Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Wow, interesting post there Mr. Cobb. By the way, the Tech article is one of the best I've seen, here or elsewhere. Very comprehensive. Those forked rockers are the schnitz; I wonder why nobody thought of that before?

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these gems at Riva in the months to come. I might park the Empulse idea (when, oh when?) and spend 1/2 as much for a 250!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Wow, interesting post there Mr. Cobb. By the way, the Tech article is one of the best I've seen, here or elsewhere. Very comprehensive. Those forked rockers are the schnitz; I wonder why nobody thought of that before?

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these gems at Riva in the months to come. I might park the Empulse idea (when, oh when?) and spend 1/2 as much for a 250!
Thanks Morbo. Do you mean Riva in Pompano Beach?

Yes, Soichiro may be gone, but they still employ some bright people.

If we're really fortunate, some hotrod parts will come out soon enough for the new CBR. Although it'll never be what the RR was (or 67 hp, 2-stroke Suzuki RGV250 Gamma(!), the price is appealing ...

I'm sure Brammo will be disappointed if you change your mind. I'll be riding a CBR250R in a couple days and let ya'll know a little bit more about it.

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 12-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Right, Riva Motorsports in Pompano. I go by pretty often to get odds and ends for the Suzuki and check out the bikes. They have all the Japanese makes and get the new models pretty quickly. Too bad they don't do demo rides...

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Forked rockers have been around for ages, often with screws and locknuts on the tips. Two issues with the old ones - 1) The screws and locknuts move up and down with the valve and are heavy and 2) If they are not set identically it puts a twisting load on the rocker. These are a new lighter and better spin on the old design.

I think it is a no brainer hotcams will make a set for this. They make cams for ATVs for crying out loud. Seems to me this engine set up right could make around 30hp with a nice midrange, which would be entertaining in this small bike.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Overload
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
That needs to be qualified. The CBR will have less peak horsepower than the Kaw, yes, which is to be expected from an engine with half the cylinders. But it will - rpm per rpm - deliver more hp and torque until 8000-plus revs, and probably more peak torque. Bet on EFI for the 2012 Ninja.
Can't believe I forgot the Ninja 250 was a twin. I guess I assumed it was half the engine of the EX500, not a smaller parallel twin.

It's putting out the same HP as the Buell Blast single at half the size. Would it be fair to assume the bigger engine in the Blast makes more Torque?
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
Can't believe I forgot the Ninja 250 was a twin. I guess I assumed it was half the engine of the EX500, not a smaller parallel twin.

It's putting out the same HP as the Buell Blast single at half the size. Would it be fair to assume the bigger engine in the Blast makes more Torque?
Yep, a bigger engine, especially one twice the displacement, will definitely put out more torque.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote