Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
pdad13
Founding Member
 
pdad13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,754
Default

I've been here in spirit all along.

My body and mind have been trapped in winter's icy hell and indentured servitude.

But the temperature has ticked up a few degrees, the snow is gone, my buddy just bought a GT 1000, and I'm thinking about adding another bike.

Things are looking up.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

Buell ugly? My City-X was one of the trickest looking bikes ever built, a true store-window gawker if there ever was one. I rode the wheels off mine, just because it was so...neat...never mind the ruined engine an 5000 miles, or the oil leaks, or the fouled plugs...hey, wait a minute....
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
I've been here in spirit all along.

My body and mind have been trapped in winter's icy hell and indentured servitude.

But the temperature has ticked up a few degrees, the snow is gone, my buddy just bought a GT 1000, and I'm thinking about adding another bike.

Things are looking up.
Hope the GT dosnt suffer from the fuel tank problem like mine. I'm on my fourth tank!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member
 
pdad13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,754
Default

F*ck, fourth tank? I hope not, too. I'll give him the heads up if he's not already aware. I know they had a fuel line problem. Is the tank thing related? His is a 2010, if that makes any difference. Did you have any regulator/rectifier problems? I thought I read that the Sport Classics had that issue, too.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
pdad13
Founding Member
 
pdad13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,754
Default

Well, I was referring to the 1125. Of course your bike was a stunner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Buell ugly? My City-X was one of the trickest looking bikes ever built, a true store-window gawker if there ever was one. I rode the wheels off mine, just because it was so...neat...never mind the ruined engine an 5000 miles, or the oil leaks, or the fouled plugs...hey, wait a minute....
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
F*ck, fourth tank? I hope not, too. I'll give him the heads up if he's not already aware. I know they had a fuel line problem. Is the tank thing related? His is a 2010, if that makes any difference. Did you have any regulator/rectifier problems? I thought I read that the Sport Classics had that issue, too.
Actually there is a class action lawsuit going on about the fuel tanks on all Ducatis that used that same plastic sport classics, multis, and GTs and others. However the motorcycle media have ignored the class action suit thus far.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Actually there is a class action lawsuit going on about the fuel tanks on all Ducatis that used that same plastic sport classics, multis, and GTs and others. However the motorcycle media have ignored the class action suit thus far.
I've spoken to the law firm regarding the class action suit.

Basically, my fuel tank has the "spreading" problem. The tank reacts to the fuel and gets wider at the front and pops out of the mounting brackets. At that point it's only held on by the hinge at the back.

Ducati has faithfully replaced it three times now. I haven't had any other problems but I've only got about 4000 miles on it due to it being down quite a bit waiting for tanks from Italy (not to mention I own multiple motorcycles and seem to ride the comfy Beemer more on long trips).
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Actually there is a class action lawsuit going on about the fuel tanks on all Ducatis that used that same plastic sport classics, multis, and GTs and others. However the motorcycle media have ignored the class action suit thus far.
The problem is that the Italians drink their ethanol; they never thought anyone would waste it by putting it in a gas tank.

So, the lesson here is to avoid putting E10 in your bike.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I've spoken to the law firm regarding the class action suit.

Basically, my fuel tank has the "spreading" problem. The tank reacts to the fuel and gets wider at the front and pops out of the mounting brackets. At that point it's only held on by the hinge at the back.

Ducati has faithfully replaced it three times now. I haven't had any other problems but I've only got about 4000 miles on it due to it being down quite a bit waiting for tanks from Italy (not to mention I own multiple motorcycles and seem to ride the comfy Beemer more on long trips).
Remember when I was looking for a new bike, and you recommended the GT? I really liked the GT, but I wound up buying the Vee because the stupid Duc sales rep wouldn't call me back.

I turned over 30,000 miles on the Vee last week on my trip. So far NOTHING has failed or broken, just wear and tear items, and two major tune-ups. It has a minor oil leak, but the shop found the source when it was in for the last tune up. I'm taking it in for 2 new seals ($230 parts and labor) as soon as the weather turns rainy and hot again.
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Remember when I was looking for a new bike, and you recommended the GT? I really liked the GT, but I wound up buying the Vee because the stupid Duc sales rep wouldn't call me back.

I turned over 30,000 miles on the Vee last week on my trip. So far NOTHING has failed or broken, just wear and tear items, and two major tune-ups. It has a minor oil leak, but the shop found the source when it was in for the last tune up. I'm taking it in for 2 new seals ($230 parts and labor) as soon as the weather turns rainy and hot again.
My previous Ducati I put 35,000 on with just a couple of minor issues fixed under warranty.

It seems this tank problem is related to ethanol in our fuel because this problem is not present in Europe where they don't have ethanol.

Looks like I got screwed by the "greens."

Mine is still prettier.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off