Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I have to wonder if multimillion rider contracts might have restrictions on what they ride and in what series. And I imagine Dorna's lawyers might want to get into this. IMO, if a 2011 event does actually happen, it will consist of a bunch of hot-rodded superbikes. It's highly unlikely anyone could develop a machine with a bespoke chassis and engine in time. The really cool and innovative stuff would only be seen if this series became an annual event.

I love this idea, and I really hope it can be pulled off. But I remain skeptical it can be done at all, never mind in 2011. If it happens, I'll be there!
You're certainly right about the contract issue for the GP and SBK riders. They can't get laid without clearing it with their owners.

Somewhere out there is the next Buell, Czysz or Britten. Toss out the rule book and throw a million dollar purse on the table and see what happens.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Are we taking notes? Duh - we wrote the article! We're interested!
I meant note of how many new members this is attracting.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

MO is the only venue reporting this, so far. Hope it happens!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
acecycleins
Founding Member

My take: 10 races. Divided by two rounds as support races for 5 series. Those series GP, WSBK, AMA, Austrailian SBK, Canadian Superbike. GP can do 1 Qatar and a Japan round, WSBK can do 1 England and Spain or Italy round, AMA can nego Barber and a TBN round, Aus can do Phillip Island and a TBN, Canada I don't know the tracks but I'm sure they can figure it out.
If your racing on contract in your Home races for your sanctioned body you cannot participate in the Clash. So, Factory riders in the AMA cannot race the AMA rounds and so on. BUT private racers (Like the Boz Bros) can race. So, that way stars can race but Factory guys have to attend to their bikes for the weekend. Ex. Rossi could race a duc on a GP off week if allowed by his bosses.
I would make the focus like a moto version of an IROC race. That way there's no need to keep championship points. It's just an all out race for the cash. Then it wouldn't matter who got to race and didn't. Could you imagine Latus Motorsports prepping a supercharged duc 1198s and letting Rossi race it in an AMA round of the Clash? Or seeing Larry Pegram race a prepped BMW turbo in a Miller Clash round or Canadian round. Madness!! But the thought is pretty cool.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
pplassm
Founding Member

Hmmmm. Originally published April 1, 2009. Sure it's not a hoax?

Soup :: What Is World Moto Clash? :: 04-01-2009
Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Hmmmm. Originally published April 1, 2009. Sure it's not a hoax?

Soup :: What Is World Moto Clash? :: 04-01-2009
I knew about that story from April 1. It's not a hoax. Stanford had two investors and was ready to go in March 2009. My story reflects this.

One was a hedge fund -- they tanked or had a run on money or something as the market was doing really bad -- so they pulled their offer to WMC. Other was an investment banker, and he was trying to get his own deal going by leveraging off of the WMC thing, and then not sure the details, but he withdrew.

This time, Stanford says the WMC will happen. He has new investors, and other mechanisms in place. I asked if he was 100% sure? He said given how things happened before, he won't say 100% "until the check clears" but he did say 90% sure, and is overall confident, saying he has more than one means of making it happen.

His insurance and network deals are in place. He is being contacted by the best riders in the world (and I mean the top, including MotoGP best know who he is). ...

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 12-20-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
My take: 10 races. Divided by two rounds as support races for 5 series. Those series GP, WSBK, AMA, Austrailian SBK, Canadian Superbike. GP can do 1 Qatar and a Japan round, WSBK can do 1 England and Spain or Italy round, AMA can nego Barber and a TBN round, Aus can do Phillip Island and a TBN, Canada I don't know the tracks but I'm sure they can figure it out.
If your racing on contract in your Home races for your sanctioned body you cannot participate in the Clash. So, Factory riders in the AMA cannot race the AMA rounds and so on. BUT private racers (Like the Boz Bros) can race. So, that way stars can race but Factory guys have to attend to their bikes for the weekend. Ex. Rossi could race a duc on a GP off week if allowed by his bosses.
I would make the focus like a moto version of an IROC race. That way there's no need to keep championship points. It's just an all out race for the cash. Then it wouldn't matter who got to race and didn't. Could you imagine Latus Motorsports prepping a supercharged duc 1198s and letting Rossi race it in an AMA round of the Clash? Or seeing Larry Pegram race a prepped BMW turbo in a Miller Clash round or Canadian round. Madness!! But the thought is pretty cool.

Nice idea Ace. Stanford says the WMC will be like putting on a Superbowl. He's not wanting to do 10 a season. At least not at this juncture.

It would be great if he could. But creating the publicity, and the many millions necessary for one of these limits them.

I think also, since he's attracting a non-rider audience along with the enthusiasts with his 3D presentation, if he did it too much, the non-committed might get bored after a while because they were never into it in the first place. It was just a fad for them.

Just like some people watched NASCAR for a while, then stopped. Packaging this product has to be done carefully.

... (although I'll add that NASCAR also created many new fans, and WMC intends to in like manner, so we shall see ... )

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 12-20-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member

If they do this as a 1 race event then it needs to rotate venues and be raced late in the season. I would run it like an endurance 4 hr if it were my event. With one rider change at the 2hr mark. Other than that the fundimentals I like, but a 1 hr race wo't cut it for that type of investment.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I remember the last time I raced a four hour with one hour stints, tough!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
MOKE1K
Registered Member

This will be the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. Just think of the possibilities if Rossi and Joe blow were dicing it out. Hugh implications!