Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18294-2011-triumph-speed-triple-1050-review.html)

Trizzle 04-06-2011 07:02 PM

Dang it. I never win anything...:D

Kevin_Duke 04-06-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trizzle (Post 258282)
Dang it. I never win anything...:D

Well, odds are you'll be breathing on this earth more years ahead than I will. I'd trade ya if I could!

Duken4evr 04-06-2011 07:47 PM

The headlights may not be purty, but the lower clamp sure is. Mmmm. Tasty!

This is my favorite bike that I have never owned or ridden. May have to rectify that someday. Make mine with twin Arrow cans please.

Helpful 04-06-2011 07:57 PM

Since you guys are known (to me, at least) as the folks most likely to do unpredictable (in a very, very good way) comparison tests, how about a Street Triple versus Speed Triple comparison? I rode both during the 2010 Triumph Demo Days, but the course was short and the rain was steady, so I don't know. I have a 2003 SV650N and an 2008 BKing and I like the SV better overall, so I lean toward the expectation that the Street Triple would come out on top. Light makes right?

Great Speed Triple review. I'm thankful for you not over-emphasizing the headlights. In my view, headlights need only be functional. (I'm not a snappy dresser.)
Thank you.

Kevin_Duke 04-07-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helpful (Post 258286)
Since you guys are known (to me, at least) as the folks most likely to do unpredictable (in a very, very good way) comparison tests, how about a Street Triple versus Speed Triple comparison? I rode both during the 2010 Triumph Demo Days, but the course was short and the rain was steady, so I don't know. I have a 2003 SV650N and an 2008 BKing and I like the SV better overall, so I lean toward the expectation that the Street Triple would come out on top. Light makes right?

Great Speed Triple review. I'm thankful for you not over-emphasizing the headlights. In my view, headlights need only be functional. (I'm not a snappy dresser.)
Thank you.

A Speed vs Street comparo would be fun to do. It's hard for me to imagine the Speed could be much more fun than a Street Triple R, our 2009 Bike of the Year: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ear-88656.html

But such a shootout would have to wait a bit. Coming up is the 675R review, a 2012 Gold Wing, Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, a Suzuki GSX1250FA, Honda CB1000R and a supersport shootout. Also a couple of Harleys and a Victory, and a Fury vs Stryker shootout. Stay tuned.

Morbo the Destroyer 04-07-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helpful (Post 258286)
Thank you.

Good point; every other review I read on the new bike went on and on about the damn headlights.

pushrod 04-07-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 258291)
Good point; every other review I read on the new bike went on and on about the damn headlights.

They are ugly, though.

Apparently the round shape does not work well with the new high-falutin' lamps.

And folks have been *****ing for years about the crappy headlights on the Triumphs.

So, another case of 'Damned if you do;..."

Jayl 04-08-2011 04:36 AM

A couple of dealers in the UK are already offering conversions to the round headlights at a cost of around 200GBP. After a while and seeing the bike for real the new design grows on you but does look far better with the fly screen.

pushrod 04-08-2011 07:22 AM

A friend ("in the know") reminded me yesterday that everyone thought the round headlamps were butt-ugly when the 'Triple first came out...

He says the new bike is a lot 'perkier' than the old one. That's a terrifying thought.

12er 04-08-2011 10:11 AM

They were butt-ugly, but in the best possible way.