Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Zero Electric Motorcycles Launch (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17884-2011-zero-electric-motorcycles-launch.html)

Administrator 03-21-2011 03:11 PM

2011 Zero Electric Motorcycles Launch

Original Article:
2011 Zero Electric Motorcycles Launch

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Zero Electric Motorcycles Launch in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 03-22-2011 03:31 AM

Why?????

So the price of admission to the ebike world is........ basically your paying the total cost of ownership of a gas bike up front. Still have to buy tires, chains/belts....

Being able to remove the battery to take it in to work with you to recharge is one of the first things that I've seen that actually makes sense. Solves the problem of not having a charging station at work.

So basically we have golf cart speeds with golf cart range.....an no place to carry your clubs...

Remaining on the sidelines waiting for highway speeds with highway range..........

Morbo the Destroyer 03-22-2011 05:24 AM

Great article Jeff. Very thorough.

While the Brammo Empulse is infinitely better looking than the Zero bikes, you still can't buy one. Zero is building bikes, improving their products, and moving the industry forward. This is exactly the kind of incremental change that will lead to a fully capable machine in the years ahead. And it appears that somebody with a lot of money appears to agree; $28M in VC isn't chump change.

Buzzy's anti-E Bike post in 3...2...1...

Buzglyd 03-22-2011 06:09 AM

No anti anything Kenneth. If it's private capital and unsubsidized consumers want to buy, then have at it!

Just don't expect me to bail it out because it's "green."

Morbo the Destroyer 03-22-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257322)
No anti anything Kenneth. If it's private capital and unsubsidized consumers want to buy, then have at it!

Just don't expect me to bail it out because it's "green."

But you're ok with bailing out multi-millionaires who gambled with their customer's money, lost big, and then came for a handout from the taxpayer? The same people who think a 2% tax increase is an outrage, but that teachers making a whopping $50k a year (with benefits...wooo) are "fatcats" rolling in the dough? The same jokers who even now are writing themselves millions of dollars in bonus checks, all made possible by me and other working saps?

Don't even start on "bailouts" with me. My bung-hole is still bleeding from the last round. I'd rather subsidize and bail out a thousand Zero-type companies before I bought another Bentley for some Wall-Street vampire. At least these startup companies actually build something.

Buzglyd 03-22-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257325)
But you're ok with bailing out multi-millionaires who gambled with their customer's money, lost big, and then came for a handout from the taxpayer? The same people who think a 2% tax increase is an outrage, but that teachers making a whopping $50k a year (with benefits...wooo) are "fatcats" rolling in the dough? The same jokers who even now are writing themselves millions of dollars in bonus checks, all made possible by me and other working saps?

Don't even start on "bailouts" with me. My bung-hole is still bleeding from the last round. I'd rather subsidize and bail out a thousand Zero-type companies before I bought another Bentley for some Wall-Street vampire. At least these startup companies actually build something.

When did I ever say I was for that?

That was your deal.

Jeff Cobb 03-22-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257319)
Great article Jeff. Very thorough.

While the Brammo Empulse is infinitely better looking than the Zero bikes, you still can't buy one. Zero is building bikes, improving their products, and moving the industry forward. This is exactly the kind of incremental change that will lead to a fully capable machine in the years ahead. And it appears that somebody with a lot of money appears to agree; $28M in VC isn't chump change.

Buzzy's anti-E Bike post in 3...2...1...

Thanks Morbo.

I interviewed almost everyone, got a way better feel for who Zero is, and saw where they do it in Scotts Valley.

The Zero S looks kind of cool. It could have its uses. If anyone thinks Zero is asking too much money, you are right. But then so does Ducati for its exotic special models compared to a GSXR-1000 etc. which would suffice if your intention is speed, right? People buy Ducatis for other reasons. Let's see if people buy Zeros for "other" reasons too.

I wonder what the Zero S would be like converted with, like, a hot 400 cc Japanese engine? As an e-motorcycle, it is decent. So is the DS. They just need more range for my needs.

I asked Derek how much extra weight an extra kW of juice would add, and he said 25-30 lbs. That would bring it from 4.4 kW to 5.4 kW, and better. Of course no one plans to do this.

Buzglyd 03-22-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb (Post 257328)
Thanks Morbo.

I interviewed almost everyone, got a way better feel for who Zero is, and saw where they do it in Scotts Valley.

The Zero S looks kind of cool. It could have its uses. If anyone thinks Zero is asking too much money, you are right. But then so does Ducati for its exotic special models compared to a GSXR-1000 etc. which would suffice if your intention is speed, right? People buy Ducatis for other reasons. Let's see if people buy Zeros for "other" reasons too.

I wonder what the Zero S would be like converted with, like, a hot 400 cc Japanese engine? As an e-motorcycle, it is decent. So is the DS. They just need more range for my needs.

I asked Derek how much extra weight an extra kW of juice would add, and he said 25-30 lbs. That would bring it from 4.4 kW to 5.4 kW, and better. Of course no one plans to do this.

If Morbo and Ed Begley, Jr. won't buy one, then who will?

Jeff Cobb 03-22-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257329)

Good question. That is why I am careful to couch my answers with we shall see. I think some people will. Just waiting to see how many. Random reasons why: They are green. They are American manufactured. If you are what you ride, what does a Zero say about you? After all, some people buy a Prius just to be seen in a Prius. The drive belt ought to last a long time, doesn't need tightening; the bikes only need occasional tires, grips. No motor maintenance that I know of. So, cheap to run. Pay up front, and say boo to the Middle East, Libya, Nicaragua, etc.

Morbo the Destroyer 03-22-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257329)

Somewhat to Jeff's point: I'd buy one...if. Really the bar for me is right where Brammo's Empulse is supposed to be. Roughly 100 miles of range, power to get the bike to 100 mph, and something that looks like a modern motorcycle and not an oversized mountain bike (Zero is improving their esthetics). I was seriously ready to buy the Empulse, but I've lost faith in the company because they grossly overstated their position with the product.