Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   What should I choose for my 2nd Bike? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18465-what-should-i-choose-for-my-2nd-bike.html)

tking08 05-02-2011 06:19 AM

What should I choose for my 2nd Bike?

I am looking for my second bike and have a few choices. I rode a Yamaha 500XS a few years back am am looking at getting a bike to save on fuel this summer.

Here are me choices:

2002-2005 Honda Shadow 750

2003-2005 Yamaha V-Star 650

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800

2006 Suzuki Boulvard M50 800

These are all in my price range and am looking to buy within a week. Thanks in advance for your imput! What should I choosefor my 2nd Bike?

acecycleins 05-02-2011 06:47 AM

The Shadow or the M50 are my two favs of the group. Look at the resale values and see what's holding it's value the best. Typically, the SHadow will do slightly better.

Easy Rider 2 05-02-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tking08 (Post 259346)
What should I choosefor my 2nd Bike?

All good bikes. Not a "bad" choice in the bunch, AFAIK.

Some owners of bikes that size complain about no "omph" at freeway speeds........but that doesn't come into play until you get above 80 mph.

I think you're gonna be on your own on this one......unless somebody knows about any mechanical defect problems.

The choice is likely to be MUCH easier if you can get a test ride on each.

Just for the record, total cost of ownership for a bike, tires being a big part, might not be less........even with the savings on gas. You can reduce that a little bit by getting shaft drive but you still have extra expense for registration and insurance.

pushrod 05-02-2011 07:04 AM

+1 on 'economy'

If you crunch the numbers, riding a motorcycle isn't a great way to save money.

What you save in gas is way overshadowed by tires and oil changes (particularly if you run synthetic oil) and the cost of PPE.

But the grin factor is a BIG plus on the bike's side of the ledger...

I would suggest the Bonneville or Thunderbird of similar vintage as your list for your consideration

acecycleins 05-02-2011 07:38 AM

HEY- I'd consider a nice used Bonneville, too. A little more power for the highway. Excellent mannners in the twisties and they are pretty comfortable. Just thinking out loud.....

cloud9 05-02-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 259357)
+1 on 'economy'

If you crunch the numbers, riding a motorcycle isn't a great way to save money.

What you save in gas is way overshadowed by tires and oil changes (particularly if you run synthetic oil) and the cost of PPE.

But the grin factor is a BIG plus on the bike's side of the ledger...

I would suggest the Bonneville or Thunderbird of similar vintage as your list for your consideration

For the money I'm putting into my daily driver I feel it's worth it especially for the grin factor.

Also being able to avoid the grind of rush hour traffic is worth the price alone.

It's one thing to pay nearly $5 for gas. It's another to completely waste it sitting in rush hour traffic day in and day out.

Easy Rider 2 05-02-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud9 (Post 259359)
Also being able to avoid the grind of rush hour traffic is worth the price alone.

And being on a bike will solve that problem........how ??
(Unless you are in California and plan to "lane share" a lot........and that is NOT a practice recommended for rookies.)

Sitting atop a bike at 0-5 MPH is less fun than being in a cage.......especially in the afternoons when the asphalt temp. often tops 100 F.

Morbo the Destroyer 05-02-2011 10:32 AM

What is your first bike?

pushrod 05-02-2011 11:11 AM

His first bike >was< a '500XS.'

A Star Ride 05-02-2011 01:00 PM

The bikes you listed are pretty similar. I owned a 800 Vulcan for 14 years and loved it, no mechanical problems, had an electrical failure in the read fender which was cheaply remedied. I can't complain except for selling it.