Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurban View Post
540lbs wet and 106 CRANK hp. Undoubtedly it has its virtues like the Suzuki but I don't think they would be enough to outshine the others in this comparison.

Advertised weight and power numbers > anything else?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #22
eurban
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Advertised weight and power numbers > anything else?
Physics?

The CBF is too heavy and too detuned to compete with the Ninja (or FZ) in the sporting aspects of a comparison. With no clear winner to the "Gentleman's Sportbike" comparison I can't see its finer qualities (top notch street handling, smooth power delivery, ABS, Honda's overall attention to details/refinement) giving it a leg up in a group of bikes that are being compared as comfortable sportbikes. Probably not really the category for it . . .Perhaps as a basic sport tourer or better yet as simply as UJM, adaptable to many uses, its just the ticket.

Last edited by eurban : 05-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
newagetwotone
Registered Member

So clearly ONLY speed is important?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #24
eurban
Registered Member

Clearly??

Here's the intro to the article:

"Here are three ways to satisfy a thirst for a powerful sportbike without the pretzel-ed legs and sore wrists."

Weight and power are strongly against the Honda particularly in a comparison with the above mission statement. Is it the only thing that matters? Perhaps it would be helpful if you participated a bit more in this conversation and explained the virtues of the CBF that would make it competitive here. I have ridden the FZ (I own a heavily modded 06) and have taken the Ninja for a limited test ride. The CBF isn't an option in the states but I would love to know what we are missing. . . . .
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #25
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Honda is bringing in a limited quantity of the CBR1000F to the US

2011 CB1000R Overview - Honda Powersports

For my tastes, the Honda seems a bit tame and it has a funny looking pipe. It might be cool with a few tweaks though. Sounds like another bike that is of my aquaintance - LOL
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Honda is bringing in a limited quantity of the CBR1000F to the US

2011 CB1000R Overview - Honda Powersports

For my tastes, the Honda seems a bit tame and it has a funny looking pipe. It might be cool with a few tweaks though. Sounds like another bike that is of my aquaintance - LOL
I'm confused. Is the CB1000R the same as the CBR1000F?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
eurban
Registered Member

No the CB1000r is a naked, first available as a 2008 model in various non US places. Here's the Motocycle.com review . . .
British SBK Champ Steve Hislop Dies

PS: ignore the "death notice" on the link. It is the cb1000r review. Can't figure why the hell it does that???

Last edited by eurban : 05-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

[quote=eurban;259327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman53 View Post
540lbs wet and 106 CRANK hp. Undoubtedly it has its virtues like the Suzuki but I don't think they would be enough to outshine the others in this comparison.
I hear good things about the 1000F, but it's motor will handily be outgunned in this group.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
arless
Registered Member

Thumbs up gentleman's sport ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Original Article:
2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
OK, OK seems you boys do not have a clue how to ride a Yamaha FZ1 sport standard. Also from 1500 rpm to 12,000 rpm the motor pulls smooth, at 8000 rpm it has a big hit all the way to 12000 rpm. Yes it's soft on the bottom and mid range also. Which is good for in town riding and new-by friendly. The motor is sort of a Clark Kent type of motorcycle. The suspension works better than any of the bikes tested. The Kawasaki vibrates to the point of annoying and rattling, that it's hard to have fun on the Ninja. The Suzuki has no top end power and not much mid-range power either. The ergos on the FZ1 are by far the best, as is the gas mileage. If you had given it a chance you would have enjoyed the sound of that 20 valve motor which is sooo... intoxicating. Clutch and transmissions like cutting hot butter. Adjustable suspension, a center stand. And the lowest price of the other two by a good margin. Nuff said
arless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #30
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

It's nice that you're enthusiastic about your FZ1, but a bit silly saying these guys have no clue how to ride one. And saying that it's hard to have fun on the Ninja doesn't make much sense either.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote