Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
ErikP92
Registered Member

Default New to this all

Hello all!
I've begun looking into taking classes in my town to get the class M designation (or whatever it is) for my driver's license. While I realized that I probably won't be buying a bike for some time, I'd like some recommendations on Standard bikes. There's a lot of bikes out there, but I just want a nice, clean, slightly vintage standard bike. The BMW r 1200 r's seem pretty nice:
http://image.motorcyclecruiser.com/f..._view.jpeg.jpg

What other bikes are just nice and classic (and have hopefully been around for a while so I can get a nice used one?)
ErikP92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP92 View Post
The BMW r 1200 r's seem pretty nice:
Welcome.

Unless you are a fairly large and/or athletic person......a MUCH smaller bike would be a better first choice. If you are on the strong side, a slightly smaller bike would still be a better choice.

This will be your FIRST ride, not your last.......and it is likely to be tipped over a time or two, if not crashed.

Tell us a little more about yourself and we can take it from there.

Opinions usually flow from bike riders like water !!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Start small. Bikes are like socks. You wear them out, you mend them and you throw them away and replace them.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

The one Beemer even the Beemophiles hate.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
wing-rider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP92 View Post
Hello all!
I've begun looking into taking classes in my town to get the class M designation (or whatever it is) for my driver's license. While I realized that I probably won't be buying a bike for some time, I'd like some recommendations on Standard bikes. There's a lot of bikes out there, but I just want a nice, clean, slightly vintage standard bike. The BMW r 1200 r's seem pretty nice:
http://image.motorcyclecruiser.com/f..._view.jpeg.jpg

What other bikes are just nice and classic (and have hopefully been around for a while so I can get a nice used one?)
I don't know what state you are in. in the state of Ohio how i did mine. I took a Motorcycle Safety course. in the state of Ohio you take a 3 day course then you get your bike endorcement. best 25 dollars i spent motorcycle wise. with reguards to a BMW 1200R. I wouldn't start off with a big "oil head" get a little 250 or 500 until you get comfortable. I was even scared In high school my first bike was a CBR600. which i'm sure we have some CBR600 riders here. a 600 isn't a "joker's bike" the good thing was it taught me a lot about riding skill but at the same time i did some stupid stuff on my CBR600 when i had it. I always shake my head about kids just finishing their motorcycle safety course order a Hayabusa or B-King or ZX-14 or Yamaha R1. its like a kid getting his or her car license and ordering a Ferrari as their first car. their gonna crunch it up within a year or 2.
wing-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
The one Beemer even the Beemophiles hate.
And we have yet another new user who posts a question and then hasn't been back in 25 days to check for answers.