Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Kawasaki KX250F Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17317-2011-kawasaki-kx250f-review.html)

Administrator 12-30-2010 12:37 PM

2011 Kawasaki KX250F Review

Original Article:
2011 Kawasaki KX250F Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Kawasaki KX250F Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

shalbleib 01-03-2011 06:34 AM

is there a 250 comparo to come?

pplassm 01-03-2011 08:50 AM

You had to get the3 bike from Kawasaki Canada? What's with that?

Kawasaki really needs to get with the program, sound-wise. The still have the loudest MX bikes.

mscuddy 01-03-2011 02:27 PM

Yes, the KX250F makes a ton of power until that so-called "piston" that weighs about as much as a small bag of peanuts explodes and ruins the whole motor, transmission included.

When will the four stroke debacle end? It's already driven down sales to the point where '08, '09 & '10's are still sitting on the showroom floor, gathering dust.

While all those poor saps on '99 KX250's change the rings every couple of years and the bike never sees the shop again, since it's a two stroke.

Oh I'm yammering on again, sorry....

Duken4evr 01-03-2011 05:27 PM

The following is my intimate dirt bike experience:

1) Friend with '03 Yamaha WR450.

Rides the hell out of it and changes the oil every few rides and keeps his air filter clean. Bike has thousands of SoCal desert and some Colorado miles on it, still on the original rings, still has more power than he knows what to do with.

2) Friend with 06 Husky TE450.

See above :)

3) My 2002 DRZ400

My bike has 7,000 purely off road miles on it. I ride it very hard, faster than the guys on their Husky and WR :D It still has the original rings in it. Still runs good.

4) 2001 CR250.

Finally got treated to a new piston and ring set this past Fall. The old ring set was still in spec. It has proven bombproof reliable as well.

5) 1992 Yamaha WR500

Ah, my desert sled. Could not break it with a hammer. 3rd gear did finally go after 10 years of racing and 15 years of general riding in the Dez. The bike should have been dust and it looked like hell warmed over, but it just kept on running.

I have no personal experience with these 4 stroke 250s, but the bigger ones are pretty bulletproof from what I can see. I don't have the balls and/or talent to stress one of them too much I guess. I sure did not have the gumption as a rider to hurt that hairy old 500 :cool:

More meaningless drivel for the thread. Still dreaming of the KTM 350 XC

Oh ya, forgot to add - a buddy had a KTM 380 2 stroke. Rockin' cool bike. No problems with that either :)

mscuddy 01-03-2011 06:15 PM

My neighbor up the street is a pro MX racer, Rod Richardson, his son, Andrew rides an '08 KX250F. The kid is an intermediate ranked racer, and blows up the KX about every third race. The last time a valve let loose, and destroyed the whole motor. Even the transmission.

As a paradox my '87 CR500R Honda NEVER broke, period. Oh it blew a crank seal once, but it never left me stranded. I wasn't what you would call slow either. I would replace a piston every five years or so just out of guilt. My other open class bike was an '86 YZ490 with a license plate on it. Unbreakable. And fast.

These new four strokes are shrinking the sport, you can't work on them yourself, it takes half an hour to get the plug out, and they need a total rebuild at 15-30 hours, depending how hard they've been ridden, at three grand a pop.

pplassm 01-04-2011 05:51 AM

I note that fork thinking is coming full circle (again). The "spring on one side" thing was tried before. They always go back to two springs, eventually. I wonder why.

FWIW, every two stroke MXer that hits the sales floor around here is sold almost immediately. Four strokes languish for a couple of years.

Duken4evr 01-04-2011 12:18 PM

2 strokes are back baby!

I still wanna own a KTM 300XC someday. One of the new 6 speed models will suffice quite nicely :D

The big heavy 4 strokes never break. If forced to choose, I would guess the most unbreakable dirt bike powerplant on the planet is Honda's venerable XR650R :)