Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   The Best Literbike for the Street (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17851-best-literbike-for-street.html)

Administrator 03-17-2011 03:07 PM

The Best Literbike for the Street

Original Article:
The Best Literbike for the Street

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The Best Literbike for the Street in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 03-17-2011 03:10 PM

Is a 1000cc machine! Do I get a prize?

sliphorn 03-17-2011 03:59 PM

They're all too damn heavy for you, mscuddy.

sherm 03-17-2011 04:58 PM

I had a 2004, Helibar equipped (otherwise stock), ZX10R that I used on many touring trips, and was quite satisfied.

The power, handling, and brakes more than made up for the lack of some creature comforts. As a matter of fact I did my personal best mileage day on that bike, 950 miles. Once had a Goldwing and did some 900 mile days - pure agony for my lower back. If the two were sitting side by side I'd grab the ZX10R in a heartbeat. But that's me and my physiology, other bodies may differ.

Sold it because, after a few introductions to the pavement, I decided that it was time for ABS - SV650SA.

tapieromateo 03-17-2011 05:52 PM

there is a small mistake on the writing, as it implies that traction control on a new zx is optional. ABS are optional, S-KTRC is standard.

But on the topic, i'd rather custom fit a bike that i like. make it lighter, with better handling and bear in mind the purpose that each bike is supposed to have.

Kevin_Duke 03-17-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapieromateo (Post 257144)
there is a small mistake on the writing, as it implies that traction control on a new zx is optional. ABS are optional, S-KTRC is standard.

But on the topic, i'd rather custom fit a bike that i like. make it lighter, with better handling and bear in mind the purpose that each bike is supposed to have.

My first reaction was to whine about how picky you are. My second thought, after appreciating how carefully some of our readers are, was that I could make it clearer. :)

Dr_Sprocket 03-17-2011 07:30 PM

Nice overview of the differences between and OEM supersport tourer and a custom SST. Modding a bike rarely results in reccouped $$ at resale. If one is to mod a SS to make it an SST, they'd best keep the bike for a number of years to actualize the depreciation. Otherwise, it's just $$ down the drain.

For my $$, I'd rather have the Z1000 with a really nice set of soft bags that can easily be removed for the occasional track day or backroads strafing. Funtionally, the Ninja 1000 hits the mark. Stylistically, it's a swing-and-a-miss.

Kevin_Duke 03-17-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 257150)
Stylistically, it's a swing-and-a-miss.

I disagree. The worst part of it is its exhaust, and that can be replaced pretty easily. Otherwise, I think it's quite handsome.

mscuddy 03-17-2011 08:08 PM

Maybe replace the Ninja's pipes with trombones & electric slide gizmos that can play stuff like the "Lalawana Lullabye" or "Swanee River"...might be a big hit with the over 70 crowd. Get 'em back on a bike!

The_AirHawk 03-17-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 257152)
Maybe replace the Ninja's pipes with trombones & electric slide gizmos that can play stuff like the "Lalawana Lullabye" or "Swanee River"...might be a big hit with the over 70 crowd. Get 'em back on a bike!

The Lawrence Welk Edition! A-one an' A-two-a!