Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #31
AlexKovnat
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Bloomfield Township, Michigan
Posts: 8
Default

Hey, I like that expression "six appeal".

If that BMW engine's 1600 cc's were to be manifested as four cylinders with 400 cc each instead of 6 cylinders with ~267 cc's each, would it make much difference in terms of vibration? Did BMW go to an in-line 6 to avoid the use of balance shafts?
AlexKovnat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKovnat View Post
Hey, I like that expression "six appeal".

If that BMW engine's 1600 cc's were to be manifested as four cylinders with 400 cc each instead of 6 cylinders with ~267 cc's each, would it make much difference in terms of vibration? Did BMW go to an in-line 6 to avoid the use of balance shafts?
They didn't go to a six to save on balance shafts. A 4 is probably way cheaper to produce.

They went to a six because it's unique in the market. BMW riders will pay a premium price for a unique product that's not run-of-the-mill me too stuff.

BMW's car heritage is the inline 6 and it makes sense to tie that into the motorcycle line.

It's always a bike like this that gets the milk crate brigade up in arms talking about how a '96 Connie can do the same job for far less.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #33
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Well the GTL is out after trying it on at Miller. Worst ergos ever on a bmw, felt like I was on a Harley. Lower back hurt within seconds and that was just sitting there. Now the GT version is more like it with the high seat and further forward bars. Now where did I leave that spare $25k...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Well the GTL is out after trying it on at Miller. Worst ergos ever on a bmw, felt like I was on a Harley. Lower back hurt within seconds and that was just sitting there. Now the GT version is more like it with the high seat and further forward bars. Now where did I leave that spare $25k...
Did they have a GT available?

Both dealers here only have GTLs at the moment.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKovnat View Post
Hey, I like that expression "six appeal".

If that BMW engine's 1600 cc's were to be manifested as four cylinders with 400 cc each instead of 6 cylinders with ~267 cc's each, would it make much difference in terms of vibration? Did BMW go to an in-line 6 to avoid the use of balance shafts?
Six cylinder engines are inherently less balanced than engines with 4 cylinders. Interestingly a straight 6 (which was the standard car/truck engine for decades) has better inherent balance than a V-6. The industry did not go to V-6s for their larger engines over V-8s because they are superior. They are cheaper to produce and fit in smaller cars better than V-8s. You'll notice that after many years of battle with the US auto industry the Japanese finally gave in on V-6 engines and went to V-8s for their larger pickup trucks. The V-8 is just better in every way.

The choice of a straight 6 in a bike is a pretty good choice if you are going to build a 6.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 06-02-2011 at 12:14 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #36
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

Buzz nailed it: the I-6 is unique, fits the BMW heritage, and is simply cool because it is what it is.

And the '96 Connie can indeed do the same job for far less, 'cept it won't get you laid. The BMW might.
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

And inline-6 engines sound The Bomb, whilst V-6 engines sound the ASS BOMB.....

(usually due to uneven firing-order; then some joker will put duals straight out of the header and make it sound worse than a twin shotgun-piped Shadow)
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #38
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Did they have a GT available?

Both dealers here only have GTLs at the moment.
I dont know about available but the SLC bmw folks had a nice tent. One side two gt's and two gtls, the other a few srr's, guess which side was packed and which side wasnt? They fired the GT up when I was sitting on it, flashback to last year with the multistrada. Somehow I resisted making a break for it, but it was tough. D@mn that thing sounds good, loved the blutoof everything and the wheeliebob controller. I assume you can order the GTL top case for the GT, still need to try one on with my Stich as the knee notches are going to be close with the pads. The long bars and low seat on the GTL was decidedly unbmw though.

Freaking freezing weekend, snowed in Tooele twice. SLC received 2 inches of rain on Sunday.

Last edited by 12er : 06-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #39
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Well the GTL is out after trying it on at Miller. Worst ergos ever on a bmw, felt like I was on a Harley. Lower back hurt within seconds and that was just sitting there. Now the GT version is more like it with the high seat and further forward bars. Now where did I leave that spare $25k...
I haven't even sat on one, but came up with the same conclusion just looking at the photos. The GT has better ergos for most, versus the GTL.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I dont know about available but the SLC bmw folks had a nice tent. One side two gt's and two gtls, the other a few srr's, guess which side was packed and which side wasnt? They fired the GT up when I was sitting on it, flashback to last year with the multistrada. Somehow I resisted making a break for it, but it was tough. D@mn that thing sounds good, loved the blutoof everything and the wheeliebob controller. I assume you can order the GTL top case for the GT, still need to try one on with my Stich as the knee notches are going to be close with the pads. The long bars and low seat on the GTL was decidedly unbmw though.

Freaking freezing weekend, snowed in Tooele twice. SLC received 2 inches of rain on Sunday.
We were down by I-70 and Green River, Ut riding dirt bikes and ATVs. We saw all that weather moving north way to the west. Then Sat evening it began to blow at about 40-50mph from the south and did that all night. Didn't rain on us though.

The weather has been sucking bad all spring here. 3 years ago it was almost 100 on Memorial Day W/E in Tooele. Go figure.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off