registered Member

Default looking for my first streetbike

Hi,
As you might have noticed, I am new to this forum. It appears that this is one of the better motorcycle forums out there so I decided to join up. Anyways...

I am looking for my first street bike. I have ridden dirt bikes for a while so I don't think "learning" will be an issue. I can't afford a newer bike, and it appears that the majority of the bikes in my price range are from the 70's to 80's in vintage. I am going to be using this bike primarily for transportation, so fuel economy is a top priority for me. However, I want something that can comfortably cruise at highway speeds (highway speed limit is 70mph where I'm at). From what I have read, 250 size and under bikes lack in highway cruising ability.

Basically, I am wondering what the minimum/most efficient engine size is that I can get away with while still allowing for comfortable highway cruising. I am primarily interested in the Suzuki GS and Honda CB bikes, although I am open to other relevant suggestions.

Thanks!
mdaugherty1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Try something in the 500 to 650 cc range. Stay away from the full-on supersport bikes, they will cost more and be a bit much, even with your dirtside experience.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.cycletrader.com/Suzuki-Gsx-600f-Motorcycles-In-Pompano-Beach-Florida/search-results?type=Motorcycle|356953&make=Suzuki|2320128 &model=Gsx+600f|764861117&zip=33066&radius=any&sor t=year:desc

http://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-Fz600-Motorcycles-In-Pompano-Beach-Florida/search-results?type=Motorcycle|356953&make=Yamaha|2321194 &model=Fz600|764862773&zip=33066&radius=any&sort=y ear:desc

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Get a newer (but used) Suzuki GS500. Stay away from vintage, unless that's really what you're into. Vintage also means vintage brakes and suspension, and there's no reason to put up with that if you don't have to. On the other hand, if you're mechanically inclined and like to work on your own bikes, get whatever you want; but you might have to put some money into getting it roadworthy (meaning: safe).

Okay. You could also get a mid- to late-nineties Nighthawk 750. But I don't consider that a vintage bike.

Last edited by trenttheuncatchable : 05-02-2011 at 03:36 PM.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaugherty1988 View Post
it appears that the majority of the bikes in my price range are from the 70's to 80's in vintage. I am going to be using this bike primarily for transportation, so fuel economy is a top priority for me.
Welcome to the fourm.

Here's the deal: You get what you pay for .........and sometimes the least expensive up front alternative ends but costing more in the long run.

Brand new is a bad deal because of depreciation. Going back too far, like you seem to be doing, is not good because condition is a crap shoot and repairs might kill you; then there is reliability.

Mid to late 90's bikes seem to be the sweet spot now for value.
Something $2,000-3,000 maybe in a 400 to 750, standard, naked or cruiser.

How far is your "commute" ?? What kind of roads ?? Where do you live ??

If you don't have $2,500 and don't qualify for a loan of that much........then you need a plan B.......because getting a really old bike probably won't really save you any money in the long run.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
mdaugherty1988
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Welcome to the fourm.

Here's the deal: You get what you pay for .........and sometimes the least expensive up front alternative ends but costing more in the long run.

Brand new is a bad deal because of depreciation. Going back too far, like you seem to be doing, is not good because condition is a crap shoot and repairs might kill you; then there is reliability.

Mid to late 90's bikes seem to be the sweet spot now for value.
Something $2,000-3,000 maybe in a 400 to 750, standard, naked or cruiser.

How far is your "commute" ?? What kind of roads ?? Where do you live ??

If you don't have $2,500 and don't qualify for a loan of that much........then you need a plan B.......because getting a really old bike probably won't really save you any money in the long run.
Thanks for the advice!

My commute is about 20 miles each way, on paved surface roads. I also do a lot of personal driving short (3-5mile) and medium (20-30mile) distances on both paved and country dirt roads.

I looked at the GS500 that was suggested and that seems to be a nice bike, the prices where I'm at (southeast Michigan) range from around $1-3K depending on the model year. As close to $1K as possible with out getting a POS is what I'm shooting for.

I am mechanically inclined, my Dad and I work on our own cars, dirtbikes, etc. If it needs minor things like carbs being rebuilt I'm not concerned, I just don't want to get a bike where I have to crack open the engine or anything like that.
mdaugherty1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaugherty1988 View Post
I looked at the GS500 that was suggested and that seems to be a nice bike, the prices where I'm at (southeast Michigan) range from around $1-3K depending on the model year. As close to $1K as possible with out getting a POS is what I'm shooting for.
Don't sell your $1000 short. My first bike was just over $1K and it was a beauty! It had no rust, paint was immaculate and it was in perfect running order. Oh, yeah, it only had 11,000 miles on it.

Just the other day here, there was a 1995 Honda Hinghthawk 750 (not too big for a starter) for a mere $1500. The pics look great and it even comes with aftermarket stuff. Look hard. Good deals can be had. Your first bike doesn't have to be a POS... unless you really enjoy working on your bike.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
Gabriel
Registered Member

Default Re

Wow that's feeling really great, When i got my first bicycle I took it everywhere for whole week I never allowed anyone to even touch it i was too possessive about it.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-17-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote