Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Rocko Ray
Registered Member

Question Is a supermoto or dual sport for me?

I am just starting to ride and looking for a dual sport or supermoto bike to ride to and from work about 15 miles. My problem is I live on a mile of rough dirt road with one section above my house that is very steep. I though about the KLX 250SF. Any input is more than welcomed. Thank you.
Rocko Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Excellent choice actually. The Suzuki DRZ400s and sm are a good choice and easy to find used. The SM will be a hoot but with your inexperience I'd stay away from road tires on loose roads. Stick with the dual sport bikes. You'll have more fun anyway. You have fireroads around you? Time to buy a gps.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Get a dual sport. There's more to riding than pavement. I saw a DR650 for sale around here for $900. DRZ400S's are abundant. I have one, and it's the bike that gets ridden the most!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Cool

The DRZ is a great bike. It can go down the street and yet it it can do fun stuff like this off road. The DRZ is quite corked up in stock form, but responds well to removing the airbox snorkle, a full exhaust and a jet kit. Lots of stuff on this bike in the DRZ forum on Thumpertalk.

I like to give the KTM riders fits on my DRZ. It also has revalved/resprung suspension and a hotter intake cam. Something about the DRZ - it is a competent and friendly package that simply begs me to grab it by the scruff of it's neck and ride the hell out of it

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote