Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Honda CBR250R (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/17248-2011-honda-cbr250r.html)

Administrator 12-17-2010 01:22 PM

2011 Honda CBR250R

Original Article:
2011 Honda CBR250R

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Honda CBR250R in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Overload 12-17-2010 05:05 PM

Great review.
Even though I don't need another bike, this is at the top of the list. This bike satisfies all the criteria to be a real 'go anywhere' bike. Not meaning off road, but being able to venture out of town and spend time on the interstate and go long distances.
I'm glad I waited and didn't buy the TU-250, which I liked, but didn't like highway speeds. The TU is more of an around town bike.

Dr_Sprocket 12-17-2010 07:03 PM

Great review, Jeff!

Seeing you on the bike, I now realize that there is no way I could ever ride this bike reasonably. Nevertheless, I appreciate the contribution from Honda. It's about time!

rfox 12-17-2010 07:43 PM

Good intro

The Honda entry into the Stateside 250 class whets the appetite, but we think there is still some work to be done. Although my blood runs Yamaha Blue, my daughter's first ride is a 2009 Ninja, in Thunder Blue, of course, but we both think the Honda needs some styling upgrades. The exhaust seems over-sized, and the mirrors look like they're on stilts! Of course I can't see past my elbows on the Ninja, so I understand, but I am also not allowed to ride her bike after setting the suspension for her frame, which is significantly less than half my 240lbs. We ride some dirt roads to get "from here to there" so the ABS is certainly intriguing. I also be interested to know how the seat feels after a day of riding...the new Ninja padding is a little thin, even for her 5'2''/100 lb stature. Too bad Honda went with the higher seat height. If we had not been able to get such a good deal on an '09, the 28'' of the earlier models would have saved some modifications. Is the steering geometry really beginner friendly? We will be interested to learn more...

Jeff Cobb 12-17-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfox (Post 253435)
The Honda entry into the Stateside 250 class whets the appetite, but we think there is still some work to be done. Although my blood runs Yamaha Blue, my daughter's first ride is a 2009 Ninja, in Thunder Blue, of course, but we both think the Honda needs some styling upgrades. The exhaust seems over-sized, and the mirrors look like they're on stilts! Of course I can't see past my elbows on the Ninja, so I understand, but I am also not allowed to ride her bike after setting the suspension for her frame, which is significantly less than half my 240lbs.

Thanks rfox. We've been beating the band for a while now for the other OEMs to jump into the fray. The only motorcycle titled in my name is a Yamaha blue '98 R1, so I'm sympathetic, although I'll admit to being a Suzuki guy most of my life.

As it is, these are the two Japanese brands remaining that offer no 250 sportbikes in the U.S.

Yamaha's WR250s are more powerful. No doubt about that. But unless you want an expensive motard, you're right: more work to be done.

The CBR could stand a lightweight, free-flowing exhaust, ECU mods, cams, not sure what else. One Honda guy who ushered us on the ride was saying the CBR250R could probably make an easy extra 20% more hp.

We're right with you on these assessments. In the mean time, your daughter is on a good bike. Make sure she has the best tires available, good safety gear, and training ...

... As for seating comfort, even though I was a bit big and heavy, I had no problems after five hours, and could have easily made it eight. Geometry is newbie friendly. The whole bike is newbie friendly. Honda sacrificed top speed on a bike called CBR to make it newbie friendly.

This is as entry level as it comes. New riders who grew up with ABS in cars don't even have to do without on this score either. This is a $4499 bike with perfectly functional ABS.

Beats the heck out of my '75 Yamaha RD200 that I started on!

Jeff Cobb 12-17-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 253433)
Great review, Jeff!

Seeing you on the bike, I now realize that there is no way I could ever ride this bike reasonably. Nevertheless, I appreciate the contribution from Honda. It's about time!

Thanks Doc. Agreed. The new CBR is a bit small, but let's get new riders on suitable bikes.

Jeff Cobb 12-17-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overload (Post 253429)
Great review.
Even though I don't need another bike, this is at the top of the list. This bike satisfies all the criteria to be a real 'go anywhere' bike. Not meaning off road, but being able to venture out of town and spend time on the interstate and go long distances.
I'm glad I waited and didn't buy the TU-250, which I liked, but didn't like highway speeds. The TU is more of an around town bike.

Thanks Overload. FYI, Honda's press people were on 2011 CBR600RRs. One of them does 1:19 at the Willow Springs big track (not sure on what kind of bike). That's way fast. He was saying the 600 was too stiff in the tight canyons where the extra power is of not much value, and he could have been as fast on the lighter, softly sprung 250. For a lot of people, the 250 is enough. It's a matter of using what you have to best advantage.

schizuki 12-18-2010 06:55 AM

I've read the article but have no questions that spring to mind or interesting observations to share.

The_AirHawk 12-18-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 253433)
Great review, Jeff!

No Golf-course is Safe! Ha-Hah!

Duken4evr 12-18-2010 10:59 AM

Thanks for the review. The little Ninja and this Honda may just save motorcycling in the US. OK, that is probably an overstatement, but we need solid inexpensive starter bikes that are built well for the younger crowd to learn on. Dirt bikes are the best way, but unless there is a track nearby, off roading opportunities are generally getting more limited. Well unless you live where I do :cool:

Speaking of off road, sometimes I ride my kid's CRF100 around the neighborhood. My FZ1 makes more power at idle than the little CRF makes at peak RPM, but there is something enjoyable about riding a bike that is not capable of sending it's rider jail without ever leaving 1st gear.

One of these with the same basic engine design displacing 450cc and making upper 40s horsepower (with "off road only" tweaking potential to the mid 50s via a pipe and power Commander) that costs about 6.5K with decent suspension would be so damn cool. What a track day toy and general purpose canyon road hoot that could be.

As things stand now, a clean used SV650 is a good bet for that duty. Those bike simply rock. The Ninja 250 twin now has a worthy single cylinder competitor. Perhaps the SV twin needs one too :)