Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Victory Vegas 8-Ball Project: "Evil 8" Part 2 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18364-victory-vegas-8-ball-project-evil-8-part-2-a.html)

Administrator 04-15-2011 11:24 AM

Victory Vegas 8-Ball Project: "Evil 8" Part 2

Original Article:
Victory Vegas 8-Ball Project: "Evil 8" Part 2

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Victory Vegas 8-Ball Project: "Evil 8" Part 2 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pm9654 04-17-2011 03:57 AM

Interesting, and I like what you did with the front end. I would have gone a different route with the back shock, probably going with a Penske. (though their pretty $$) In reading this article, I went back and read the previous one. Have you ever gotten the hp/torque to come out yet? I've ridden Victory's since '99, and there is no way a stage I Vic should come in so low, let alone UNDER a stocker.

kp1600 04-17-2011 08:30 PM

Excellent, This is a version that victory should have produced. This conversion has been done by several victory owners, and is usually called a "king vegas" cause the kingpin front end is also used. The differance with the kingpin front end mostly being just the single front disc rather then the dual of the hammer. I didnt know the differance in the rear shock so excellent info there.

This is a project that I would like to do myself so I found the artical intresting, so thanks for that and good job.

Kevin_Duke 04-18-2011 07:45 AM

Thanks, guys. We're quite pleased with the chassis mods we made. While some cruiser riders will wonder why we bothered, more aggressive riders will readily notice the improved handling and braking.

We went with Victory parts because we had heard this was a simple bolt-on swap and it could be done cheaply if you're patient finding used components.

Stay tuned for the our next instalment when we fit a new 2-into-1 collector exhaust and an ECU remap.

Auphliam 04-18-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 258636)
Thanks, guys. We're quite pleased with the chassis mods we made. While some cruiser riders will wonder why we bothered, more aggressive riders will readily notice the improved handling and braking.

We went with Victory parts because we had heard this was a simple bolt-on swap and it could be done cheaply if you're patient finding used components.

Stay tuned for the our next installment when we fit a new 2-into-1 collector exhaust and an ECU remap.

Nice work. Now just get that Freedom motor making the kind of power its capable of and you'll have a goddam fun motorcycle. When you guys are done, would you mind printing up all parts of this article and sending it off to Spirit Lake?

Morbo the Destroyer 04-18-2011 11:22 AM

"the Hammer’s rear tire is too not wide for our liking"

I'll admit I'm a bit under the weather today, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what that sentence means. That it's too skinny?

Anyway, it's always fun customizing a cruiser. How much $$ have you put into it? I never kept an accounting of the money I spent on my '77 Low Rider; I figured it would just depress me to know.

Kevin_Duke 04-18-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 258651)

I'll admit I'm a bit under the weather today, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what that sentence means. That it's too skinny?

Anyway, it's always fun customizing a cruiser. How much $$ have you put into it? I never kept an accounting of the money I spent on my '77 Low Rider; I figured it would just depress me to know.

Ah, should be "rear tire is too wide..." Should be fixed shortly.

As for cost, we'll assume a home modder wouldn't be buying a fork and shock brand new from Vic, but rather as pre-owned parts. Prices are included in the articles, and Part 1 has a handy price list at its bottom. Mix and match to make your own, and your numbers could look much different from ours.

Sir_Angus 04-19-2011 05:47 AM

Due diligence

I understand that you're keeping everything Vic and rather simple bolt-ons ... Did you try keeping the 21" with the new inverted fork? I, like others, am willing to sacrifice a bit of handling for style. The 18" Hammer wheel makes it look like a stock metric.

Also, how about an air-adjustable suspension in the rear? Seems like a good solution to address the performance vs style issue. Besides y'all seem to praise it on the Vic CC review.

Kevin_Duke 04-19-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 258678)
I understand that you're keeping everything Vic and rather simple bolt-ons ... Did you try keeping the 21" with the new inverted fork? I, like others, am willing to sacrifice a bit of handling for style. The 18" Hammer wheel makes it look like a stock metric.

Also, how about an air-adjustable suspension in the rear? Seems like a good solution to address the performance vs style issue. Besides y'all seem to praise it on the Vic CC review.

No, we didn't try the 21 with the new fork. The idea was to go a bit sporty, and the 21-incher didn't suit that plan. Not sure if the CC shock would bolt on to the 8 Ball. Again, we went for simplicity. Your mileage may vary...

Buzglyd 04-19-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 258651)

Are you sure it was a Low Rider or were you riding the newest Victory Goofball?