Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyclyc View Post
hi, i'm looking forward to the shoot up with kawasaki ninja 250R.

would you guys please do a drag race compare the acceleration of CBR250 vs 250R?

from my understanding from reading the articles, honda would win in the initial run due to more torque? while kawasaki will win in the top speed. And also what about midrange acceleration?
I'd estimate the CBR would win a race to 30 mph, but the Ninja would take over after that. The Kawi is pretty weak down low, but the Honda will be relatively wheezy up top. Should be an interesting shootout!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
Overload
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The CBR250 is all cool and stuff - but this begs the question as to WHY Honda didn't just update the current VTR250 chassis and running-gear already sold (or at least recently sold) in Australia, Japan, and a few other select markets?

They updated the Dullsville's lump; an engine-design that's about a Decade older than the VTR mill - so it's not like they're opposed to making something old "new again".
My GUESSES would be: emissions, noise, engine characteristics.

The first two have been driving motorcycle development for the past decade or more. The third is the old HP vs Toruque debate.
I've seen (and HEARD!) a Honda RC-166 run. Amazing engine, but not good for 10,000 miles or more, which is expected in a modern motorcycle. Might the VTR not be ideal for a new bike? I'm sure Honda looked at it.
Heck, it might have been a size/shape reason.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #23
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
Amazing engine, but not good for 10,000 miles or more, which is expected in a modern motorcycle.
Did you mean 10K or 100K? I'd be pretty annoyed if Ionly got 10,000 miles out of a new bike. Unless I bought a Ducati.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Did you mean 10K or 100K? I'd be pretty annoyed if Ionly got 10,000 miles out of a new bike. Unless I bought a Ducati.
I couldn't agree with you more on this one, especially since I have roughly 20,000 miles on mine already.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
RC166 was a "works" race bike - I sincerly doubt you could even get a thousand miles out of one without a rebuild (or three), let-alone 10,000. I took his point as that something high-strung isn't going to last even 10,000 miles, let-alone the many-times that expected of a typical moto-engine (although the majority of Japanese bikes will, unfortunately, never reach enough miles to "wear out" and instead merely die from neglect and disuse).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Japanese sport bikes are like Tootsie Pops. How many licks (miles) will they last? Crunch. The world may never know! That statement in fairly poor taste said, a Ninja 750 I once owned for 10 years had 75K miles on it and was running like new when I sold it. I have no doubt my current FZ1 will easily do 100K miles. The challenge is finding all that time to ride it!

This new mini CBR looks well put together and understressed, and it is a Honda. The thing will run forever. I would not be shocked if it could run 100K miles. The difficulty there is finding someone to ride it that long. Bikes tend to get rougher treatment as they are handed down from owner to owner.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
...(although the majority of Japanese bikes will, unfortunately, never reach enough miles to "wear out" and instead merely die from neglect and disuse).
Ain't that the truth!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #28
cloud9
Registered Member

It is rather amazing that motorcycles have been around for so long yet it's hard to come to a consensus as to how long the engine will last due to them either collecting dust in a shed or being scrapped in a wreck.

That's comforting in a way cause an owner can worry less about rebuilding/replacing an engine and more on riding it and keeping it in one piece.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post

That's comforting in a way cause an owner can worry less about rebuilding/replacing an engine and more on riding it and keeping it in one piece.
You're right. There's many guys on Stromtrooper.com with over 50K miles on their bikes with nothing more than basic maintenace. I met a guy at a rally with 65K on his (Iron Butt rider) and there's a few people with over 100k.

OTOH, my vintage Yamaha has the original factory tires!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

I know guys with 50k miles on Ninja 250s.