Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 250cc Beginner Bike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17609-2011-250cc-beginner-bike-shootout.html)

Administrator 02-16-2011 12:30 PM

2011 250cc Beginner Bike Shootout

Original Article:
2011 250cc Beginner Bike Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 250cc Beginner Bike Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 02-16-2011 01:06 PM

The answer to one of the most-oft asked questions on this site!

Nice job, guys!

Dr_Sprocket 02-16-2011 03:15 PM

Interesting write-up. Always nice to know they discuss which bikes might be best based on rider size. Sounds like Hyosung might have actually won, had it not been for the cheap tires and notchy shifting.

Kevin_Duke 02-16-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 255754)
Interesting write-up. Always nice to know they discuss which bikes might be best based on rider size. Sounds like Hyosung might have actually won, had it not been for the cheap tires and notchy shifting.

Yeah, the Hyosung V-Twin motor produces good power. It'd be great to test one with higher-end rubber to see how it behaves.

Duken4evr 02-16-2011 09:18 PM

Hyundai used to build really crummy cars. Only those who are not paying attention think that now. Hyosung will come along.

No real reason to explain it, but I have such a curiosity about what a PCIII, Hotcams set and a full exhaust would do for that Honda. It has a slick engine design. Getting 30hp out of a 250 single is child's play. The Yamaha WR enduro manages to do so no problem.

A hotted up version of the Honda could be a lot of fun for ripping around the city. HRC Power Up kit anyone? :D

Nice writeup guys. This segment is where new riders are grown.

Morbo the Destroyer 02-17-2011 05:40 AM

I'm sure Soichiro Honda would be very pleased to see the new 250 CBR. It appears to meet a lot of the principles he built the company on: leading-edge technology, extremely good value for the price, and a quality product that competes and wins against established market leaders. It annoys me the kid is still 4 years out from being street-legal, otherwise I could buy him one and then sneak out on it at night when he's asleep! I'm really looking forward to seeing this bike at the dealership.

Too bad the Yo-Sung is cheesy; it's a nice looking bike.

spoonyfork 02-17-2011 09:00 AM

Is there a review of the Cleveland CycleWerks 250cc motorbikes forthcoming?

Kevin_Duke 02-17-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonyfork (Post 255773)
Is there a review of the Cleveland CycleWerks 250cc motorbikes forthcoming?

First we heard of it. Do you have an inside line?

acecycleins 02-17-2011 09:43 AM

KD- Lifan motors. Rebadged or not the fact is the bikes are not too different than Jonnhy Peg bikes. The website is cheese. The descriptions and tech info is weak. If they'd like to make a splash I suggest a better web design and the company should be seeking out MO and others to review the bikes. Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to have a factory warranty that is two years.

bbtowns 02-17-2011 09:50 AM

My wife used to have a Ninja 250, and a good friend learned to ride on the new honda 250. I never had a chance to ride them in the city just on back roads and the freeway, but I think you guys hit those bikes right on the nail head. For canyon carving I'd take the ninja in a heartbeat, it's faster, seemed to handle about the same, and it's easy to keep the bike up in it's rev range in that environment. If I was to ride in the city a lot, the Honda would make sense, since that single pulls from idle reasonably (and has a ridiculously low 1st). Have to say I'm not as aghast at the carbs as you guys are, at least I know how to fiddle with those (must be old!).