Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

BigMan- If you think you need lift then take the seat and alter it by adding foam or gel and recovering it. Bet you can gain an inch or two of leg room easy for minimal investment.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
BigMan73
Registered Member

UPDATE:
Visited a Yamaha dealer and sat on the FZ8.
Quite disappointed - the seat is too low (though some foam/gel could help, the dealer suggested the same) but the main problem is the huge and wide gas tank. My knees were touching the upper edge of the tank - very uncomfortable.
Also the sitting position is quite aggressive - leaning forward.
Of course - this is all static, I did not ride it. But still.

Next to it was a FZ6R - It is supposed to be a 'smaller' bike, but the ergonomics were much better, it felt roomier/bigger, with a not so wide gas tank. Honestly I have no problem with its smaller engine.

I guess you can't buy a bike by looking at photographs.

Anyway, once I get a bike, I'm going to take the advice given here and raise the seat by adding foam/gel and I also intend to cut the gear lever and extend by 2 inches.

Thanks for tips! The search for a "BigManBike" is still on...
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I'm still tryin' to get over "Size 17".........

Do the Ladies ever leave you in peace?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Hey BigMan!

I have an FZ1, which has the same frame and probably ergonomics as the FZ8.

One option to look into that I did on my FZ1 was to mount a SWTech crash cage and some "highway pegs" to it. The cage gives a lot of piece of mind with the exposed naked engine hanging out there, and the pegs are pure heaven when my knees start to get sore 300 miles into a ride. I am 48 yrs old, 6' tall and 190 pounds. Even for me, the extra legroom option is nice.

Attached is a photo of my setup. I think you will like the FZ8. You might want to look into the FZ1 too, as you are a big dude. Dealers are dealing on them. New left over stock for mid 8K out the door is definitely doable. The Ninja 1000 would be a good choice too, but no highway peg option with the full fairing on it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/P1010008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/P1010005.jpg

Never dragged them yet in the folded up position. Feet forward reminds me of a 1979 GS1000. Very comfy I could go farther forward, but this works best - it still feels balanced when riding at speed into the wind.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
BigMan73
Registered Member

@The_AirHawk: ROFL..I had tears, really..I meant shoe size, yes? .. My one and only wife has no complaints.

@Duken4evr: Thanks, I'll look into FZ1 as well. I know it is the same frame but maybe the ergonomics are better. Ninja 1000 is too super-sport for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Also the sitting position is quite aggressive - leaning forward.
Of course - this is all static, I did not ride it. But still.

You may be able to replace the tubular bar with another one maybe 1-3 inches higher (or wider too) with not too much difficulty.

Custom alterations possibly to foot controls (as you mentioned or peg positioning), hand controls, and saddle may be what you need to consider, assuming your knees can be comfortable with the tank of the bike you eventually decide on.

Depending on how motivated (and much extra time/money you want to spend) you can make a bike that's "close" ideal.

At (only) 6 feet tall, I find a lot of off-the-shelf bikes to be confining here and there. Some I could get used to, others, I think of how I'd tweak them.

I'd think this would be more the case for you.

Do you have a bike that fits you now?
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
BigMan73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
You may be able to replace the tubular bar with another one maybe 1-3 inches higher (or wider too) with not too much difficulty.

Custom alterations possibly to foot controls (as you mentioned or peg positioning), hand controls, and saddle may be what you need to consider, assuming your knees can be comfortable with the tank of the bike you eventually decide on.

Depending on how motivated (and much extra time/money you want to spend) you can make a bike that's "close" ideal.

At (only) 6 feet tall, I find a lot of off-the-shelf bikes to be confining here and there. Some I could get used to, others, I think of how I'd tweak them.

I'd think this would be more the case for you.

Do you have a bike that fits you now?
@Jeff: Thanks. Yes, I totally agree - Funny thing the Yamaha dealer (really nice guy) said the exact same thing.
I just need to find a bike which is a good starting point and make it fit me. It might cost me $$$ (but I can't afford $$$$) but I accept that.
No, I don't have a bike right now - Haven't ridden for a long time.
Will try the FZ1 this week.
I was told the BMWs are big and spacious - will try them as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I'm still tryin' to get over "Size 17".........

Do the Ladies ever leave you in peace?
"He must have an enormous Schvanstuka."

"Well, I suppose that only stands to reason."

"Whuff!"

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
BigMan73
Registered Member

Default Update: Fz-1

Quote:
@Jeff: Thanks. Yes, I totally agree - Funny thing the Yamaha dealer (really nice guy) said the exact same thing.
I just need to find a bike which is a good starting point and make it fit me. It might cost me $$$ (but I can't afford $$$$) but I accept that.
No, I don't have a bike right now - Haven't ridden for a long time.
Will try the FZ1 this week.
I was told the BMWs are big and spacious - will try them as well.
Hi Guys,
UPDATE:
I sat on a FZ1 today in the dealer's store - but couldn't ride it.
It felt very roomy and comfortable, but the bike is not heavy or too big. I liked the sitting position - not too straight but not too leaning forward. Also it seems that the handle bar can be replaced, so in the future a higher one might be installed for a more upright position.
My main worry is its powerful engine.
I'm trying to think how I can find some FZ1 bike to test drive it.
My friend has a FZ6R which is not the same of course but it is "in the same family". Any ideas or recommendations of the FZ1 are welcome (maybe it should go in another thread).

Thanks!
Yuval
Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Hi Guys,
UPDATE:
I sat on a FZ1 today in the dealer's store - but couldn't ride it.
It felt very roomy and comfortable, but the bike is not heavy or too big. I liked the sitting position - not too straight but not too leaning forward. Also it seems that the handle bar can be replaced, so in the future a higher one might be installed for a more upright position.
My main worry is its powerful engine.
I'm trying to think how I can find some FZ1 bike to test drive it.
My friend has a FZ6R which is not the same of course but it is "in the same family". Any ideas or recommendations of the FZ1 are welcome (maybe it should go in another thread).

Thanks!
Yuval

Hi Yuval,

So there's no chance an FZ8 could also be adjusted for you? Would you be content with an FZ6R and could that fit? You said you've not ridden in a while? The power question really depends on your self assessment of your: 1) skills and ability to get back in shape as a rider quickly, 2) self control not to over-use the power if you are unsure about it.

What's the most powerful bike you every had? Was it anything ever close? Were you ever the kind of rider who could manhandle a modern literbike? If not, it could be revelatory, if not shocking. If so, it's like muscle memory. You'll get it back.

The FZ1 is a powerful bike, not much different than an earlier R1 with upright ergos. If you take it easy, it can be ridden around all day like a 125cc scooter. If you have compulsive tendencies, or the like, and let it loose, you'll be doing a buck-10-20+ before you can say "boo."

Duken4evr has his spitting out R1-level hp and torque with a pipe, and a few mods. He likes it also because it compensates for high altitude losses in Colorado.

You are heavier than average and likewise, it could compensate for your weight, but you'll need to decide whether you want that kind of power. If you plan to go 2-up, you could appreciate it for that too.

No right answers my friend. If you have doubts, listen to your instincts. If you are up for it, take it easy, and one day at a time.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 01-29-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote