Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Trizzle
Registered Member

Dang it. I never win anything...
Trizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzle View Post
Dang it. I never win anything...
Well, odds are you'll be breathing on this earth more years ahead than I will. I'd trade ya if I could!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The headlights may not be purty, but the lower clamp sure is. Mmmm. Tasty!

This is my favorite bike that I have never owned or ridden. May have to rectify that someday. Make mine with twin Arrow cans please.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Helpful
Registered Member

Since you guys are known (to me, at least) as the folks most likely to do unpredictable (in a very, very good way) comparison tests, how about a Street Triple versus Speed Triple comparison? I rode both during the 2010 Triumph Demo Days, but the course was short and the rain was steady, so I don't know. I have a 2003 SV650N and an 2008 BKing and I like the SV better overall, so I lean toward the expectation that the Street Triple would come out on top. Light makes right?

Great Speed Triple review. I'm thankful for you not over-emphasizing the headlights. In my view, headlights need only be functional. (I'm not a snappy dresser.)
Thank you.
Helpful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful View Post
Since you guys are known (to me, at least) as the folks most likely to do unpredictable (in a very, very good way) comparison tests, how about a Street Triple versus Speed Triple comparison? I rode both during the 2010 Triumph Demo Days, but the course was short and the rain was steady, so I don't know. I have a 2003 SV650N and an 2008 BKing and I like the SV better overall, so I lean toward the expectation that the Street Triple would come out on top. Light makes right?

Great Speed Triple review. I'm thankful for you not over-emphasizing the headlights. In my view, headlights need only be functional. (I'm not a snappy dresser.)
Thank you.
A Speed vs Street comparo would be fun to do. It's hard for me to imagine the Speed could be much more fun than a Street Triple R, our 2009 Bike of the Year: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ear-88656.html

But such a shootout would have to wait a bit. Coming up is the 675R review, a 2012 Gold Wing, Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, a Suzuki GSX1250FA, Honda CB1000R and a supersport shootout. Also a couple of Harleys and a Victory, and a Fury vs Stryker shootout. Stay tuned.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful View Post
Thank you.
Good point; every other review I read on the new bike went on and on about the damn headlights.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Good point; every other review I read on the new bike went on and on about the damn headlights.
They are ugly, though.

Apparently the round shape does not work well with the new high-falutin' lamps.

And folks have been *****ing for years about the crappy headlights on the Triumphs.

So, another case of 'Damned if you do;..."

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
Jayl
Founding Member

A couple of dealers in the UK are already offering conversions to the round headlights at a cost of around 200GBP. After a while and seeing the bike for real the new design grows on you but does look far better with the fly screen.
Jayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

A friend ("in the know") reminded me yesterday that everyone thought the round headlamps were butt-ugly when the 'Triple first came out...

He says the new bike is a lot 'perkier' than the old one. That's a terrifying thought.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
12er
Founding Member

They were butt-ugly, but in the best possible way.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote