Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Pricleline kicked ass for me today. I subscribe to the Cabot Investment newsletter. They are right way more times than they are wrong. Cost is $185 year. Priceline is one of their recommendations. It popped about $2,500 for me today. I happily spend the $185 a year for Cabot. MA and Visa I did on my own though

Right now I like companies in the dry bulk shipping sector. GNK, EAGLE, DSX, SBLK to name a few. All are hard core in the dumps due to the economy and shipping rates. SBLK pays a 7% dividend at it's current stock price. These will not turn overnight, but I have a 5 year horizon on them. Analysts hate them. I find I do well in the long run by doing the opposite of what the Cramers of the world say! Last time Cramer dished on oil and energy, I bought. Did well with that...

PFF is a preferred stock ETF that pays 6.7% dividend and the share price is quite stable. I like it for parking cash.

Take a look at the chart for AGQ if you like wild things. It tracks silver x 2.

Never, ever trade on margin

Last edited by Duken4evr : 02-24-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #22
wing-rider
Registered Member

I've been a loyal wing rider. I've had a 1990 wing,1995 wing and now i ride a 2005 Wing. I was waiting to trade my GL1800 on the new style all i have to say is way to let me down Honda. The stuff they changed wasn't worth changing and the things they left alone(no 6 speed transmission for mileage) The front end they could of did more "bold changes" the back end looks cheap. If i had to describe the 2012 or 2013 in a couple words "let down."
More than likely my next bike will now be a Star(Yamaha) Royal Star Venture S.
wing-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #23
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Ouch. Makes you wonder if Honda consults with guys like Wing Rider, who are their core customer. No manufacturer wants to hear a customer say this.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Pricleline kicked ass for me today. I subscribe to the Cabot Investment newsletter. They are right way more times than they are wrong. Cost is $185 year. Priceline is one of their recommendations. It popped about $2,500 for me today. I happily spend the $185 a year for Cabot. MA and Visa I did on my own though

Right now I like companies in the dry bulk shipping sector. GNK, EAGLE, DSX, SBLK to name a few. All are hard core in the dumps due to the economy and shipping rates. SBLK pays a 7% dividend at it's current stock price. These will not turn overnight, but I have a 5 year horizon on them. Analysts hate them. I find I do well in the long run by doing the opposite of what the Cramers of the world say! Last time Cramer dished on oil and energy, I bought. Did well with that...

PFF is a preferred stock ETF that pays 6.7% dividend and the share price is quite stable. I like it for parking cash.

Take a look at the chart for AGQ if you like wild things. It tracks silver x 2.

Never, ever trade on margin
I have one word for you son: plastics.

I bought cardboard when it was 18 cents a ton. It's over 24 cents now and I've got 8,000 pounds of the stuff. Am I rich? Well...heh heh....you do the math.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
wing-rider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Ouch. Makes you wonder if Honda consults with guys like Wing Rider, who are their core customer. No manufacturer wants to hear a customer say this.
What really honks me off. My dealer (Honda dealer) meets with their district manager once a month talks to them about what buyers or possible buyers are saying about bikes,4-wheelers and dirt bikes. Kind of a roundtable session. I gave him about 5 or 6 things to present to this district manager to bring up with a engineers or designers. NOT ONE is on the 2012. I wanted a 6 speed transmission for better mileage.Nope.
cordless/bluetooth helmets Nope.

adjust the fairing for taller guys(i'm 6 ft 4 or 5) when i use my highway pegs my inside of my calves sometimes get burnt in the wenter on the engine. nope(doesn't look like that in the picture)

I'm the type I like aggresive designs. so i suggested a more aggressive front end.(not like a GSX-R or CBR but you gotta admit the wing previous gen to 2012 about the same) nope

electric windshield, electric windshield did i say electric windshield. The one thing i gotta give BMW KLT models they have a SMOOTH electric windshield set up. my friend with a KLT model he's a smaller guy he's only 5 ft 10 or 11 and i'm 6 ft 4 or 5 so he just hit a button slide it up boom your done your on the road. (nope didn't do it on 2012 wing)

in my opinion if a bike or any product company won't listen to the consumer(and when you got loyal consumers) then they go to your competition. Like i plan to with Yamaha.
wing-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
mlynch001
Registered Member

I worked for HONDA for almost 20 years ('83 - '03). I saw HONDA weather the storms, but they had real enthusiasts in charge then! They FINALLY got rid of all the motorcycle guys and replaced them with accountants and marketing people! HONDA would have been better served to keep the old bike for another year! All this will do is boost the sales of aftermarket chrome stuff, since a majority of the "old" stuff will not longer work! The LAST thing HONDA needed was Bold New Graphics! This is one step forward and two steps back! They lost me with the quasi-Harley bags! I only thought I had seen the "lows" from HONDA! The Gold Wing had been a steady progression from good to GREAT! Now this? This is what happens when cars take precedence over motorcycles!
mlynch001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
MD11Pilot
Registered Member

2012 Wing. Disappointed but with the economy not totally surprised. If only the engineers and marketers would visit forums such as this and others dedicated to one type (GL1800riders.com) and listen to what the end user is saying, then they would blow the competition away. But then what would the after market guys do for a living?
For the type of riding that I do, the Wing is the only bike that will fill the need. No, the Harley won't, the BMW won't etc. Brand loyalty? Absolutely. Do I wish the new BMW 1600 would pull a trailer? Yes but it will not unless someone comes up with an after market hitch. Spyder is the (correct me if I am wrong) only manufacturer that has a trailer as an option and pictures trailers in their ads.
I don't like the new rear saddle bags nor the bozo the clown rear lights. The rest of it looks okay. I have an 07 but am seriously considering a trade for a 2010 just to get ABS (IN MY OPINION - it should not be an option).
Will withhold final judgment until I can actually sit on one and look at it up close.
MD11Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

The answer to your Gold Wing prayers might be in BMW's K1600GLT. I just rode it today. Wow! Basically the same price as the GL but with so much more performance and features. Stay tuned for my road test.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #29
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The answer to your Gold Wing prayers might be in BMW's K1600GLT. I just rode it today. Wow! Basically the same price as the GL but with so much more performance and features. Stay tuned for my road test.
Exciting, eh? How long do we have to wait?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
bmwclay
Founding Member

Talking 2013 Wing

The 2013 Wing -- to be released early in 2012 -- will have two extra wheels for stability, better weather protection, seating for four, and will actually cost less.

It will be renamed, as well. It will be called the "Civic."

(and will finally get the extra 40 horsepower it needed.)
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote