Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 BMW F800R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17344-2011-bmw-f800r-review.html)

Administrator 01-05-2011 01:54 PM

2011 BMW F800R Review

Original Article:
2011 BMW F800R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 BMW F800R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 01-05-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Ergos fall a bit short only with marginal seat-to-peg room. The standard seat sits at a modest 31.5 inches; optional-at-no-extra-charge seats bring it 1 inch in either direction. Adjustable footpegs would be a worthy addition to a multi-purpose bike like this one. Mirrors are mounted a little too low for easy rear views.
That's because you're doing it wrong - mirrors aren't to see what's behind you - they're to see what's beside (and slightly to the rear) of you! (i.e. what's in the next lane)

Couple that with a "Lifesaver" over-the-shoulder-look before switching lanes, and you'll never get smooshed by that Corvette or Caddy you didn't see filtering-up behind you in traffic.

Teh Editz:
Oh yeah, almost forgot; Nice review, F-bomb'n Cool bike! As Mr. DeWaal was pointing out: BMW is really steppin' it up in the "Wow!" department. Make 'em really want it, and they'll starve themselves to afford it.

jmdonald 01-05-2011 04:03 PM

Nice offering

Like always there are a few disappointments with these middle weight bikes.It does get the job done but there is stiff competition and it will be interesting to see how BMW develops it over time.It's a nice bike but right now the Ducati has the greater appeal.To me anyway. Good Job.

Kevin_Duke 01-05-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 254179)

Teh Editz:
Oh yeah, almost forgot; Nice review, F-bomb'n Cool bike! As Mr. DeWaal was pointing out: BMW is really steppin' it up in the "Wow!" department. Make 'em really want it, and they'll starve themselves to afford it.

Thanks, 'Hawk! Yep, BMW, Ducati and Triumph are ones to watch.

Dr_Sprocket 01-05-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 254186)
Thanks, 'Hawk! Yep, BMW, Ducati and Triumph are ones to watch.

In this genre, don't forget the new (to North America) Yamaha FZ8.

Kevin_Duke 01-05-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 254188)
In this genre, don't forget the new (to North America) Yamaha FZ8.

Which we'll ride next week...

Dr_Sprocket 01-05-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 254189)
Which we'll ride next week...

Woot!
Man, this is a GREAT time to be riding motorcycles!

Duken4evr 01-05-2011 06:11 PM

Ya baby! It is a naked party! Sounds fun :cool:

Looking forward to shootouts and more ride impressions. These bikes are the future. Good to see the manufacturers paying more attention to the details. This BMW looks very well turned out. Still waiting for the mythical crossplane FZ1 to hit the roads. That would be cool.

By the way, over on the FZ1 board, Ivan's Performance is starting in on the Ninja 1000. The Ninja is sporting a 13hp gain through the midrange and top end with just an Akra full exhaust system The current reading is 142 hp and loads of torque. It is still early in the game. The bike needs mapping with a Power Commander as the part throttle settings are off with the full exhaust in place and secondary butterflies removed (Ivan found these restrict power). Of course the Z1000 uses the same engine. Nakeds can be fun indeed!

Dr_Sprocket 01-06-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 254191)
Still waiting for the mythical crossplane FZ1 to hit the roads. That would be cool.

That would be sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 254191)
By the way, over on the FZ1 board, Ivan's Performance is starting in on the Ninja 1000. The Ninja is sporting a 13hp gain through the midrange and top end with just an Akra full exhaust system The current reading is 142 hp and loads of torque. It is still early in the game. The bike needs mapping with a Power Commander as the part throttle settings are off with the full exhaust in place and secondary butterflies removed (Ivan found these restrict power). Of course the Z1000 uses the same engine. Nakeds can be fun indeed!

It's amazing what the pros can do to improve performance, just a little tweak here and there.

Morbo the Destroyer 01-06-2011 05:19 AM

I was reading a technical journal article on the MID switch technology. Solid-state switches that cannot wear out, are impervious to weather, temperature (within reason), and ham-fisted mechanics....it's like science fiction. I hope the technology gets into more bikes and equipment than just BMW bikes!

I had not heard of the "pivoting balance arm" engine balancer before. Did BMW happen to give you any cutaway or line drawings of the engine? Maybe I can find something on Google Image; I'd like to see how that lays out.

I'm always surprised at how tiny the F series bikes are. There were 3 of them at the last rally I attended, and they just seemed too damn small. I guess I'm just too used to the hulking Vee or the old HD.