Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default The Best Literbike for the Street

Original Article:
The Best Literbike for the Street

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The Best Literbike for the Street in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Is a 1000cc machine! Do I get a prize?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
sliphorn
Registered Member

Talking

They're all too damn heavy for you, mscuddy.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
sherm
Founding Member

I had a 2004, Helibar equipped (otherwise stock), ZX10R that I used on many touring trips, and was quite satisfied.

The power, handling, and brakes more than made up for the lack of some creature comforts. As a matter of fact I did my personal best mileage day on that bike, 950 miles. Once had a Goldwing and did some 900 mile days - pure agony for my lower back. If the two were sitting side by side I'd grab the ZX10R in a heartbeat. But that's me and my physiology, other bodies may differ.

Sold it because, after a few introductions to the pavement, I decided that it was time for ABS - SV650SA.
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
tapieromateo
Registered Member

there is a small mistake on the writing, as it implies that traction control on a new zx is optional. ABS are optional, S-KTRC is standard.

But on the topic, i'd rather custom fit a bike that i like. make it lighter, with better handling and bear in mind the purpose that each bike is supposed to have.
tapieromateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapieromateo View Post
there is a small mistake on the writing, as it implies that traction control on a new zx is optional. ABS are optional, S-KTRC is standard.

But on the topic, i'd rather custom fit a bike that i like. make it lighter, with better handling and bear in mind the purpose that each bike is supposed to have.
My first reaction was to whine about how picky you are. My second thought, after appreciating how carefully some of our readers are, was that I could make it clearer.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Nice overview of the differences between and OEM supersport tourer and a custom SST. Modding a bike rarely results in reccouped $$ at resale. If one is to mod a SS to make it an SST, they'd best keep the bike for a number of years to actualize the depreciation. Otherwise, it's just $$ down the drain.

For my $$, I'd rather have the Z1000 with a really nice set of soft bags that can easily be removed for the occasional track day or backroads strafing. Funtionally, the Ninja 1000 hits the mark. Stylistically, it's a swing-and-a-miss.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Stylistically, it's a swing-and-a-miss.
I disagree. The worst part of it is its exhaust, and that can be replaced pretty easily. Otherwise, I think it's quite handsome.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Maybe replace the Ninja's pipes with trombones & electric slide gizmos that can play stuff like the "Lalawana Lullabye" or "Swanee River"...might be a big hit with the over 70 crowd. Get 'em back on a bike!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Maybe replace the Ninja's pipes with trombones & electric slide gizmos that can play stuff like the "Lalawana Lullabye" or "Swanee River"...might be a big hit with the over 70 crowd. Get 'em back on a bike!
The Lawrence Welk Edition! A-one an' A-two-a!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote