Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17727-2011-suzuki-gsx-r600-review.html)

Administrator 03-03-2011 02:48 PM

2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 Review
 

Original Article:
2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 03-03-2011 05:04 PM

Great test, it's amazing how much power and top speed they can get out of a lowly six hundred cc motorcycle now days. Amazing technology. I truly believe we are living in the heady days of technology driven performance, with some of the best motorcycle EVER produced. Just wait until the direct injected two stroke makes its long planned manufacture, then the gates of hell will be ripped right off thier hinges.

Duken4evr 03-03-2011 05:35 PM

Direct injection is cool - it is more efficient with fuel, allows higher compression and more torque as a result. I wonder if it could keep up with a 600 spinning at 15,000 rpm though. Who knows.

The 750 has always been the "Goldilocks GSXR" in my opinion. More grunt than the 600, better handling (mainly through less spinning mass vs. less weight) than the 1000. Looking forward to that writeup.

What a cool track day toy these new 600s are. Not so sure about using them on the street though. Ridden with 600s on the street - it is fun sport on a 1000 to simply roll it on in a tall gear and run through the power range while never shifting while the poor guy on the 600 tap dances on the lever...

Kevin_Duke 03-03-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 256480)
Direct injection is cool - it is more efficient with fuel, allows higher compression and more torque as a result. I wonder if it could keep up with a 600 spinning at 15,000 rpm though. Who knows.

You do now. The answer is no. I asked this same question to BMW's powertrain engineer leader last week. He says GDI not likely for motorcycles, as it doesn’t yet work above 10K rpm. He believes the next motorcycle engine development will be variable valve tech.

Morbo the Destroyer 03-04-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 256485)
He believes the next motorcycle engine development will be variable valve tech.

Isn't Honda's VTEC just that?

Nice writeup. I can't imagine this bike anywhere but the track. Not that it wouldn't be fun to pull 15,000 RPM wheelies over that little bridge leading into my development, but the neighbors have no appreciation for the finer things.

Duken4evr 03-04-2011 06:31 AM

Thanks Kevin, very interesting. DI is all the rage on cars now and very effective there. Perhaps we will see it appear on cruisers, with their lower rev ceilings.

Never forget my day with Jason Pridmore CLASS school. He did amazing things on that GSXR750, like backing it in at horrifying speeds, and passing A Group riders with me on the back, about peeing in my leathers. I have no illusions - these things are so much better than I am!

Kevin_Duke 03-04-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 256506)
Thanks Kevin, very interesting. DI is all the rage on cars now and very effective there. Perhaps we will see it appear on cruisers, with their lower rev ceilings.

Never forget my day with Jason Pridmore CLASS school. He did amazing things on that GSXR750, like backing it in at horrifying speeds, and passing A Group riders with me on the back, about peeing in my leathers. I have no illusions - these things are so much better than I am!

Yep, DI could make sense on cruiser motors. I'll bet H-D is working on it. And, BTW, BMW hasn't forgotten about the huge cruiser market...

I've also had the eye-opening pleasure of riding on back of the Pridmores - not to be believed until experienced and HIGHLY recommended. Jason was passing number-plated race bikes with me on the back of his Katana!

Morbo the Destroyer 03-04-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 256539)
Yep, DI could make sense on cruiser motors. I'll bet H-D is working on it. And, BTW, BMW hasn't forgotten about the huge cruiser market...

That goofy V-4 MOTUS bike Pushrod posted today is DI.

12er 03-04-2011 11:52 AM

My 06 speed6 is DI and shouldnt of been. Flattest top end of any turbo Ive driven.

mscuddy 03-04-2011 04:08 PM

Direct Injection works best in two-cycle motors, because you have no valve train, or other reciprocating parts like valve springs, valves, camshafts, rocker arms, etc. All you have is a piston, and exhaust port, and a powerful intake injector. An Orbital DI motor that Ford put in a Escort Rally car back in the middle 80's put out 300 hp, and weighed 100 lbs. The FIM banned it the next season, and GM bought the patent from Ford, only to be shelved for 20 years.

How would you like a car that got 1/2 the emssions of a fuel injected four cycle, twice the power at half the weight? And never needed a cam belt changed, a valve job, or other nonsense that four strokes live with.

KTM abd a company in China are perfecting it for street use, should be out on the market by 2012 or so.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.