Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #21
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, we weren't impressed by the Swoops. We have since tried Victory's 2-into-1 collector system you'll read about in the next installment. I sure would like to try a mega motor like yours, but our build will unfortunately stop short of it.
The 2-1 pipe is made by Cobra. It's a decent performer, sounds nice, and won't deafen you.

You'd be shocked at how docile and normal these bikes are even when making big power. If you jumped on the bike and rode it to Walmart & back in traffic you'd never know the power was there. The problem is when you get off it and ride something else... Everything else feels like it has no balls.

11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

Last edited by Larry : 04-28-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
You should keep an open mind, it doesn't hurt a bit.
The comments were somewhat tongue in cheek. Somewhat. Hell, I rode a Harley for 15 years. But, I think if you look at cruisers with a completely objective viewpoint, they don't hold up too well. Does a 21" front wheel contribute to anything but appearance? Would anyone buy a narrow-angle, pushrod V if it didn't fit a certain look? Can anyone make the case that having your feet out in front of you is a better way to control a bike?

I think not.

I'm glad cruisers are popular, because I think the more people that ride, the better it is for me. But I also think that people who start with a cruiser and truly get into motorcycling for more than a social scene, lifestyle, ego trip, whatever, wind up on something else.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I also think that people who start with a cruiser and truly get into motorcycling for more than a social scene, lifestyle, ego trip, whatever, wind up on something else.
100% correct, my next bike won't likely have any chrome, and will be more along the lines of a Concoruse then what I have now.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
The comments were somewhat tongue in cheek. Somewhat. Hell, I rode a Harley for 15 years. But, I think if you look at cruisers with a completely objective viewpoint, they don't hold up too well. Does a 21" front wheel contribute to anything but appearance? Would anyone buy a narrow-angle, pushrod V if it didn't fit a certain look? Can anyone make the case that having your feet out in front of you is a better way to control a bike?
It would appear that to you the word "cruiser" and "Harley" are interchangable. Not all cruisers are slow. Not all have pushrod actuated valves and make 65 HP on their best day. Not all have sloppy suspension designed to look like a rigid. Lots of cruisers don't have 21" wheels up front. Not every cruiser is trying to be a Harley either.

What defines a motorcycle? THE MOTOR. The appeal of a big V-Twin is TORQUE/SOUND/CHARACTER. Of course, using HD as a point of perspective kinda rules out the torque thing.

Quote:
I also think that people who start with a cruiser and truly get into motorcycling for more than a social scene, lifestyle, ego trip, whatever, wind up on something else.
OK, what category does an ex-motocrosser and roadracer who spent most of his life on what would today be called "standards" but now rides a cruiser/bagger fall into? The guy who later moved to something he could comfortably ride 500 miles a day on, carry his stuff, still have fun in the twisty stuff, drag race on... you know, the guy who doesn't care who thinks what or how cool he looks on the bike? Got a pigeon hole for that guy too?

Last edited by Larry : 04-30-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #25
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
What defines a motorcycle? THE MOTOR. The appeal of a big V-Twin is TORQUE/SOUND/CHARACTER. Of course, using HD as a point of perspective kinda rules out the torque thing.

OK, what category does an ex-motocrosser and roadracer who spent most of his life on what would today be called "standards" but now rides a cruiser/bagger fall into? The guy who later moved to something he could comfortably ride 500 miles a day on, carry his stuff, still have fun in the twisty stuff, drag race on... you know, the guy who doesn't care who thinks what or how cool he looks on the bike? Got a pigeon hole for that guy too?
You're right, for the "cruiser" rider, the motor defines the motorcycle. For a motorcyclist, the sum of the parts defines the motorcycle. Have other's improved on HD? Of course. Can a cruiser be made more useful? Yes. But so what? It doesn't change the fact that the cruiser class of bikes are inherently flawed from the start.

I'm not trying to pigeon-hole anybody Larry, I'm just pointing out that the cruiser class of motorcycles are compromised in their engineering and design in order to get a look, sound, and character. If that's what you want, fine.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that the cruiser class of motorcycles are compromised in their engineering and design in order to get a look, sound, and character. If that's what you want, fine.
Everything in life is a compromise. Trade some of this for more of that.

What are you riding? Are there no compromises? Every aspect is as good as it can be with no downside?

No, you won't be taking a cruiser to track-day because it's the wrong tool for the job, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful and practical design, or that the engineering sucks, or that the rider isn't really good at it.

I'd like to have a Diavel, a Griso 8V... Oh hell, the SV-650 would be a hoot too, but I'm trying to save money so I can retire sooner than later and it's gonna have to be one bike at a time for now.

I still am of the opinion that what defines any motorcycle is the motor. I like twins and triples myself, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Larry : 04-29-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
What are you riding? Are there no compromises? Every aspect is as good as it can be with no downside?
Actually...very close. It's clearly focused more on performance and versatility than it is on appearance and image. That's why I bought it.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Nothing is better than the sound of 400 Moslem women doing that YiYiYiYiYiYiYi thing they do as their men head off to Jihad.

Now that's a sensation!

Its.......A FACT!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I for one would enjoy taking a nice long spin on Larry's Vic. Although he had to go into the engine, it is remarkable how those straightforward mods yield that much of a power increase. The displacement is not out of bounds. It is obviously a well tuned and executed package to put out those numbers. Makes me wonder why Harley builds a 65 hp "big twin". Even the ridiculously expensive CVO bikes fall short. Let's get real here. Let's get some seriously triple digit Larry numbers goin' on.

Absolutely no doubt about it, sometime in my life, I will own a Victory bagger, and it will have big clinkin' balls like Larry's ride
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #30
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
it is remarkable how those straightforward mods yield that much of a power increase. The displacement is not out of bounds. It is obviously a well tuned and executed package to put out those numbers.
Thanx. This build is very mild (.484 lift cams). This same engine with a bit more compression, bigger valves, and hotter cams is making 165 HP/140 ft-lbs in another bike. Mine is built for low-end torque, longevity, fuel mileage... to be my daily driver.

The engineering at Victory is a far cry from what Harley Davidson calls engineering, that much is certain. It pains me to see people lump them together.

Gotta go. Taking a little 400 mile ride today. This will be the first decent trip since this motor was put together. Break-in is over and I just did the first oil change on this motor, so it's ON.

Last edited by Larry : 04-30-2011 at 03:07 AM.