Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
TerryWellsworth
Registered Member

Default What to check for in a DOT helmet?

Hi friend,
Given below are some important points that one should give attention while purchasing DOT helmet.
1. The inner liner of the helmet is thick. The lining foam is about 1 inch thick. If you can't see the lining, you should be able to feel it.
2. A sturdy chin strap with solid rivets.
3. The helmet weight should weigh approximately 3 pounds as opposed to only one pound or less.
4. DOT safety standards do not allow anything to extend 2/10 of an inch from the helmets surface. This includes spikes and other decorations.
5. DOT sticker must be on the outside back of the helmets with the letters "DOT".

Thanks
Terry Wellsworth

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

1) An inch of foam is a very rough measurement. "None" is what you really want to avoid.

2) I can't tell how the strap in my ARAI is attached. However, it is very sturdy, and has rather beefy hardware. And a nifty snap to hold the tail whilst I am riding.

3) "2/10ths?" Hmmm. The vents on my hat are easily a quarter-inch. Maybe they are a 'breakaway' design...

4) Add, "The DOT sticker should not be purchased at the table where all the other helmet stickers are found, and then stuck on the back of the hat."

Otherwise, a fair assessment of DOT helmet criteria.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryWellsworth View Post
Hi friend,
Given below are some important points that one should give attention while purchasing DOT helmet.
1. The inner liner of the helmet is thick. The lining foam is about 1 inch thick. If you can't see the lining, you should be able to feel it.
2. A sturdy chin strap with solid rivets.
3. The helmet weight should weigh approximately 3 pounds as opposed to only one pound or less.
4. DOT safety standards do not allow anything to extend 2/10 of an inch from the helmets surface. This includes spikes and other decorations.
5. DOT sticker must be on the outside back of the helmets with the letters "DOT".

Thanks
Terry Wellsworth

Or you could see if it's listed by the MIC's HelmetCheck.org.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I think the MOST important thing is to ensure you have your $5.99 "DOT" sticker prominently placed at the back of your plastic Nazi Stormtrooper salad-bowl helmet, above all-else. Just so The Man don't hassle you none.

Полет на флете!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you own a DOT helmet you have met your objective. So, it's not the DOT sticker that you should worry about. It's the fit. The Vega brand of helmets fit your entire desription, but for me they are not comfortable. I prefer HJC helmets becasue of fit. Since I don't roll on an Arai budget, I find the construction of HJC band to meet the $$$/comfort ratio.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Agreed fit is what will really save you!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Sachin
Registered Member

Thumbs up What to check for in a DOT helmet?

The DOT in terms of motorcycle helmets refers to the Department of Transportation. It mandates that all the motorcycle helmets should be tested for safety issues. The DOT performs its own in-house testing on the helmets and then labels only those helmets that meet its standards. If at all you are thinking of purchasing a motorcycle helmet and you don't see a DOT approval label on it, it's better that you think again whether to buy it or not.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Chongyoung
Registered Member

Hey thanks for this information i never knew about this in future if any one of my friend or family is interested to buy DOT helmet i will surely suggest all this important points ,thank you very much.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
Shipping
Registered Member

By the way...is there a law which says that "You should wear a helmet when you ride your bike" ????
Shipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

DOT hasn't tested helmets in a decade or better in reality. They set a tolerance level to adhere by and the manufacturers are suppose to comply. So, don't believe everything you read about testing.
As for @Shipping- please ask better questions. Not all states have helmet laws. Easily researched.