Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

A few things stand out in the cutaway photo.

1) The O2 sensor is right there at the exhaust port. This is good - it should give a more accurate reading than the typical location which is down by the collector.

2) Looks like a counterbalancer is present.

3) The valve angle is very modern and narrow, but the intake looks quite "side draft" instead of "straight shot" setup. Probably due to packaging issues with the airbox and gas tank.

4) The finger rockers look similar to what my old Ninja 750 had years ago. Loved that bike's setup. It had screw adjusters on the back side. This setup made sense as the light fingers actuated the cams and the heavier "back end" pivoting on the shaft barely moves at all in comparison. That bike had 75K miles on the clock when I sold it and it held it's valve clearances very well. Dunno what the adjustment method is on this, but if it involves not removing cams and shims, well that is a good thing for this type of bike especially.

It looks like a well designed engine that will run hard for a long time. Darn it, make this a 450 though. Sound of singles anyone? Hehe. I always want every single to be a 450!

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Dunno what the adjustment method is on this, but if it involves not removing cams and shims, well that is a good thing for this type of bike especially.
It uses shims, but the cams apparently don't have to be removed.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Ah ha. I forget what bike it was, but I recall a system like this where the finger rockers have springs to hold them in place and to access the shims, you simply slide them out of the way. Even better than screws, or buckets for that matter - less weight moving around at high rpm.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
shalbleib
Founding Member

mpg? weight? important missing info from a bike of this nature.

it looks better than other 250's and IMO would be much more enjoyable than a scooter. not a bad price either. looks like fun!
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalbleib View Post
mpg? weight? important missing info from a bike of this nature.

it looks better than other 250's and IMO would be much more enjoyable than a scooter. not a bad price either. looks like fun!
It's a little difficult to get actual mpg numbers from a racetrack intro, but American Honda guesses it should get around 60 mpg. At 359 lbs with its 3.4-gallon tank full, it's 16 lbs lighter than a Ninja 250.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote