Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

A stock FZ1 is tame indeed. To be honest, Yamaha really screwed it up. I would not be shocked if the FZ8 with it's smaller intakes, longer exhaust headers and 4 valve head is not too far behind the FZ1 power wise below 7,000 rpm. Above 7K, the FZ1 revs hard and takes off, even in stock form. It is not too hard to ride below 7,000 rpm though. The FZ1 is also geared very tall. (17/45) in stock form. I would not be too worried aobut power. If you were interested in the FZ8 and are comfortable with it's level of power, the FZ1's engine will defintely not overwhelm. Not until you uncork it with a pipe and other tricks. Then it will rev like a loon and fly like the wind baby!

As big and tall as you are, a BMW GS type bike might be the ticket. BMW is not afraid to give you a tall seat and some real legroom. It is a man's bike. Takes a manly budget to afford one new though

Last edited by Duken4evr : 01-29-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #22
BigMan73
Registered Member

Hi Jeff,
First - thanks for the tips, really appreciate it.
FZ-8 cannot be fitted to me - way too small.
The heaviest bike I've ridden was a Suzuki VX-800.
I have self control, and don't intend to go crazy with the bike, was just worried that it would punish me.
But after talking to the Yamaha dealer and reading some reviews, I think that as long as I control the throttle it should not punish me. If I understand correctly, it does have a (tamed down) R1 engine but the throttle movement is much longer and overall behavior is calmer.
FZ6R was OK, but compared to FZ1 - FZ1 felt like a glove. It was my size.
The weight was also OK - I know it is not light, but compared to my body weight it is relatively matching..Also I totally agree about the weight compensation.
So my instincts tell me to go with a (used) FZ1.
It could be a very good commuter and a weekend tourer.

Thanks a lot,
Yuval

Last edited by BigMan73 : 01-30-2011 at 12:08 AM.
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
BigMan73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

As big and tall as you are, a BMW GS type bike might be the ticket. BMW is not afraid to give you a tall seat and some real legroom. It is a man's bike. Takes a manly budget to afford one new though
Thanks - I am considering a BMW GS too. The BMW F800R also looks very interesting.
I have a manly budget, but no wifely approval..
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Thanks - I am considering a BMW GS too. The BMW F800R also looks very interesting.
I have a manly budget, but no wifely approval..
"P.O. denied. Re-submit in... never."

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Hi Jeff,
I have self control, and don't intend to go crazy with the bike, was just worried that it would punish me.
But after talking to the Yamaha dealer and reading some reviews, I think that as long as I control the throttle it should not punish me. If I understand correctly, it does have a (tamed down) R1 engine but the throttle movement is much longer and overall behavior is calmer.
The weight was also OK - I know it is not light, but compared to my body weight it is relatively matching..Also I totally agree about the weight compensation.

Thanks a lot,
Yuval
If you are interested in FZ1s, head on over to FZ1OA Message Board - Powered by vBulletin There is so much info on there, it is truly ridiculous. We love our FZ1s.

There are 2 generations of FZ1. The "Gen 1" was made 2001 to 2005 and has a retuned 1998 vintage R1 engine with sidedraft CV carbs. In stock form, the Gen 1 bike has less top end power, but considerably more low and midrange power than the 2006 to current "Gen II" bikes like mine. It is comfier, heavier and more "old school" than the Gen II. The Gen 1 FZ1 is a better Bandit 1100, basically. The Gen 1 really is an awesome bike, perhaps the best all around "standard" style bike ever made.

The "Gen II" bike like mine is sportier and sharper looking/handling. It can be made to be more of an "R1 with a handlebar" than the Gen 1. The Gen II has better gearbox ratios - the lower 3 gears on the Gen 1 are a bit widely spaced, but the torque handles this OK, especially if the gearing is lowered a bit. The Gen II has fuel injection and I have a lot of good maps for it over on the FZ1 board if you do decide to modify it.

Both bikes respond well to the usual external modifications. I like the inverted forks on the Gen II bike a lot better though - the Gen 1 conventional forks are sprung and damped soft and they wear their bushings and require more frequent disasembly and service. Gen II's forks are sprung well for riders up to about 210, and they have proven to be very low maintenance. Change the oil every 15K and just ride, pretty much. The Gen II also has far greater stator output (550W vs. 350 on the Gen 1), if you like to run heated accessories for cold weather riding. You can bake yourself on a Gen II and not worry about overloading anything.

Used costs for them are not that different as the Gen II bikes depreciate quite a bit. The Gen II got well deserved lukewarm to negative reviews due to abrupt fuel injection issues on the '06 model (fixable with a fuel cut eliminator add on from Ivan) and comparatively weak midrange power for a liter class bike (also fixable with pipes and such). I hated my Gen II in stock form. It was weak below 7,000 rpm in my jaded opinion. Now it is a freakin' monster able to throttle up the front end at 7,000 feet elevation and 65 mph.

From reading your posts, I really think you might want to consider a clean used Gen I bike. They really are awesome machines. It is easy to find them knowledgeably set up too - nothing wrong with a bike that has an Ivan's jet kit installed, the airbox "ported" and a slip on exhaust in place.

Good luck!

Last edited by Duken4evr : 01-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #26
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot,
Yuval
Hi Yuval,

Sure thing. Glad to help any way I can. You now also have good help from Duken who knows your chosen bike very well and can help you avoid pitfalls in selecting one.

I believe in choice and free will, but point out my choice is almost always to wear "all the gear all the time." That would be my recommendation for you as you budget for coming back to riding, but of course, I respect everyone's right to decide on this matter.

Jeff
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #27
BigMan73
Registered Member

@Duken4evr: Wow - lots of super useful information. I just joined the FZ1OA forum. Currently looking at a 2007/Gen II.

@Jeff - Every word you wrote is gold. I'm absorbing this into my system.

You guys rock.