Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
pontiacman1980
Registered Member

Default looking to ride

i have never been on a bike before other then a mini bike when i was about 10 i am now 30 looking to get in to street bikes really big yamaha fan for everything i have been on (atvs and snowmobiles) and what i am looking for is a sport bike i can sit up on more i have sat on a few and i like the ones i sit up more on almost droped a gsxr 600 just trying to get on it any advice on bikes that fit what i want would be great and also i was wanting to know is if i take the iowa motorcycle safety course would i still have to drive for the dmv when i go to get my license thanks for anyone that can help
pontiacman1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

It's different for every state, but you should be able to just go to their website and find out.

Don't get a 600cc sportbike as your first bike (i.e. for Yamaha that means *don't* get a 600R or an R6 as your first bike).

Yamaha doesn't have current street models that are good choices for a first bike. You should buy used. And you should have a better idea of what to get after you take the MSF course. So read the new rider sticky, take the course, then make a decision on your first bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
pontiacman1980
Registered Member

so far im mostly looking at the fz6 and the ninja 500 or 600 planed on buying used before i get a new one
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacman1980 View Post
so far im mostly looking at the fz6 and the ninja 500 or 600 planed on buying used before i get a new one
Ninja 500 or 650 might do. The 600 is a real racing bike and probably would NOT do.......for several reasons.

Have a look at "naked" bikes too, like the ER6N or Gladius, sometimes referred to as standards.

How big a person are you ?

At 30, I'm curious as to why you seem to think that it isn't necessary to form your messages into sentences. It is rude.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
pontiacman1980
Registered Member

i am about 6 foot 1 and 215 pounds and sorry its just a habit i have and just so everyone knows i have been on snowmobiles and atvs from the age of 17 i know bikes are not at all the same but i do have alot of time on the others
Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

The FZ6 isn't quite as hard-core as an R6. It's not an ideal choice for a 1st bike, but it's not completely outrageous.

Usually if you pass the MSF class, you get a certificate from them that you can take to the DMV to get your M/C license endorsement. I'm sure the info on that is available on your state's DMV website.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacman1980 View Post
sorry its just a habit i have
So.....even after getting a complaint, you still won't have the courtesy to try and make your messages easier to read ????

I'm done.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
So.....even after getting a complaint, you still won't have the courtesy to try and make your messages easier to read ????

I'm done.
Wow ER2, if you haven't gotten used to today's txt style typing and incomplete sentences you are going to be really disappointed for the rest of your reading life. The guy stated enough info to give us a clue. And unless you're an English major, the majority of us don't use correct syntax or complete sentences when in the forum.

Pontiac- As a first ride I suggest you buy a first generation SV650s with the lower fairing kit and drop it a few times b4 you move up. Why? Cost! I stings less to drop a $3500 motorcycle than it does a $8000 motorcycle. It will give you time to learn and build skills for your 600 supersport.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
the majority of us don't use correct syntax or complete sentences when in the forum.
Sorry but that is just plain wrong.

Everybody at least makes a good faith attempt and that's all I'm asking for.

He in effect said, I know how to do it right but choose not to.
That is rude and disrespectful.
Run together posts are harder to read.
You get back the respect that you give out.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

He could be typing in CAPS...

p-man1980, I'd go one better than Kirk, and suggest the non-fairinged SV-650.

Less plastic to break, and the ergo's might suit you better. I'm 6' even, and I find the S riding position a bit hard on the wrists.

As suggested earlier, go find the 'New Rider' "sticky" and wade through it. Pack a lunch.

You might want to look at a Dual Purpose ("DP") bike in the 400cc-ish size.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote