Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18338-2011-ducati-monster-1100-evo-review.html)

Administrator 04-12-2011 02:07 PM

2011 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Review

Original Article:
2011 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-12-2011 03:34 PM

Gearing/First Gen ABS

The tall gearing and first gen feel of the ABS stick in my mind like a bad show tune. These issues may be transparent over time but without riding one it's hard to say.The price point is appealing however combined with that Monster look it would be hard to keep this bike off of my list of five.

cloud9 04-12-2011 03:42 PM

Seems like with every new naked and sportbike review, your top five changes :)

jmdonald 04-12-2011 03:58 PM

Guilty

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud9 (Post 258460)

I admit it. I am a sucker for these new Triumphs Ducatis and Beemers. It's quite the moving target.

Kevin_Duke 04-12-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud9 (Post 258460)

I've got the same problem! :)

Kevin_Duke 04-12-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 258459)
The tall gearing and first gen feel of the ABS stick in my mind like a bad show tune. These issues may be transparent over time but without riding one it's hard to say.The price point is appealing however combined with that Monster look it would be hard to keep this bike off of my list of five.

Tall gearing can be fixed with a $50 sprocket. I wonder if Pete got his negative ABS impressions before or after his cannoli...

Dr_Sprocket 04-13-2011 03:14 PM

Sounds like worthy upgrades. I particularly like the new exhaust, which allows a clear view of the tail section.

jmdonald 04-13-2011 04:00 PM

Stopped By

I stopped by the Ducati/Triumph dealer in Newport Beach to check out the new Monster first hand but they don't have one yet. They did have a 2011 Speed Triple on the floor and that bike even with the lights is a gem. When they get the new Monster in the demo pool I will ride both. I can't wait. Pay no attention to that MultiStrada in the back row. That's not the bike you're looking for. I wish I could believe that statement.

Kevin_Duke 04-16-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 258491)
I stopped by the Ducati/Triumph dealer in Newport Beach to check out the new Monster first hand but they don't have one yet. They did have a 2011 Speed Triple on the floor and that bike even with the lights is a gem. When they get the new Monster in the demo pool I will ride both. I can't wait. Pay no attention to that MultiStrada in the back row. That's not the bike you're looking for. I wish I could believe that statement.

I rode the Speed Triple last week, and it's a really charismatic machine that now has the handling improvements it needed. But even though it has some 30 hp more than the Monster, the Duc has strong torque and feels lighter and slimmer. Tough choice there.