Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Pedro Machado
Registered Member

A few years ago, I was in the business of selling used cars and bikes. If I learned anything during those years is that, after a careful analysis of pros and cons, deep consideration of all financial related matters (cost, maintenance, etc.) and research on reliability factors, the only criteria that counts is... "What bike do you really want?". When thinking about riding 40 minutes on the road, which bike comes to mind? The KLR? The SV650?

In my days as a dealer, my happiest clients were the ones that bought "what they wanted" instead of "what they should buy".

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondual View Post
Which standard would you suggest?
The VStrom 650! It'll do all your road work, and still be good for the occasional trail riding (once you add a bash plate). And, there's an excellent website for support at Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - Powered by vBulletin.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 03-30-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
I have to admit - having had the SV650, the strom is really tempting. But I was going to cheap it out on the KLR and maybe ride some trails in my free time since I'd now be able to do so.

Could I HAVE someone do the mods you're talking about? The only thing I really want to mod off the bat is the power system so that it can support heated clothing - I've been told that a heat controller and LED replacement lights would do the job.
Thats what I recommend but I'm huge, 6'6" 310, your mileage may very. I loved my KLR and have missed it ever since. You can pay anyone to mod your bike, but what I outlined is very very simple to do with not much more than the stock tool kit, a drill and a hacksaw.

Forks, carefully drain the oil from the bottom bleeder screws, unscrew the top fork caps, pull out spring and spacer, cut spacer to length and replace new fork springs, pour in the right amount of fork oil and screw the caps back on.

Jet kit - loosen intake and air filter clamps (two screws) and pull the carb out of the boots, twist off the slide cap and leave the throttle cable and slide dangling, Remove the jet (instructions provided) and replace with new jet. Drill out plug over fuel screw and adjust per instructions. Reassemble. Throw in the K&N while your at it and you have new fork springs and a lot more power in about 1 hour.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
nondual
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Thats what I recommend but I'm huge, 6'6" 310, your mileage may very. I loved my KLR and have missed it ever since. You can pay anyone to mod your bike, but what I outlined is very very simple to do with not much more than the stock tool kit, a drill and a hacksaw.

Forks, carefully drain the oil from the bottom bleeder screws, unscrew the top fork caps, pull out spring and spacer, cut spacer to length and replace new fork springs, pour in the right amount of fork oil and screw the caps back on.

Jet kit - loosen intake and air filter clamps (two screws) and pull the carb out of the boots, twist off the slide cap and leave the throttle cable and slide dangling, Remove the jet (instructions provided) and replace with new jet. Drill out plug over fuel screw and adjust per instructions. Reassemble. Throw in the K&N while your at it and you have new fork springs and a lot more power in about 1 hour.
Nothing you said sounded like English to me. I'd need video instructions or VERY good illustrated ones to have any hope of comprehending.
nondual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #15
nondual
Founding Member

My dream bike is the current Z1000 - but it's too limited for year-rounding and it looks like turning it into a bagger would be an uphill climb.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 AM   #16
pplassm
Founding Member

Lot's of folks own KLRs around here in Central VA, and are very happy with their all-around capabilities. In your part of VA, there are lots of dirt roads and trails, and I would habve a hard time getting something that couldn't handle them. The Wee-Strom is a capable bike, but it's an order of magnitude more expensive, and not nearly as capable off-road.

If you have a friend with welding skills, it's not hard to come up with a cheap carrying rack or mounts for ammo cases, or whatever. It's hard to ruin to looks of a KLR.

Check out the KLR forums. Just google away, there's at least 2 that I know of. Also a lot of KLR riders on Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum. Just ignore the derision of the elitist Beemer guys.

Personally, knowing some of the area, I'd say a KLR is perfect for you. Just make sure you replace the doohickey!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
nondual
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Lot's of folks own KLRs around here in Central VA, and are very happy with their all-around capabilities. In your part of VA, there are lots of dirt roads and trails, and I would habve a hard time getting something that couldn't handle them. The Wee-Strom is a capable bike, but it's an order of magnitude more expensive, and not nearly as capable off-road.

If you have a friend with welding skills, it's not hard to come up with a cheap carrying rack or mounts for ammo cases, or whatever. It's hard to ruin to looks of a KLR.

Check out the KLR forums. Just google away, there's at least 2 that I know of. Also a lot of KLR riders on Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum. Just ignore the derision of the elitist Beemer guys.

Personally, knowing some of the area, I'd say a KLR is perfect for you. Just make sure you replace the doohickey!
What's the doohicky? And with what do I replace it?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
nondual
Founding Member

I found someone selling a used KLR for $3900 (2009, 8500 miles with taller gearing) - I'll be looking at it soon. First change will be to purchase an Eagle Manufacturing doohickey and spring and get the local dealer to install it - and change the oil to synthetic.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
I found someone selling a used KLR for $3900 (2009, 8500 miles with taller gearing) - I'll be looking at it soon. First change will be to purchase an Eagle Manufacturing doohickey and spring and get the local dealer to install it - and change the oil to synthetic.
Cycle World (or is it Motorcyclist...so hard to tell them apart) has a write up on upgrading a KLR this month. They upgraded the suspension, exhaust, handlebars, etc. Bike Bandit apparently sponsored the "article," which is really more of a 3-page advertisement than anything else. But, you might get some tips nonetheless.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote