Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
Noel Park
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Great article! I have a Buell which I really enjoy, so the Buell connection is very encouraging. The "super motard" look is obviously very hot right now, so the look of the bikes will clearly find an audience.

I agree with Jeff that price is often not the main reason for buying a bike. or a car come to that. The Ducati comparison is apt IMHO. As gas continues to get more expensive, and the political consequences of oil addiction get more obvious, I am pretty confident that there will be enough of a niche of people want int to make a statement to make this a viable business.

Of course I just bought a Volt, so I guess that tells you something about me, LOL.
Noel Park is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Park View Post
Of course I just bought a Volt, so I guess that tells you something about me, LOL.
That's really interesting! How do you like it so far, is it what you expected? I test-drove one at a GM marketing event and think the technology is really cool.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
That's really interesting! How do you like it so far, is it what you expected? I test-drove one at a GM marketing event and think the technology is really cool.
Kenneth, if you buy as much as an electric weed wacker, I will fly to FL and buy you the biggest sandwich on Earth!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
Good question. That is why I am careful to couch my answers with we shall see. I think some people will. Just waiting to see how many. Random reasons why: They are green. They are American manufactured. If you are what you ride, what does a Zero say about you? After all, some people buy a Prius just to be seen in a Prius. The drive belt ought to last a long time, doesn't need tightening; the bikes only need occasional tires, grips. No motor maintenance that I know of. So, cheap to run. Pay up front, and say boo to the Middle East, Libya, Nicaragua, etc.
Then we can start going to war with places that mine lithium and cobalt.

Fun places like the Congo!

I'm not downing these guys but how is this better for the environment than a dual sport Honda XL250?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Then we can start going to war with places that mine lithium and cobalt.

Fun places like the Congo!

I'm not downing these guys but how is this better for the environment than a dual sport Honda XL250?
Well if your predictions come true that new wars start, I guess EVs aren't much better.

Maybe worse! China holds a lot of the rare earths needed, so who knows how it will play out.

Here's the deal: I am not taking sides, just trying to understand all sides, and give everyone a fair shake. There are people in this for a living, and even they don't know it all. No one knows "the future."

The issue is IF one believed in oil prices and availability for oil getting worse, THEN, something has to be done about it. EVs are the best hope to bail out the Titanic we have, say the people who started it all.

No, they are not ready for prime time. Yes, they produce less tailpipe emissions. MCs beat gas bikes by 90% reduced emissions.

The juice even from the dirtiest coal-fired plants is not as dirty as the petrol burned.

Personally, I am not looking to buy an electric bike either, but if I had extra cash, and a short commute, I might. I talked to some experienced motojournos and asked their candid opinion. If the conditions were right, some agreed they would buy a Zero.

It is a crap shoot, I'll grant you. To give fuel to EV opponents, no one knows what the used e-bike market will look like in 5 years either.

But if you can blow $15k just on an upgrade to a BMW auto (or what ever), what the heck, throw some money at the EV market, and take your chances.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Kenneth, if you buy as much as an electric weed wacker, I will fly to FL and buy you the biggest sandwich on Earth!
The biggest sandwich on Earth, eh? We'll see about that when I get my electric Barbie Jeep next Christmas!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
The biggest sandwich on Earth, eh? We'll see about that when I get my electric Barbie Jeep next Christmas!
I call Shotgun!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Would you still buy it if in order to get that 100 mile range you had to keep speeds at 20mph and under?
I would like to see some sort of range standard so you could compare apples to apples.
No if Brammo where at 100 miles at 100 mph or 70 miles at 70 mph I would probably be in for one.
As of now all the Evehicle peeps quote max range on ideal conditions including ambient temp and surface conditions with unrealistic speeds of 10 and 20 mph.... Even in any city 20mph will get your butt run over.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

What's with the odd wheel sizes? 16" rears? 19" fronts on the off-roaders?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
Well if your predictions come true that new wars start, I guess EVs aren't much better.

Maybe worse! China holds a lot of the rare earths needed, so who knows how it will play out.

Here's the deal: I am not taking sides, just trying to understand all sides, and give everyone a fair shake. There are people in this for a living, and even they don't know it all. No one knows "the future."

The issue is IF one believed in oil prices and availability for oil getting worse, THEN, something has to be done about it. EVs are the best hope to bail out the Titanic we have, say the people who started it all.

No, they are not ready for prime time. Yes, they produce less tailpipe emissions. MCs beat gas bikes by 90% reduced emissions.

The juice even from the dirtiest coal-fired plants is not as dirty as the petrol burned.

Personally, I am not looking to buy an electric bike either, but if I had extra cash, and a short commute, I might. I talked to some experienced motojournos and asked their candid opinion. If the conditions were right, some agreed they would buy a Zero.

It is a crap shoot, I'll grant you. To give fuel to EV opponents, no one knows what the used e-bike market will look like in 5 years either.

But if you can blow $15k just on an upgrade to a BMW auto (or what ever), what the heck, throw some money at the EV market, and take your chances.
Sorry, I just blew the dough on an upgrade to a BMW auto (335i convertible).

I'm all for options as well, but unless these things can run on unicorn tears, they are going to have some impact on the environment beyond tailpipe emissions. Batteries are nasty things.