Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
neil52
Registered Member

Default a good bike for two people

Hi all
I am looking at getting a motor bike. and was wondering what would be best for the following

1) I don't want to spend more than $US5000 ($7,500 New zealand which is where I am). Second hand is ok (probably no choice at this price). Less is better.

2) It will often have two skinney people on it, a total weight of about 125kg (275 pounds for those that haven't joined the 20th centry yet let alone the 21st)

3) It will mainly be used for getting from the country to the city, a ride of about 1 hour, but it will obviously be used in the city when there.

4) I am getting to be an old fart so don't need so over powered widow making machine (the wife person might disagree).

5) getting the job done safely and comfortably is more important to me than looks

the website below will give you an idea of whats available here at what price

Trade Me - New Zealand Online Auctions and Classifieds

Any help appreciated.
neil52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
neil52
Registered Member

Sorry also should have mentioned while I have riden many bikes it was all a while ago so something easy is good!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil52 View Post
2) It will often have two skinney people on it,
First you need to find a bike that YOU are comfortable with and spend at least 3 months becoming "one with the bike" before you consider taking on a passenger.

Something with an engine of at least 750 CCs should keep up with the posted speed limit. Anything over 1000 CCs might be a little heavy for a "skinny person" and isn't necessary.

OTOH, if you can handle it physically, the money you are talking about would get you a good used touring bike in the US; a Concourse or a Honda ST; don't know about the market where you are.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Thanks for making the ASSumption that just-because we use a tried-and-true system of measurement that has worked (quite well, I might add!) for the last 11-odd-centuries that we are wholly ignorant of the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious metric-system. I've never even had contact with an exotic "fornie" before just this moment, let-alone able to carry a coherent thought long-enough to express it to them......

Say, how do you say "Motorcycle" in New Zealish? What part of Africa is New Zee-Land located in?

Now that the vitriolic sardonicism is out of the way........

EX500/250, SV650, ER-6N/Ninja 650, NT650/NTV650 are all good choices for beginner bikes, that you won't "outgrow". Avoid like the plague any 600cc or larger 4-cylinder Sport bike, or any Cruiser over about 800cc. Every one of those I mentioned (including the 250!) will "keep up with traffic" - even with a passenger - at the weight(s) quoted.

Take a Beginning Rider Course. Buy a good-quality helmet that FITS for both you and your passenger. Read books on riding, and practice what you read in those books (David Hough and Lee Parks are just two authors).

Ride Safe, be Happy.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 12-29-2010 at 05:21 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
CookinBeans
Registered Member

A mid-70's to late 80's BMW would have the best ergonomics around, and they go forever with basic maintenance. There are a lot *well... a fair number anyway) in your country from what I've read.

Same for a Moto Guzzi to around the late 90's.

Any Honda ST1100's or 1200's around?

Triumph Bonneville.

Kawasaki W650! Brillaint bike (but it needs a sheepskin- I hear those are available there, though). Better than the Bonnie, too.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinBeans View Post
Triumph Bonneville.

Kawasaki W650! Brillaint bike (but it needs a sheepskin- I hear those are available there, though). Better than the Bonnie, too.
Excellent choices!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
neil52
Registered Member

[/quote]
Kawasaki W650! Brillaint bike (but it needs a sheepskin- I hear those are available there, though). [/quote]

Down here we consider it a bit rude using someone’s girlfriend as a seat cover, at least after she's dead anyway, hell it could be someones wife!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
neil52
Registered Member

Thanks AirHawk for the advice, i hadn't thought of the 'out growing' thing and 650cc is what I had in mind. The Beginning Rider Course is a good idea too. Better to find out what I'm doing wrong in a safe place before I find out in a bad one ie under a truck.

However as the imperial system has worked for the last '11-odd-centuries' shouldn't you be recomending a Shetland Pony or Clydesdale. After all they've been good enough for many many millennium?

i'll let you know how the year 2011 looks this evening. After all we see it first coz we're so far ahead
Old 12-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

A lot of riders in Austrialia and New Zealand like the VStrom 650. They're very versatile bikes, do great on unimproved roads, and can carry two comfortably. Plus there's a million accessories for them.

There's a "Kiwi" sub-forum and lots of info on the VStroms here:

www.stromtrooper.com.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote