Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
jsbailey
Registered Member

Default Time to Upgrade

Hello all,

First time poster, so bear with me

In winter of '05 I bought my first bike: An '06 Kawasaki Ninja EX500. Now that I've graduated from college, started my first job, bought my first house, it's time to spend some money on something fun: a new bike

I've been looking mostly at the literbikes, the BMW S1000RR, Yamaha YZF-R1, Honda CBR1000RR, etc. but also at the more "exotic" Aprilia RSV4 and Ducati 848 EVO / 1198.

I'm only about 5'10" and not sure how these bikes will "fit" me, but I'm going to be going out tomorrow to sit on a few and see how they feel. Was just wondering if anyone out there had some good buying guides for the 2011 literbike category, or just any general advice for me. I've had trouble finding much in the way of reviews for the 2011 models. Wondering if the BMW will continue to reign supreme (I saw it was Motorcycle.com's best bike of 2010).
jsbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Your list indicates you are looking for a sportbike, period. The only way to decide which one you like best is to go and sit on all of them. Of course, none of them are famous for their comfy riding positions, but some suck less than the others.

All of them are orders of magnitude more capable than you will be able to use for quite a while. Other than cost of ownership (and that includes the cost of insurance, which will be WAY up there!), the bikes are all very good.

The prices of the 'exotics' (which includes the S1000RR) are a good bit more expensive than the Yamakawzuki offerings.

I would suggest an advanced riding course before you strap yourself on one of those road missiles.

Once you get down to one or two candidates, you can do some thorough research into the models.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
jsbailey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
The prices of the 'exotics' (which includes the S1000RR) are a good bit more expensive than the Yamakawzuki offerings.
Thanks for the response, pushrod!

I just wanted to point out the reason I lumped the S1000RR in with the YZF-R1: S1000RR MSRP ($13,950), YZF-R1 ($13,590 - $13,790), ZX-10R ($13,799), and the Hyabusa ($13,699). All pretty much the same in my book.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Just make sure its what you really want, as thats a nice chuck of coin to throw down. I'd suggest a used gsxr 750 or a nice 600 as a good stepping stone. The 1k's are overkill for the street and the jump from 40hp to 180hp is quite large.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Honestly, at this stage you couldn't ride the wheels off a 600 supersport vs a liter bike. You'll save hundreds a year in insurance if you stick with a supersport. I'd say CBR600RR w ABS, Triumph 675 Daytona, MV F3, or the new Suzuki GSXR600. Even the 848 may be above your skill level at this time. Bomb around on a supersport for about 3-4 yrs and get as many track days as possible.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I agree with the above posters, JSBailey. At this time, a litre bike is probably waaaay more bike than you could possible use or handle. All of ACE's suggestions are quite capable bikes.

Just out of curiosity, how many motorcycle miles do you have under your belt?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I agree with the above posters, JSBailey. At this time, a litre bike is probably waaaay more bike than you could possible use or handle. All of ACE's suggestions are quite capable bikes.

Just out of curiosity, how many motorcycle miles do you have under your belt?
If it's less than 15,000; he's probably not yet ready for a Supersport.

I rode nearly 50,000 before I got my own 600 - and have ridden more than that on the just that 600 since (as well as the other bikes).

Not that I haven't accepted rides aboard other bikes - you offer: I'll ride it (50cc tiddler, Shadow Cruiser, 'Busa, Z1000, Duc 999, 86hp 700cc Hord-built HawkGT......) - just that my "main" rides tend to be somewhat more Utilitarian - my HawkGT(s), my FZ6, PC800, VTR, etc.

This is Serious Business. Your life is literally on the line every time you throw a leg across your bike - if you don't have enough sense to respect whole-heartedly a machine that makes 100+hp: Your Destiny is that of a Statistic, probably sooner than late.

Sorry if I've come-across as a bit harsh; I love Motorcycling and it dismays me to to see people maimed/killed doing that which I love. I'm also under the influence of Benadryl, which alters my perceptions of..... well.... everything.....

(not to mention my spelling - 9 corrected errors)
(that I caught)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
jsbailey
Registered Member

Enjoying the responses here. Had a rough day looking at bikes today, as one of the places incorrectly listed their hours, and it was a substantial drive from home to get there only to find out they were closed. Not too happy about that one.

As I sat on a few of the literbikes today I am realizing they are a bit ... 'bigger' than I might have expected. So, if only from a physical standpoint, I may be forced into a 600. We'll see.

I've got over 5200 miles on my 500, mostly because I'm not able to ride year round (I live in Iowa). However, I don't ever approach a motorcycle with any lack of respect for what I'm about to do. I'm a very calm, level-headed, and extremely observant driver while on my bike. From an emotional/mental standpoint, I surely feel capable of riding even the largest of bikes. I'm more concerned about being comfortable and happy with what I have than what it's capable of. I chose the bikes because of their style and looks more than anything.

I've always been someone who likes having more power than most people would ever consider necessary. It doesn't mean I drive like I have it, it's just nice that it's there when I want it.

I've also been considering trying out a Harley but I'm not sure it's quite the style I want. Nothing really jumped out at me today that I thought looked amazing, like some of those literbikes do. It's going to take some time looking around to find what I want. Definitely a lot to think about.

Really though, I do appreciate the responses and the concern.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Talking Mathematical proof

5200 miles / 5 years = 1000 miles/year. At 40 mph average speed (in town and highway averaged), that's only 25 hours per year. Since your riding is limited to the warmer months (3 summer months), it would not be likely that you'd be able to maintain your skills year 'round. Given that, your first 15-20 hours every year can be attributed to relearning your basic skills. So... all totaled, you have 25 hours of moderate riding experience on a 50 hp, 500cc bike... over 5 years!!!

The math proves you simply do not have enough experience to buy a litre bike. Best I can offer is a ten-year old 600cc. Sorry.

Your ideal bike: 2001 Honda CB600F4i.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

There's always the new Triumph Tiger 800!

I can state without reservation that it (well, the XC at least) is a hoot!

My only 'complaint' is the BattleWing DP tires felt weird. I never did get used to them. Headlights are freakin' awesome!

It is a LOT better looking in person, BTW. Especially the White one!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote