Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Everything in life is a compromise. Trade some of this for more of that.

What are you riding? Are there no compromises? Every aspect is as good as it can be with no downside?

No, you won't be taking a cruiser to track-day because it's the wrong tool for the job, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful and practical design, or that the engineering sucks, or that the rider isn't really good at it.

I'd like to have a Diavel, a Griso 8V... Oh hell, the SV-650 would be a hoot too, but I'm trying to save money so I can retire sooner than later and it's gonna have to be one bike at a time for now.

I still am of the opinion that what defines any motorcycle is the motor. I like twins and triples myself, your mileage may vary.
Good defense, Larry. You have great reasons to be proud of your ride. I think it's cool.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #32
pm9654
Registered Member

You know Kevin, try one more addition along with your new ones. Throw on a S&S airbox with the new pipes. Can make a nice difference, and is not too expensive.
pm9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #33
Duken4evr
Founding Member

It is becoming clearer to me that modern bikes are better engineered than ever - better port shapes, combustion chamber design, etc, and many even put out pretty good power while meeting EPA regs, but true beasts lurk within, waiting to be unleashed by undoing cam timing, exhaust configuration and fueling/ignition timing set to appease the EPA.

I had no idea that the Victory platform could put out this kind of power before happening on this thread. Makes me all the more interested in the brand as a down the road purchase. There is a history of enjoyment that comes with releasing hidden horsepower. Aside from power, well tuned engines make better sounds, feel better and are far more fun to ride than their comparatively flat stock cousins. Case in point my current bike
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #34
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
You know Kevin, try one more addition along with your new ones. Throw on a S&S airbox with the new pipes. Can make a nice difference, and is not too expensive.
Sounds like a mod worth investigating, but Victory is asking for Evil 8 to be returned soon.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #35
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
The comments were somewhat tongue in cheek. Somewhat. Hell, I rode a Harley for 15 years. But, I think if you look at cruisers with a completely objective viewpoint, they don't hold up too well. Does a 21" front wheel contribute to anything but appearance? Would anyone buy a narrow-angle, pushrod V if it didn't fit a certain look? Can anyone make the case that having your feet out in front of you is a better way to control a bike?

I think not.

I'm glad cruisers are popular, because I think the more people that ride, the better it is for me. But I also think that people who start with a cruiser and truly get into motorcycling for more than a social scene, lifestyle, ego trip, whatever, wind up on something else.
This is the same stupid arguement going on in the car world ... imports vs american muscle. Why can't you love your bike without pissing on mine?

I've been riding for over 15 yrs. Started off on a Yamaha Virago. Then an old shovelhead Harley. Followed by a GSXR-1000. Finally a Honda Saber... Next maybe a Vegas 8-ball.

It's like Larry already pointed out each bike had its pros and cons. Standards are arguebly the best beginner bikes. I had to bury too many young airmen because they started on sport bikes they didn't have enough experience to ride. They give a novice rider the capability with the illusion of control. Any longtime rider will tell you that the moment you don't respect the machine is when your ass hits the pavement.

Unlike your theorum quoted above, I rode my GSXR hard, but the point came where it didn't fit my lifestyle any longer. I'm not 18 anymore, joints don't move like they used to, so now a more relaxed riding position (with my feet out in front of me) is preferred.

Cruisers aren't about 0-100 splits or dragging a knee through the twisties. They're for enjoying the experience of riding ... The sun on your face, wind in your hair, esprit de corps and being free.

I welcome all riders as comrades.

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 05-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #36
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
I've been riding for over 15 yrs. Started off on a Yamaha Virago. Then an old shovelhead Harley. Followed by a GSXR-1000. Finally a Honda Saber... Next maybe a Vegas 8-ball.

Went for a ride with a co-worker last night, he has a GSXR 1000. That was interesting. He was pretty shocked because he needed to scream the Suzuki to keep up.... He said "Your exhaust smells good" (108 octane race gas & Marvels mystery oil mixture, one ounce per gallon of high test). We passed a slow truck and a couple of cars. I started in 3rd, he was in 2nd. He said "I was 3/4 thru 4th gear before I felt like I was catching up to you". It's like 2 different worlds. I'm all torque, he's all high RPM horepower. Here, I drew my graph over the Gixxer for fun:

Quote:
I'm not 18 anymore, joints don't move like they used to, so now a more relaxed riding position (with my feet out in front of me) is preferred.
Amen. I'm 50 and that Suzuki is uncomfortable as hell.

Quote:
Cruisers aren't about 0-100 splits
Depends on the cruiser. Triumph Rocket III? Suzuki M-109R? V-Rod Muscle? My junk?
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Depends on the cruiser. Triumph Rocket III? Suzuki M-109R? V-Rod Muscle? My junk?
I wouldn't consider any of those a pure cruiser. They all seem to be hybrids to me.

And, yeah, your bike is the exception when it comes to speed. If I decide to go Vegas instead of Raider or Night train, I'll have lots of questions.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #38
notabiker
Registered Member

i put the S&S air kit on my 06 8 ball. with a 05 hammer drag down load. i also installed the RPW thor 2-1 exhaust. these simple mods made my bike turn 12.20 et at 108 mph at out local 1/4 mile drag strip. only a V ROD can dream of those times in the HD camp. the S&S made such a huge improvement that i hit the rev limiter all the time becouse it is now pulling hard up to red line 5,800 rpm. before the S&S it would run out of beans way before red line. way happy.
notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:

I welcome all riders as comrades.
Amen, brother.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #40
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
i put the S&S air kit on my 06 8 ball. with a 05 hammer drag down load. i also installed the RPW thor 2-1 exhaust. these simple mods made my bike turn 12.20 et at 108 mph at out local 1/4 mile drag strip. only a V ROD can dream of those times in the HD camp. the S&S made such a huge improvement that i hit the rev limiter all the time becouse it is now pulling hard up to red line 5,800 rpm. before the S&S it would run out of beans way before red line. way happy.
Very wise choice on the exhaust. That's probably the best pipe for a street-ridden bike. Your heads have bigger valves than the 100" or 106" engines, so you will make great horsepower.

You showcase the potential in the Vic motor. With what would be considered a 'stage 1' on a Harley, and without even taking a valve cover off that engine, you can run 12.20s on a cruiser. That puts you between 90-95 HP. Amazing, right?

There is a better airbox... but you'll need a Power Commander to tune it. I went from an S&S to this one and at 3400 RPM it gained 11 HP and 17 ft/lbs when my engine was 104 Inches.
Torque Tube Intake

11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

Last edited by Larry : 05-07-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote