Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Ducati Diavel Review

Original Article:
2011 Ducati Diavel Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Ducati Diavel Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Anyone remember the Ducati Apollo? Nice write up Pete, but that bike is ugly. It may have double whammy gizmos and steam heated vacuum tubes, but it is still ugly. That last shot of the giant rear tire conjurs up visions of the circus fat lady. They will sell about two or three of these to nearsighted ex-Suzuki Madura owners.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default Purdy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Anyone remember the Ducati Apollo? Nice write up Pete, but that bike is ugly. It may have double whammy gizmos and steam heated vacuum tubes, but it is still ugly. That last shot of the giant rear tire conjurs up visions of the circus fat lady. They will sell about two or three of these to nearsighted ex-Suzuki Madura owners.
Ugly? Cool? I'm not sure. Too subjective an area for me to pin down.

Odd, espc for a Duc? Indeed.

(Then again the 1st gen MTS likely scared Duc neophytes away in droves.)
Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

I am Tetsuo.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

When the MTS debuted I thought you'd have to be high to own one. I kinda like the new bike. I think that the tire is too wide, but overall I like the look and the seated position.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The thing that rocks about this bike is the engine is the real deal. Japan, and especially Harley, take note. Twins in "cruisers" can make power, oh yes they can...

The looks are too far out there for me, but this bike's motor looks to be the coolest thing slotted into a motorcycle yet. 90 degree V-twin character blended with good old fashioned excess horsepower. Sign me up for some of that Devilish goodness!

In all honesty, I would spring for the Multi though. Pretty much the same tune and it is not a rolling circus attraction. Gotta had it to Ducati though, as a company they have big solid brass balls. Ducati has also been quite a success as of late. It goes hand in hand
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
I am Tetsuo.
Tetsuo, that's too-much bike for you!

Now, fetch my Quallude-jacket, we've got a race against the Clowns later tonite......

-Kaneda
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

There's a guy at work who has decided he wants a bike. He's been looking at a used VMax, the Warrior, but was really focusing on the VRod. Yesterday I brought in my Motor Cyclist magazine with the Diavel cover story. A couple hours later he came over and said "You ruined my week. I can't afford this damn thing, but it weighs under 500 lbs and has 160 hp!"

I think Ducati is going to sell a boatload of these things to a lot of riders who otherwise wouldn't set foot in a Ducati dealership. Hell, they may wind up getting their first exposure at the local drag strips with it.

The only questions in my mind are: will anybody in Europe buy one, and if they do, who's going to teach them how to do burnouts? (No, not you, Anaranjalala).

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 02-15-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

I believe the marketing guys are right when they say that this bike will be the sales leader for the season for Ducati. I think that there is a market outside of the USA for it, but since they aren't exactly going to be pumping out 200k of them it won't matter how big of a Euro splash they make becasue the majority of them will be coming here. I project better 1st yr sales than the entire Classic line when they debuted.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
There's a guy at work who has decided he wants a bike. He's been looking at a used VMax, the Warrior, but was really focusing on the VRod. Yesterday I brought in my Motor Cyclist magazine with the Diavel cover story. A couple hours later he came over and said "You ruined my week. I can't afford this damn thing, but it weighs under 500 lbs and has 160 hp!"

I think Ducati is going to sell a boatload of these things to a lot of riders who otherwise wouldn't set foot in a Ducati dealership. Hell, they may wind up getting their first exposure at the local drag strips with it.

The only questions in my mind are: will anybody in Europe buy one, and if they do, who's going to teach them how to do burnouts? (No, not you, Anaranjalala).
Good to hear a perspective from someone not claiming the Diavel is the end of Ducati as we know it. Considering the tough market for such a machine, I also believe it will do well for them.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote