Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18426-2011-gentlemen-sportbike-shootout.html)

Administrator 04-27-2011 03:31 PM

2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout

Original Article:
2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 04-27-2011 04:32 PM

Thank you, gentlemen. Excellent review of one of my favorite categories of motorcycles!

(I bet Duken's going to be surprised.)

Kevin_Duke 04-27-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 259110)
Thank you, gentlemen. Excellent review of one of my favorite categories of motorcycles!

(I bet Duken's going to be surprised.)

I PM'd him to write me a sidebar on the mods he did to his FZ, but he didn't respond. :(

Morbo the Destroyer 04-27-2011 07:06 PM

A really good video in this one. Thanks, it adds so much to the stories that the print mags just can't provide. And it wasn't yet another completely predictable "shootout" of niche-market bikes; really sort of a mix-n-match of $10K UJMs.

The only thing I don't like is seeing how much better your roads are for biking than ours.

Kevin_Duke 04-27-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 259116)
A really good video in this one. Thanks, it adds so much to the stories that the print mags just can't provide. And it wasn't yet another completely predictable "shootout" of niche-market bikes; really sort of a mix-n-match of $10K UJMs.

The only thing I don't like is seeing how much better your roads are for biking than ours.

Glad you dug it. Our roads might be better, but there are prices to be paid for living on the Left Coast. Still, it beats working for a living! :)

sliphorn 04-28-2011 08:18 AM

Great review, guys. My kind of bikes. As an owner of an '06 Triumph Sprint ST, I'm curious as to how the ST or new GT would have fared in this comparo.

Duken4evr 04-28-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 259112)
I PM'd him to write me a sidebar on the mods he did to his FZ, but he didn't respond. :(

Argh! My chance at fame and fortune in the motojournalism world blown!

Been spending too much time on the Husaberg boards. Loving the new FE450 by the way. What a cool bike.

Well written test guys. I know I am an annoying FZ1 fanboi, but I actually agree with you. In stock form as tested, the Ninja 1000 is a better overall package.

Repost from awhile ago. Lemme bring over these dyno charts again, though, as this is the proper place for them. The FZ1 positively is transformed by external exhaust mods and a Power Commander :)

Quote:

How about we have some fun tuning literbike nakeds eh? I brought dyno charts! Being the old news bikes they are, FZ1s can be had new for far less than MSRP. Being a cheapskake who likes to modify bikes, this excites me

First up, a stock FZ1 vs. a stock Z1000/Ninja 1000. The FZ1 does not look so hot in stock form. Weak midrange (for a 1000) and the throttle response is soggy. The bike sucks right? Ya, it does.

Now let's put a full exhaust, air filter with an enlarged airbox opening and a correctly mapped PCIII on the FZ1 and try it again shall we? Modded FZ1 vs. stock Z1000. Cost of mods, about $650 for the Yosh full system, $375 for the PCIII and air filter, the airbox mod is free.

Holy mother of midrange power lifts! The top end is not too shabby either. Yamaha put a really awful exhaust on the FZ1. Forget slip ons - you have to go with the full system :)

Now to be fair, the Z1000 with a full Akra exhaust and it's secondary butterflies removed. Modded vs. at least partially modded, in other words:

The new Ninja 1000 gains nicely, but the old dog FZ1 ain't dead yet. With the cheap buy in due to dealers willing to deal on leftover bikes, and a little owner involvement, the old girl FZ1 is still pretty competitive. Too bad Yamaha corked it up so bad from the factory. A beast lurks within with an all up cost for the modded up FZ1 still well under 10K. Mine pretty much was right at 10K, as I put on a Penske shock too. For me the above info is a real consideration when buying as my bikes are never stock for long :D
On a final note, I prefer the bikini fairing look of the FZ1, ironically because of the forbidden fruit could not afford it could never have it at the time 1984 Kawasaki GPZ1100. For me, the FZ is the modernized, somewhat confused spiritual descendant of that way cool motorcycle.

Kevin_Duke 04-28-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliphorn (Post 259140)
Great review, guys. My kind of bikes. As an owner of an '06 Triumph Sprint ST, I'm curious as to how the ST or new GT would have fared in this comparo.

The Sprint would've been a good addition to this group. We left it out bcuz it's a dedicated sport-tourer, while these in the shootout aren't. But with that sweet-sounding Triple and its abundant midrange, it can hold its head high in this group.

Kevin_Duke 04-28-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 259143)
Argh! My chance at fame and fortune in the motojournalism world blown!

Well, better late than never! Thanks for submitting this forum post.

The way the FZ improves after being uncorked is nothing short of astonishing. But, in stock form, the charts show how badly it falls behind the Ninja.

Duken4evr 04-28-2011 11:22 AM

Agree Kevin! The FZ1 motor is a little changed '04 - '06 R1 motor with some really bad exhaust plumbing. Drop an R1 head gasket in it and it lifts the whole curve another 3hp or so. That is too much work for me though.

The Ninja has other attributes that are attractive. Factory luggage options, the adjustable windshield. If buying today it would be a really hard choice. The Ninja did not exist back in '06 when I bought my bike. At the time, compared to that era Bandit and the 919 that were the only other bikes I was considering and for the discounted price the dealer let the FZ1 go for, it was a no brainer!

By the way, Ivan's $195 "Fuel Cut Eliminator" banishes all throttle response harshness from the FZ1. It is a must have, especially on the earlier models. The old girl needs a little help, but she shines when all dolled up :)