Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersch View Post
Good review, but I have to disagree with your comment about hoping for more hp. This could only come at the expense of low end torque and would completely change the character of the bike (and probably raise the price). I bought a 2007 Bandit 1250, and still love it because of what it is. It really is in a class by itself.
If a 1043cc Kawasaki can make good low-end grunt and also have 120-some horses, it shouldn't be a tuning impossibility to get the 1250 Suzuki to break triple-digit horses without losing much, if anything, on the bottom. But to each his own, as the Ninja 1000 can't touch the Bandit below 6000 rpm.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
How can Suzuki get under 100 hp from 1250 CCs? Somebody needs to give one of these to Duken to see what he can brew up. The bike must be seriously stuffed up.

The fairing comment seems a little harsh, at least from the photos. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it looks well done from here. Any word on color selections, or is it any color you want as long as it's black?

I wouldn't include the Viffer in that comparo, but the Ninja 1k and Sprint are clearly it's competitors. If you have the opportunity to compare with luggage attached, all the better. I doubt many of these will be purchased without at least sidebags. It's already 1-up on the Ninja; which cannot carry both top and side bags simultaneously.
The GSX's fairing pieces look like an afterthought compared to its contemporaries. Not ugly, just not inspired or beautiful.

Yep, same color choice as early Model Ts.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombast View Post
I do some sport-touring on my zx-14 with an aftermarket seat and soft bags. How would this bike compare, I wonder?
Unassailable power, identical weight, tighter ergos, and $2000 less in your pocket.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
tersch
Founding Member

Default You're missing the point

[quote=Morbo the Destroyer;258836]How can Suzuki get under 100 hp from 1250 CCs? Somebody needs to give one of these to Duken to see what he can brew up. The bike must be seriously stuffed up.

If Suzuki upped the hp at the expense of torque and price, then this bike would be in the same category as the fz1 and the Ninja 1000. In it's current state it is in a class by itself.

Look at the dyno graphs, not just the peak numbers.
tersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
mikedard
Founding Member

What kind of mileage did you get with this 4.8 gal Sport Tourer? Was this information in the article?
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
bombast
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Unassailable power, identical weight, tighter ergos, and $2000 less in your pocket.
Dunno about less in pocket. I picked up a new leftover '09 zx14 last year for $9K even.

I'm 6'2 and the pegs are a bit high, but not so bad that I have bothered to install the Buell pegs yet. The reach to the bar is fine with my long arms.

ABS would be nice, but I really like the responsiveness of the zx14 engine.
bombast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

[quote=tersch;258844]
Quote:
How can Suzuki get under 100 hp from 1250 CCs? Somebody needs to give one of these to Duken to see what he can brew up. The bike must be seriously stuffed up.

If Suzuki upped the hp at the expense of torque and price, then this bike would be in the same category as the fz1 and the Ninja 1000. In it's current state it is in a class by itself.

Look at the dyno graphs, not just the peak numbers.
I wouldn't compare this to the FZ; they're different catagories. Having said that, look at the hp/ torque figures for it's smaller-engined competitors:

Sprint ST 1050cc: HP = 123 Torque = 76 ftlbs
Ninja 1000s 1000cc: HP 136 Torque = 81 ftlbs

Ok, so now you're going to say: "but Morbo, that torque is available from .00005 RPM and up! Think about blasting out of the corners with your 300lb girlfriend on board!"

Ok, and Morbo says: "puny Earthling, I BBQ's my girlfriend. But, if rapid acceleration were my priority, I'd put a couple more teeth on the rear sprocket."

I'll bet there's a boatload of power in that engine that a decent set of pipes and a ECU kit can get out. Remember, you can saw a board shorter, but you can't saw it longer.

I'm looking at the dyno graph and wondering "what did they do to

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Paging Dale Walker! Remove secondary butterflies (does not light up the dyno, but does light up part throttle response on these "standard" bikes), tune the fueling, add a full exhaust = I don't see any loss, except to the owner's wallet of course, only gain.

The 1250 has tiny (36mm) throttle bodies for it's displacement. This chokes it down. The tradeoff is a freight train worthy power curve. With the full exhaust and Dale's mild and not all that expensive external tweaks, the result is 132hp and 96 foot pounds of torque with a reading that does not drop below 80 foot pounds at any usable rpm. Such power would effortlessly move the bike down the road. Given something resembling maintenance, I can't imagine the completely unstressed 1250 Suzuki engine ever wearing out in our lifetimes either.

Having ridden a stock 1250 back to back with my modded FZ1 (not a fair comparo, but that is what it was), I prefer the snappy handling and manic top end rush that comes with the FZ1. The Bandit is far more practical, but the screaming scary fast 7 to 12K FZ1 pull is pure adrenaline stupid hair on fire fun. I have a Toyota Camry for my practical needs. In my opinion, the Suzuki 1250 is the Toyota Camry of motorcycles. Can't really fault it, but it has no fire. While it needs to be practical, a bike is for fun darn it, not solely for practicality

If doing a super long ride, it is hard to beat the Susuki 1250 though. Comfy, heavy, long low and stable handling, with very good fuel economy. One could do a lot worse for cross country work, especially if a 1250 was purchased used for relative peanuts.

Dyno chart from Holeshot Performance - stock vs. full exhaust, air filter and tuning via Dales TFI box, which is more rudimentary, but also far cheaper than a Power Commander.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1250_dynochart_hdr.jpg (100.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Duken4evr : 04-24-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Auphliam
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The smallish tank might not be too crippling. A buddy of mine had a Bandit 1250, it got really good gas mileage (upper 40s, even 50 mpg at times). These things are geared tall and do make loads of torque at low rpm. You can scoot along and never break 5,000 rpm. As a result, they are quite efficient with gas.

Rode the B-12 back to back with my FZ1. They are completely different - the FZ being revvy and light on it's feet, the B12 feeling like an long and old school sled. This is not necessarily a bad thing. A nice looking torque laden gas efficient smooth riding cost effective and stone reliable "sled" with some sporting ability would be a nice way to go from here to way over there!
That about hits it right there, don't it?

Nice write up...nice bike.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
newbie-b
Founding Member

I just sold my SV1000S to pay bills and when I come out on the other end, I may have to give this bike a gander....I am just curious about the 4.9 fuel tank and whether it would be good for long trips. My SV was 4.2 so it was used as a commuter bike....
newbie-b is offline   Reply With Quote