Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
RogerA
Registered Member

Default New to riding

I am in the process of buying a 2011 fatboy. They didn't seem receptive to negotiate on price. I plan to have HD put on vance and hines big radius pipes, screaming eagle intake, tuning module and a different from stock seat (forgot the name). Should I or do I ask for the stock parts back or equivalent discount on those parts? Like is said, I'm new to biking and green as hell. Thanks in advance.
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

They probably won't give you any credit for the stock stuff. So, keep all of it. If you decide to sell the bike later, it is a PLUS to have all the original bits.

Also, consider the Dealership will soak you for the labor to install all the shiny bits, and charge you top dollar for them, too.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2011 fatboy. They didn't seem receptive to negotiate on price.
That's no surprise. New Harleys usually aren't discounted much.....if any.

I hope you are paying cash for all this............because it is my opinion that anybody who has to finance his toys should NOT be making the outlay that you propose.

Normal depreciation is bad enough but with the "extras" that you propose it's likely that you will be upside down for the majority of the term of the loan......and if you want or need to sell in the first couple of years, it's likely that you will take a substantial beating financially.

AND I have to ask.......as a brand new rider, what makes you think you need to spend all that extra money upfront instead of riding it a while to see if you REALLY want/need all that extra stuff. I'm assuming that you are getting some "expert" advice from a current Harley rider.......and I'm proposing that it is BAD advice for a new rider.......unless maybe you CAN pay 100% cash up front. Then it's still bad advice, just not quite AS bad.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you are new to riding, you shouldn't be buying a brand new bike. You also shouldn't be buying a Fatboy as your first bike. Buy used. If you're going to buy a Fatboy anyway, buy a used one; you should be able to find one with most of those options already on it for half the price of a new one. It's a buyer's market.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Roger,

When I was selling new HDs, you couldn't get the price below MSRP. That was in '05, things may have changed since then. What you could negotiate was money for accessories or the price of a trade-in to improve the deal. $500 in accessories was an easy concession, it cost the dealership about $200-$250. If you're paying MSRP in this market, I'd say press for $1,000 in free upgrades, and maybe a "store credit" to buy helmets, jackets, etc.

MtD

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Since the bikes haven't changed in a two decades (except displacement & the new gen TC motors) may I suggest a nice used 2002-2004 model at substantial savings vs new. When you drop your Harley to the ground you won't cry nearly as long.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Since the bikes haven't changed in a two decades (except displacement & the new gen TC motors) may I suggest a nice used 2002-2004 model at substantial savings vs new. When you drop your Harley to the ground you won't cry nearly as long.
+1. 80% of Flat-Boys sit in garages 90% of the time anyway. 120 miles per month is about average.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I'm getting to be a Fat Boy. Soon, I'll look like an Old Charlie Sheen on Donuts........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Been there, done that.