Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Honda CB1000R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18392-2011-honda-cb1000r-review.html)

Administrator 04-20-2011 03:16 PM

2011 Honda CB1000R Review

Original Article:
2011 Honda CB1000R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Honda CB1000R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 04-21-2011 05:03 AM

Makes me miss the hell out of my Brutale.....................

Morbo the Destroyer 04-21-2011 05:17 AM

Ruh-Roh.

My friend Adrian is a couple weeks away from buying an FZ-8 (which I'm looking forward to "testing"). I just sent him the link for this article and now he's thinking a couple thousand more might be ok!

Any word on availability? Is the bike here now? I haven't seen it at Riva yet, and they usually get new bikes in right away.

Duken4evr 04-21-2011 06:45 AM

Tell Adrian to skip the FZ8 and the CBR, and to go buy a leftover FZ1 for 7 grand, spend the "savings" on a Yosh full system and a Power Commander with one of my maps on it (easily found on the FZ1OA board, I am quite the post hound there), and roost off into the sunset with Z1000 matching midrange power and 145 to 150 screaming top end hp at the wheel instead of 90, 107 or 120...

When they built the FZ1, Yamaha took an 04-06 R1 motor and strangled it badly. The good thing is when you unstrangle it, you have a motor with more power than that vintage R1 in the midrange that still pulls hard all the way into it's 12,250 rpm limiter. The FZ1 completely sucks in stock form, but absolutely kicks butt when fed properly and freed of it's God Awful OEM exhaust system and slow motion party pooper secondary butterflies.

All the hard parts are there, let down by a confused supporting cast. Open it up, rip em out, feed it properly and hold on tight baby! All up cost with the above mods is still less than MSRP on even an FZ8. Seems like a no brainer to me, as long as these deals are out there.

This new Honda seems like a "nice" bike. I don't want my bike to be nice. I want it to be able to scare the sh%t out of me on command ;)

jmdonald 04-21-2011 07:05 AM

Streetfighter Battle Royale

I forgot about this bike. Unlike the other Manufacturers Honda seems to have an extreme lack of focus for certain parts of their lineup. (Maybe it's just me).This is the type of ride that brought me into the world of Motorcycles but as good as this bike seems to be my passion meter is in the sub 1000 rpm range. I am looking for an addition to the Donald Garage and maybe after the Streetfighter Battle Royale I will be able to find the renewed excitement I need in my jaded old age.

pushrod 04-21-2011 07:14 AM

That "comically long" hero peg is probably there to protect the 'tragically large' exhaust can.

Snatch that fugly thing off there and put a proper slip-on on it, you could probably lose the hero peg. And lose several pounds, methinks.

And why no pictures of the left side?

DataDan 04-21-2011 07:48 AM

...the CB1000R’s claimed wet weight is a substantial 485 pounds — about 30 pounds more than the 2007 CBR1000RR sportbike. It seems odd that a naked and minimalistic motorcycle weighs so much more than the fully-faired cousin it was derived from.
The motor came from the RR, not the rest of the bike. For info, the CB1000R's full-tank weight is a few pounds more than the Z1000, a few pounds less than the FZ1, and the same as the Speed Triple.

I'm very interested to see what kind of dragstrip performance Kevin Duke can wring out of the Honda and whether its power deficit (compared to the Kawasaki and Yamaha) really makes that much difference.

Dr_Sprocket 04-21-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 258786)
I forgot about this bike. Unlike the other Manufacturers Honda seems to have an extreme lack of focus for certain parts of their lineup. (Maybe it's just me).This is the type of ride that brought me into the world of Motorcycles but as good as this bike seems to be my passion meter is in the sub 1000 rpm range. I am looking for an addition to the Donald Garage and maybe after the Streetfighter Battle Royale I will be able to find the renewed excitement I need in my jaded old age.

I agree with you, JM. The reviews for this bike are all quite positive. IMHO, the ride may be sublime, but the styling lets me down. If I were to buy a streetfighter, it would have to be the Ducati Streetfighter (or perhaps the new Aprilia).

Kevin_Duke 04-21-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 258774)
Ruh-Roh.

My friend Adrian is a couple weeks away from buying an FZ-8 (which I'm looking forward to "testing"). I just sent him the link for this article and now he's thinking a couple thousand more might be ok!

Any word on availability? Is the bike here now? I haven't seen it at Riva yet, and they usually get new bikes in right away.

I know which one I'd choose. I'll bet the CB steers just as quick or quicker than the FZ8. But there is a hefty price premium...

Bikes should be arriving at dealers shortly.

Z-Rod 04-21-2011 05:39 PM

Our dealer said they've been held up by the earthquake. They were due in April, he now says June. We'll see.

The euro mags have all given it similar good reviews. One thing I am looking forward to seeing is how the seating is. I haven't sat on the Kwak Z-thou recently, but the first version had way to little leg room for me. More recent versions look to be about the same.

I think the trend of more sporty nakeds/standards has gone so far that the bikes are not as user friendly as they need to be. The whole purpose of bikes like the original FZR-1 was something with a solid motor and chasis that was useful. If I want a cool looking bike that makes my knees and wrists ache after an hour or two in the saddle I have all sorts of GSX-R's, Ninjas and Ducati's to choose from. My usual ride is a two or three day trip, with six or more hours in the saddle.

The Yamaha went from great all-arounder to stripped down sport bike. Perhaps that's what sells. But it's not really a standard anymore. Ditto for the Speed Triple - the first interation was the most useful, if overweight and underpowered.

The new Ninja 1000 and the Suzi Bandit El Supremo look more useful.

The Honda headlight is really weird looking. Different just to be different? What's wrong with the pleasing "round" shape? What's the little light under the big light for -- finding your keys?

I do like the single sided swingarm -adds a touch of class to it. If it really does sit like the CB-750 I may get one. (I\'m still sorry I sold my ZRX-1100, in retrospect it was pretty decent, if a bit dodgy in the handling dept.