Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
BigMan73
Registered Member

Default Yamaha FZ-8 and a tall rider

Hi,

My first post here - sorry if I posted in the wrong place or ask the wrong questions..

I am looking into getting a 2011 Yamaha FZ-8.
The bike seems great - reviews, specs, looks, sound (youtube), price..everything. Just fits my "mental" requirements 100%.

I'd like to ride it for some short-medium touring, in the town, maybe to work on Spring-Autumn when it doesn't rain etc.

My main concern is how it would work out for a tall rider like me - 6'4 (230lbs), not fat at all..just tall with heavy bones.
I am worried about the sitting comfort; will my knees be totally cramped? Is the seat too low?

Since the model is new in the US, can any European riders with FZ8 experience comment on this subject?

Thanks,
Yuval
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Hi,

My first post here - sorry if I posted in the wrong place or ask the wrong questions..

I am looking into getting a 2011 Yamaha FZ-8.
The bike seems great - reviews, specs, looks, sound (youtube), price..everything. Just fits my "mental" requirements 100%.

I'd like to ride it for some short-medium touring, in the town, maybe to work on Spring-Autumn when it doesn't rain etc.

My main concern is how it would work out for a tall rider like me - 6'4 (230lbs), not fat at all..just tall with heavy bones.
I am worried about the sitting comfort; will my knees be totally cramped? Is the seat too low?

Since the model is new in the US, can any European riders with FZ8 experience comment on this subject?

Thanks,
Yuval

Hey Yuval,

Funny you should ask. My article here says we had a medium build 6'5" journo along for our 120+ mile ride. He said he had no problems, though of course he did look larger on the medium-sized bike. I'll look his name up and get back to you so you can read his article. (But otherwise keep checking back to Motorcycle.com, because we have the info in most cases).

Update: His name is Barry Winfield, and he writes for Smart Cycle Shopper. Here's his write-up.

-Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 01-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
BigMan73
Registered Member

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this great (and quick) reply!
I've just read your article and also Barry Winfield's - Barry confirms that this is the bike for me.
I just couldn't find references to his height (just weight).
But I'll try to contact him somehow (talk-backs?) and get some more in-person details if possible.
The photos in Barry's article are OK - not too bad for 6'5 guy on a med size bike. I was afraid of looking like a big ape on a small scooter, but probably this is not the case.

I'm definitely going to return to the forum - great site, articles & forum.

Cheers,
Yuval

Last edited by BigMan73 : 01-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

It's good to know that there are moto-journalists who are not the typical 5'9" uber-flexible rider. At 6'5" (mostly legs), I was wondering the exact same thing.

Good info, Jeff! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Waitadagguminite: ain'n't that-there FZ-Ocho essentially the same frame as the Uno, but for minor bar and peg tweaks? Would not a quick jolly one a borrowed/rented/stolen Uno get you a pretty-good-idear of how the Ocho fits yer carcass?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
BigMan73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Waitadagguminite: ain'n't that-there FZ-Ocho essentially the same frame as the Uno, but for minor bar and peg tweaks? Would not a quick jolly one a borrowed/rented/stolen Uno get you a pretty-good-idear of how the Ocho fits yer carcass?
Well...the last Uno I had was a Fiat Uno..
Your point is valid, maybe I can look for FZ1 somewhere - but still I'd like to know about FZ8 specifically.

Yuval
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

And along a man came 'a ridin'...
And he was ridin' with
Big heavy bones....
Hush all ye children
'Cause long came a man
He didn't give a damn,
All he had was
Big
Heavy
Bones.

Thank you...thank you...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this great (and quick) reply!
I've just read your article and also Barry Winfield's - Barry confirms that this is the bike for me.
I just couldn't find references to his height (just weight).
But I'll try to contact him somehow (talk-backs?) and get some more in-person details if possible.
The photos in Barry's article are OK - not too bad for 6'5 guy on a med size bike. I was afraid of looking like a big ape on a small scooter, but probably this is not the case.

I'm definitely going to return to the forum - great site, articles & forum.

Cheers,
Yuval

You're welcome. Glad to help. I was surprised to hear him say it was no problem (and that's exactly what I wrote in the article).

It could be Mr. Winfield is one of those extra adaptable kind of guys too. It is his job to write about these after all, so I don't know what else to surmise.

I'd suggest you talk with him, if possible, and size up on one or an FZ1. The ergos are near identical. My article says the number of millimeters the pegs and bars differ by between the one and eight. The FZ8 is slightly more aggressive. Same seat height on paper.

In sum: take everyone's advice for what you can, but perhaps still it's a case of caveat emptor. If it feels like it could get cramped, maybe it could. Ultimately, go with your gut ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

He mentioned a 34" inseam in the article and looks to fit under the knee notches on the tank. The first gen fz1's split my thigh on my 36" inseam, about 3" too low. It's going to be close for you, thin soled racing boots should help vs my redwings (blessed with 15's). Hope you fit.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
BigMan73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
He mentioned a 34" inseam in the article and looks to fit under the knee notches on the tank. The first gen fz1's split my thigh on my 36" inseam, about 3" too low. It's going to be close for you, thin soled racing boots should help vs my redwings (blessed with 15's). Hope you fit.
Thanks for the input! It is very helpful.
I have a 34" inseam too so perhaps it would be fine.
15 is small, try size 17.. Which raises a serious question of how easy it would be to shift gears. I might have to modify the gear lever (did that in a previous bike).

There is no replacement to sitting and riding the bike - Called a big dealer in NJ, and was told that they don't have test drives and in particular during the winter I could forget it.
So sitting on the bike (I might go there today) is a start..will report my findings.