Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 250cc Beginner Bike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17609-2011-250cc-beginner-bike-shootout.html)

Morbo the Destroyer 02-17-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 255776)
The website is cheese. The descriptions and tech info is weak.

Boy, you nailed that one. From the quazi-Nazi emblem at the top to the "Call of Duty" grainy black and white, it looks like some kid hacked it up in his basement. Pathetic.

The_AirHawk 02-17-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 255782)
Boy, you nailed that one. From the quazi-Nazi emblem at the top to the "Call of Duty" grainy black and white, it looks like some kid hacked it up in his basement. Pathetic.

Hey! I worked a long damn time on that site! At least 5 or 6 hours!

Screw You, buddy!

MotoCraze 02-17-2011 01:09 PM

Good test. I almost feel like someone was reading my comments.
I think Kawa and Honda are at the same level of quality and value for the money, but Honda seems to target more at absolute beginners and around town ride, while Kawasaki is better for hose who have some previous experience and want more speed and open road ride.
Hyosung is getting better actually. They got redesigned last year and they got EFI. Cooling is not only by air, cause they also have an oil cooler. Final touch is not that good, but engine is quite reliable, and offers a good value for the money. R version is even better, for the fairing and double disc on the front, and its aggressive sporty seating position gives you a better feel in curves, but gonna hurt you on longer rides. Tried them all.
Honda actually makes the best on road 250 bike, but it is not CBR, but VTR 250. VTR has liquied cooled V-Twin, IMO best 250 engine. I don't understand why Honda offer VTR only in few countries. Weird. Just as weird as the carbs on Ninja 250 for US.

mscuddy 02-17-2011 03:26 PM

Let me get this right: A 2011 Honda 250cc single cylinder four stroke street bike weighs 359 lbs.

Does a truss come in the tool kit? That's ludicrous. Must have a giant battery, right? Lead based paint? Solid frame tubes?

Sheesh....

The_AirHawk 02-17-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 255802)
Let me get this right: A 2011 Honda 250cc single cylinder four stroke street bike weighs 359 lbs.

Does a truss come in the tool kit? That's ludicrous. Must have a giant battery, right? Lead based paint? Solid frame tubes?

Sheesh....

Full O' Fluids, if I read that right.

Still, a bit Porky.

BUT, even with the ABS it's lighter than the Ninja - which is essentially the same bike it was back in '86 (w/updated bodywork and a few engine tweaks).

Look for the Littlest Japanese Assassin to gain a few el-beez when they add the Feeyool-Injekshulatin' hardware.

Dr_Sprocket 02-17-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 255802)

Sheesh....

Heeeeer we go again! *rolls eyes*

Duken4evr 02-17-2011 03:58 PM

The VTR 250 was/is way cool. It would likely be a lot heavier at the cash register though. That is a pity, for as crotchety is Cuddy is about weight, I am about money.

It is a bit of a catch 22. A new beginner probably should not be on a shiny new bike, because they will throw it away in some form or another with pretty much 100% certainty. Best to do that with an old beater, but somebody has to pay 4 large plus tax for a new "beginner bike." My preference is to pay 4 large for a lighty used $7,000 bike.

Hmm. My long suffering DRZ400 dual sport might be up for sale pretty soon. It could be a decent beginner bike. Already pre-crashed and bashed through all manner of off road too. Dropping it at this point would make little discernable difference. Perfect for beginners, and I need a last of the pre jacked up "BMW edition" fuel injected Husky TE450s for ongoing off road duties. Let's talk beginner types :)

Kevin_Duke 02-17-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 255776)
KD- Lifan motors. Rebadged or not the fact is the bikes are not too different than Jonnhy Peg bikes. The website is cheese. The descriptions and tech info is weak. If they'd like to make a splash I suggest a better web design and the company should be seeking out MO and others to review the bikes. Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to have a factory warranty that is two years.

Well, there we go then. A Johnny Pag wannabe. I'll wait for their call if they want to talk.

timbo813 02-18-2011 04:59 AM

Good job on the comparison guys. I would absolutely love to see you guys mod these slightly and see how they respond. PCIII on the FI bikes, jet kit on the Kawi, pipes on all of them and some better rubber on the hyosung. Let those babies breath and see how they respond. It would be nice to see more bottom end on the ninja and top end on the honda.

pplassm 02-18-2011 06:29 AM

One of the Cleveland Cycle Werks bikes was tested in this month's Cycle World. It was the "chopper" version. They didn't absolutely pan it, but they did not say it was spectacular, either. I think their best comment was along the lines of "Well, nothing fell off" .