Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

A solid list from any perspective. Leading with the Aprillia was a bit of surprise; the rest were pretty much the newsmakers for the year. It's curious you'd include a bike that "the public" hasn't ridden yet (MV Augusta F3) but I guess that's the nature of the business.

Triumph's new Tigers are generating a lot of excitement on the ADV sites I visit. They're going to do well with that line; people have placed deposits. But, no Super Ten? How did that bike miss the list?

It's interesting that the BMW S1000RR is now "old news."
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
A solid list from any perspective. Leading with the Aprillia was a bit of surprise; the rest were pretty much the newsmakers for the year. It's curious you'd include a bike that "the public" hasn't ridden yet (MV Augusta F3) but I guess that's the nature of the business.

Triumph's new Tigers are generating a lot of excitement on the ADV sites I visit. They're going to do well with that line; people have placed deposits. But, no Super Ten? How did that bike miss the list?

It's interesting that the BMW S1000RR is now "old news."
Glad you mostly liked the list, Morbo. Aprilia was at the top of the list because it begins with the letter A. And most of the list actually contains bikes the public hasn't yet ridden.

The idea of the article was to compile selections of the most interesting or potentially influential new models, so the S1000RR has to make do with only being our Motorcycle of the Year, poor thing.

The Super-Ten just missed a spot on our top 10 because our ride on it revealed it doesn't significantly advance the state of the art, although it did make the article's honorable-mention list at the bottom. BMW's 1200GS was the clear target, but Yamaha built a machine that isn't clearly a GS beater. When price is factored in, the Tenere might beat the GS in a comparo, but we'll have to ride them back to back to prove that.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #13
TerryWellsworth
Registered Member
 
TerryWellsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Wahhhh...........Really these bikes are looking very stylish and beautiful.

Thanks for sharing
__________________
Harley Helmets
TerryWellsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,875
Default

Fail.

KTM 350 SX-F
__________________
Mongo just pawn in game of life.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Fail.

KTM 350 SX-F
Blinded by the roost...

Would've been a good addition to the list - agreed.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

KD,

Good article!

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Staff! You've done well this year.

Now if VerticalScope would only fix the site machinery...
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

The CB1000R looks interesting, I wish they'd have had one at the IMS in Seattle. Ditto the K1600's and Triumph 800's. Personally I'd have added the Super Ten on GP because it's a concerted effort by Yamaha to go after the 1200GS-Tiger-Multistrada-Stelvio-KTM-Vee & Wee Strom market. It may not be a ground breaker per se` but it's going to be a significant player in the Adventure Bike market in future. Next I'm guessing Honda will show up with a new and improved Trans Alp....
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
Duken4evr
Founding Member
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Blinded by the roost...

Would've been a good addition to the list - agreed.
Can't wait to read about the new KTM 350 in it's enduro flavor. It may be the best bike I have not yet read about.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
KD,

Good article!

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Staff! You've done well this year.

Now if VerticalScope would only fix the site machinery...
Thanks, Push. Nothing imminent, but there is a forum redo in the works.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The CB1000R looks interesting, I wish they'd have had one at the IMS in Seattle. Ditto the K1600's and Triumph 800's. Personally I'd have added the Super Ten on GP because it's a concerted effort by Yamaha to go after the 1200GS-Tiger-Multistrada-Stelvio-KTM-Vee & Wee Strom market. It may not be a ground breaker per se` but it's going to be a significant player in the Adventure Bike market in future. Next I'm guessing Honda will show up with a new and improved Trans Alp....
Even though I haven't yet ridden Tigger, I predict excellent sales for Triumph, not just at first, but also later once word spreads. I've talked to a few journalists I respect who have already ridden it, and it's good.

Trans Alp? Did you see the Crossrunner?
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off