Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout

Original Article:
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I haven't even read it, but I like what I see already. Battle of the big boyz!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
+1. Sounds like it all comes down to if you do mainly track use then the BMW is your scoot. The question is how do they perform on the street? OK fellas, show us the street test!!!

Both are winners with no real glaring flaws at least on the track! Also, that extra HP will not mean squat to the BMW rider if the KAW rider has more skill and visa versa. Just been my experience that it can, and often does, come down to the skill of the rider on board and not necessarily the spec sheet of the bike they are riding.

Last edited by GS1100GK : 03-19-2011 at 06:47 PM.
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Don't worry about reading it. Just tell all your friends it's the best thing you've ever read - and make sure you "Like" it on FB.

Oh, for those wondering where the dyno chart is, you should see it on Monday!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Okay, finally had a chance to re-read the article. (Read it last night, but I was waaay tired.) First, congrats to Kawasaki for having the gumption to revamp their bike and being the first to take a swing at BMW! However... the engineers must be pretty disappointed to know they spent all that time and $$ to revamp a bike that still comes in 2nd place. This review shows just how on-the-money BMW was with the S1000R.

If both bikes are just that close in comparison, it's a no-brainer. This BMW is an iconic bike, a game changer. Twenty years from now, people will still be saying, "Remember that old BMW? Man, that thing was a screamer!" For my mythical hard-earned cash, I would chose the BMW.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Okay, finally had a chance to re-read the article. (Read it last night, but I was waaay tired.) First, congrats to Kawasaki for having the gumption to revamp their bike and being the first to take a swing at BMW! However... the engineers must be pretty disappointed to know they spent all that time and $$ to revamp a bike that still comes in 2nd place. This review shows just how on-the-money BMW was with the S1000R.
Reminds me of Yamaha's Super Tenere. Both Yamaha and Kawi had clear targets set before them, and yet their products only match (not clearly exceed) those targets.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

BMW's, oh please. Those interleavened road wheels get mud stuck in 'em, and you're eary prey for a Sherman. What a minute, isn't this tankbattles.com? Oh, sorry....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Wow, this was a nice treat for a Sunday morning. The article may be the most comprehensive to date; certainly it's close.

I guess the question in my mind is: what do the engineers at BMW have or know that the engineers at Kawi don't? After all, Kawi "invented" the sport bike with the Ninja. Seems to me there is a pretty substantial advantage to BMW in this segment, in spite of the outcome of the comparo.

Does Kawi have the ability to beat BMW, but they're hampered by their organizational dynamics? Or are the guys at BMW flat-out smarter and more effective engineers?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
YoKev
Registered Member

You're testing two bikes against each other ON THE TRACK, yet you don't post up your lap times..
The BIGGEST determining factor in which bike is 'better' on the track, IS THE FREAKING LAP TIMES!.
Furthermore, these bikes are expert-class bikes, made for riders with higher than average levels of skill. What that means is the 'envelope' where they're designed to work on the track, is much higher than smaller, less aggressive bikes. This translates to them working their best when ridden by someone who can take them into the aforementioned performance envelope. For anyone who's road raced, it's like the difference of how your bike handles on the warm-up lap compared to how it does at 100%. Or for anyone who's ridden on the track on cold tires waiting for them to get heat into them, remember how the bike worked when the tires were cold compared to when you got heat into them.
By not posting your lap times, you're telling your reader(s) that you aren't skilled enough to ride either of these bikes at the speeds they were designed to be ridden at, and therefore your 'review' is simply a waste of bandwidth. I thought Steve Atlas worked for the same website, but maybe I'm confusing it with another one. If he does work with you, then you should have had HIM ride the bikes. I read his '10 shoot-out, and he also included Chuck Sorenson, and some slow guys for a riding perspective from 'average track-day guy'. Bottom line is, HE POSTED UP THE LAP TIMES, and thus obviously used said data in determining which bike was best ON THE TRACK! We know this to be true because the lap times he did showed that he was riding the bike(s) at the high level pace that they were designed to be ridden at. Conversely by YOU leaving out YOUR lap times, we know that you didn't ride either bike at the level they were designed to be ridden at.
There are plenty of 'fast' club racers here in California, and if you cared even remotely about actually providing USEFUL data in your 'review', you would have contacted any of the local racing orgs or one of the race tire distributors, and get the name of a few guys that could have ridden these bikes how they were designed to be ridden, and ended up with an article that actually gave your reader(ship) ACCURATE information, and a truthful conclusion as to which bike is 'better' on the track.
Instead, you're just two guys with the credentials to get test bikes, and a webmaster that knows how to make an 'e-zine'. You load your resume up with this kind of useless drivel and you'll never get hired by a legitimate, top-tier publication.

Last edited by YoKev : 03-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.
YoKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Wow, this was a nice treat for a Sunday morning. The article may be the most comprehensive to date; certainly it's close.

I guess the question in my mind is: what do the engineers at BMW have or know that the engineers at Kawi don't? After all, Kawi "invented" the sport bike with the Ninja. Seems to me there is a pretty substantial advantage to BMW in this segment, in spite of the outcome of the comparo.

Does Kawi have the ability to beat BMW, but they're hampered by their organizational dynamics? Or are the guys at BMW flat-out smarter and more effective engineers?
You know what they say about German engineering... The more I read, the more I'd like to own this BMW. This bike is iconic.

Ken (or Mokester), do you know if MotoGP has a constructor's championship of manufacturer's championship trophy? It'd be interesting to see how the bikes fared on the track as a whole, taking into account all finishes on all the courses. The best bike doesn't always win the race, nor does the best rider.