Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Victory Cross Roads Review

Original Article:
2011 Victory Cross Roads Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Victory Cross Roads Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Duken4evr
Founding Member

How would you compare the Kawasaki's engine power and character to the Vic? Seems on paper anyway that the Vic fairly buries the Kawi.

Nice bike. I like the simple and easily removed windshield vs. the Batwing fairing. This would probably be my choice in a bagger. Give me another 10 years though.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
How would you compare the Kawasaki's engine power and character to the Vic? Seems on paper anyway that the Vic fairly buries the Kawi.
I'd say the Vic motor outmuscles the Kawi, not "buries." The Vic is a bit more brawny but isn't as smooth as the Kaw.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Thanks Kevin!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Thanks Kevin!
That said, for a liquid-cooled, SOHC motor, the V17 lump should deliver a bit more beans, but it does at least deliver more than an H-D.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Duken4evr
Founding Member

On the plus side, not that the powerplant in the Vic is in anyway not extremely durable (per a MC tech I know, the Vics are very troublefree) I imagine the understressed low revving water cooled engine in the Kawi will last until the end of time...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
it does at least deliver more than an H-D.
What doesn't?
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
SquireJim
Founding Member

Default Vic vs HD vs Kawi???

So, let me begin by saying that I WANTED to buy a Vic Cross Country, but I bought a Harley Road Glide Custom instead...And before I get rebuffed by all the stats about Vic out-whatevering HD on everything, let me tell you what drove me to buy the Harley, and what NONE of the online or print mags address:

1) Dealer support...The nearest Vic dealer to me (I live in Palm Beach, FL...hardly the middle-of-nowhere), is almost 60 miles away, and the one after that, another hundred or so...Harley dealers are ubiquitous! You can't drive 45 minutes down an interstate in the South without seeing another ad for an HD dealer.

2) Aftermarket support is easily the best in the biz...Better than any auto aftermarket support as well.

3) Resale...What's a 5-6 year old Vic or Kawi gonna get you? Barely enough for a few pieces of Harley chrome.

The motorcycle press acts like the only reasons we buy a cruiser are horsepower, torque, and how much crap you can fit in the bags. I'd LOVE to see a "Cruiser Compro" with some of the "real-world" issues I've mentioned...I'm just sayin'...

SquireJim
Palm Beach, FL

Last edited by SquireJim : 12-16-2010 at 08:51 AM.
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireJim View Post
So, let me begin by saying that I WANTED to buy a Vic Cross Country, but I bought a Harley Road Glide Custom instead...And before I get rebuffed by all the stats about Vic out-whatevering HD on everything, let me tell you what drove me to buy the Harley, and what NONE of the online or print mags address:

1) Dealer support...The nearest Vic dealer to me (I live in Palm Beach, FL...hardly the middle-of-nowhere), is almost 60 miles away, and the one after that, another hundred or so...Harley dealers are ubiquitous! You can't drive 45 minutes down an interstate in the South without seeing another ad for an HD dealer.

2) Aftermarket support is easily the best in the biz...Better than any auto aftermarket support as well.

3) Resale...What's a 5-6 year old Vic or Kawi gonna get you? Barely enough for a few pieces of Harley chrome.

The motorcycle press acts like the only reasons we buy a cruiser are horsepower, torque, and how much crap you can fit in the bags. I'd LOVE to see a "Cruiser Compro" with some of the "real-world" issues I've mentioned...I'm just sayin'...

SquireJim
Palm Beach, FL
Those are good points, Jim. However, they've all been made over the years on these pages, even if not in this particular one.

Point #3 needs clarification. I just looked up 5-yr-old bikes, a Fat Boy and a Kingpin. KBB says the Harley is worth $13,605, the Victory $10,495. Not exactly apples to apples, but proof at least that you could at least buy a few chrome pieces for the retails on an old Vic!

Also, to many riders, comparing power and luggage capacity are real-world issues.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
SquireJim
Founding Member

Default Cruiser Compro Reply

Kevin...
I hear ya bro', but do you really think a Fat Boy and a Kingpin are the right comparison? I mean the Kingpin was more like the Road King...When you google Victory Kingpin and Harley, that's what you end up with. And a 2005 Kingpin Premium (2005 Victory Kingpin Premium Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book) is on KBB at $9395, while a 2005 Road King Classic (2005 Harley-Davidson FLHRCI Road King Classic Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book) is $13365...Now, I don't know how n
Deep,your pockets are, but FOUR GRAND IS FOUR GRAND!!!

And I'm not saying that power and luggage capacity aren't important... I'm just saying that there's more to WHY we buy a ride than power and luggage...There are x-factors that don't turn up in the average review, but ought to. Those factors are what spelled the difference to me.
I'm just sayin'...

Jim

Last edited by SquireJim : 12-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote