Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Yamaha FZ8 Review - First Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17418-2011-yamaha-fz8-review-first-ride.html)

Administrator 01-13-2011 02:49 PM

2011 Yamaha FZ8 Review - First Ride

Original Article:
2011 Yamaha FZ8 Review - First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Yamaha FZ8 Review - First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 01-13-2011 03:08 PM

Could this bike be the absolutely best "do-it-all" bike there is? Quite possibly.

Kevin_Duke 01-13-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 254549)
Could this bike be the absolutely best "do-it-all" bike there is? Quite possibly.

It looks like it will do it all. All except get me excited. ;)

jmdonald 01-13-2011 05:13 PM

Market Research Yeah

This is one great bike and I'm no Yamaha fan.A job well done by the Yamaha team.You are right however when compared to its sibling what bike would you pick?

The_AirHawk 01-13-2011 05:18 PM

Good article, but for one little peeve of mine:

Quote:

In short, the mission was to create a versatile and economical bike that comes closer than ever to letting riders with sporting inclinations have their cake and eat it too.
It is "EAT their cake and HAVE it too" - RAAAARGH!!

Sorry, but that one gets beneath my skin more than possibly any other mis-quote. I know-not why.

Otherwise, well-written and informative. Makes me want to trade-up my '04 FZ6. If I were willing to live with the debt, that is.

schizuki 01-13-2011 05:31 PM

Good-looking, modern styling with an edge, but not comically overdone like the Z1000. Ideal real-world displacement. Looks like a winner.

The Japanese may have finally found the styling sweet spot for standards between Bland Retro and Fanboy Manga.

Should have a hard bag option, though. A small set of aerodynamically-styled bags would blend in well on that tailsection.

Duken4evr 01-13-2011 05:44 PM

Random thoughts from the resident FZ1 nut...

Yamaha needs to bring in the Euro/Candadian model with the FZ1 like bikini fairing.

If my FZ1 is any indication, quite a bit of power resides in throwing away the entire stock exhaust system and opening up the airbox ;)

I would like to see Yam update the FZ1 with a lighter crank, 4 valve head and actually go down a bit in size on the too big 45mm throttle bodies. The FZ1 exhaust can, aside from strangling the bike, is ugly as sin. This one looks better.

Finally, dealers around here are selling leftover FZ1s for less than the MSRP on this thing. Hmmm....

Dr_Sprocket 01-13-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 254561)
Should have a hard bag option, though. A small set of aerodynamically-styled bags would blend in well on that tailsection.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one, Schizuki!

mscuddy 01-13-2011 07:44 PM

Well I like to have my cake and eat it to, or vice versa. Who cares? This is a freaking bike test, not Betty Crocker.

Nice bike, except I like bikes with lots of mass in the crankshaft, tends to make for a better powerband in my opinion (for a street bike, not a full racer).

Now about my cake....

schizuki 01-13-2011 08:14 PM

Mmmmmm... cake...