Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireJim View Post
Kevin...
I hear ya bro', but do you really think a Fat Boy and a Kingpin are the right comparison? I mean the Kingpin was more like the Road King...When you google Victory Kingpin and Harley, that's what you end up with. And a 2005 Kingpin Premium (2005 Victory Kingpin Premium Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book) is on KBB at $9395, while a 2005 Road King Classic (2005 Harley-Davidson FLHRCI Road King Classic Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book) is $13365...Now, I don't know how n
Deep,your pockets are, but FOUR GRAND IS FOUR GRAND!!!

And I'm not saying that power and luggage capacity aren't important... I'm just saying that there's more to WHY we buy a ride than power and luggage...There are x-factors that don't turn up in the average review, but ought to. Those factors are what spelled the difference to me.
I'm just sayin'...

Jim
And I'm definitely not trying to knock your choice in bikes - I dig Harleys. But if "four grand is four grand," then a 5-yr-old Vic, at $9395, is still worth a decent amount of money, not just a couple of pieces of chrome.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Don't be a "square"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
And I'm definitely not trying to knock your choice in bikes - I dig Harleys. But if "four grand is four grand," then a 5-yr-old Vic, at $9395, is still worth a decent amount of money, not just a couple of pieces of chrome.
Danger, this reply is not directed at you, as much as the person to whom you replied as above.

According to an old motorcycle review article, the 2005 Victory Kingpin Deluxe MSRP was $15,200. The MSRP for the H-D Road King Classic was $17,345. Total difference was $2,145, lessening the price difference between the two.

In 2005, the Harley-Davidson craze was at its peak. People were waiting for over a year to get their bikes, often having to take whatever color that was delivered. Here in Delaware, it was common for riders to pay $1000 over sticker price. So, now that's $3,145... and the Victory rider was able to enjoy their bike a whole year earlier. Perhaps the price difference isn't quite as great?

Lastly, go try to sell your Harley now. Try to get $12,000 for it. There are countless bikes in our local paper that sit there, unsold, every week. Nobody is buying $12,000 5-year-old used bikes over here. (Not sure about your area.)
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #13
SquireJim
Founding Member

Kevin...agree completely. As I said, if there were more Vic dealers, or one nearer to me, I would be ridin' a CC now...

Jim
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireJim View Post
Kevin...agree completely. As I said, if there were more Vic dealers, or one nearer to me, I would be ridin' a CC now...

Jim
Cool! Point taken. Living in SoCal, I sometimes forget that civilization isn't as deep elsewhere!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
According to an old motorcycle review article, the 2005 Victory Kingpin Deluxe MSRP was $15,200. The MSRP for the H-D Road King Classic was $17,345. Total difference was $2,145, lessening the price difference between the two.
Correct, but the real issue is that Victory and Harley never had models that directly compared until 2010 when the Cross bikes came out. The Kingpin doesn't really compare to either a Fat Boy or a Road King.

Additionally, up until recently you would pay full MSRP for HDs and the Victory could be had for $1500 under MSRP all day long.

Quote:
In 2005, the Harley-Davidson craze was at its peak. People were waiting for over a year to get their bikes, often having to take whatever color that was delivered.
I think that was pretty much over by 2002 (except at Mike Famous where they still gouge you).

Quote:
Lastly, go try to sell your Harley now. Try to get $12,000 for it. There are countless bikes in our local paper that sit there, unsold, every week.
My friend bought the HD Ultra Classic, thinking that he would trade it every year and get a new one for only a couple of grand. After the year was up he went to trade and the dealer offered him $16K... the new one was $23K... Needless to say he still has the first Ultra. Resale value is 1) CAN I sell it, and 2) Will I actually get what the books say it's worth. The economy being what it is you can't count on either. Motorcycles are a crappy investment. Someone looking for an investment should buy bonds.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Resale value is 1) CAN I sell it, and 2) Will I actually get what the books say it's worth. The economy being what it is you can't count on either. Motorcycles are a crappy investment. Someone looking for an investment should buy bonds.
Couldn't agree with you more. There are many other better investments that motorcycles. I hear real estate is going to be hopping this next year.