Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Yamaha WR250R Review

Original Article:
2011 Yamaha WR250R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Yamaha WR250R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Great test there Jeff, but....298 LBS? For a 250? That's close to THREE HUNDRED FREEKING POUNDS!

My '83 XL600S weighed 300 lbs. But it had a six hundred cee cee mill under it.

No wonder you had a bad time in the sandy whoops. Did you go up the ant hill, also known as "crash hill"? Ah, El Mirage...

See, in the old days you could get the weight off a dual sport by changing the fenders, tank, pipe, and get rid of anything that didn't make the bike street legal. But now, jeez, 300 lbs for a 250...that's gastly.

Maybe Yamaha has a truss in the tool kit. Oh well...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Great test there Jeff, but....298 LBS? For a 250? That's close to THREE HUNDRED FREEKING POUNDS!

My '83 XL600S weighed 300 lbs. But it had a six hundred cee cee mill under it.

No wonder you had a bad time in the sandy whoops. Did you go up the ant hill, also known as "crash hill"? Ah, El Mirage...

See, in the old days you could get the weight off a dual sport by changing the fenders, tank, pipe, and get rid of anything that didn't make the bike street legal. But now, jeez, 300 lbs for a 250...that's gastly.

Maybe Yamaha has a truss in the tool kit. Oh well...
Thanks Matt.

Nope, didn't make it to the Ant hill. Some dude was chasing us in a black helicopter 40 feet off the deck of the surreal dry lake bed with his lady in the passenger's seat, though. That was trippy at 80 mph.

The KTM weighs 260 lbs. I wonder if you could take the 2011 WR250F and make it street legal in any of these here United States? (Not necessarily California). It already has a headlight, along with higher compression engine, longer travel suspension, and it weighs 256 lbs with stock exhaust ...

Turn signals, brake light switch, tail light, mirror, could add just a few pounds.

Last edited by Jeff Cobb : 12-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Cool

Although it is lower tech, a new DRZ400S weighs about the same, has more suspension travel and power and it costs about $500 less (just over 6K MSRP). I am not familiar with how well the Yam responds to mods, but putting a Yosh full sytem and an FCR carb on the DRZ gives a solid 44hp.

Then there is the intangibles. There is just something about the DRZ. Dunno what it is, but I can literally ride the hell out of my DRZ like few bikes I have owned. It has perfect power delivery for a "serious trailbike" and well, I just ride it hard. I would love to see Yam come out with a 450 version of this bike though, of course with the SM variant.

'83 XL600 eh? I had that exact bike too. One of my favorites as it was truly a go anywhere do it all machine. It had XR500 suspension on it. That deliberate revving torquey thumper did wheelies for days and days. Allow me to elaborate, from the way back machine

Sometimes I think I would love to have a Husky TE610 as the spiritual and much improved descendant to that old Honda. Something that can ease down the highway at 75 mph and yet tackle the toughest trails.

Speaking of one wheeled hooliganism, about 20 years later, still doing this sort of thing on the DRZ. Had some mean race bikes including a ported/piped 500cc 2 stroke and there is still a trail ready CR250 in the garage, but I like porky do it all dual sports, at least after some engine and suspension tuning Perhaps it is a personality defect! More likely, I just like the change the engine/suspension fluids, clean the filters, lube the chain and ride it some more maintenance schedule...

Clambering over the nasties. Not bad for something with a license plate and a horn

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-07-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Nice stuff there Duken, I had my XL600 for about ten years, grafted some CR500 cartridge forks on it, and a WP shock, and it became on fast desert sled, it was the hillclimb champ too, I could go up "the wall" at Gorman in 3rd gear, and not even downshift when I hit the reverse rock-face. It also topped 100 mph easy on the freeways around here (as the front fender twisted and bent into strange shapes).

I like porky Honda dual sports too, as my '74 XL350 (done to Bob Bell specs) could out-run just about anything in a straight line.

But the street legal (plated by mistake by the DMV) '86 YZ490 with the 46 tooth rear sprocket was the bestus. I would race crotch rockets on the street, start off in 2nd gear and they would become a small little dot in the rear-view mirror. One guy got so pi$$ed he wanted to get into a fist fight at the next intersection. GSXR riders, feh.

And Jeff glad you're becomming the dirt-bike tester here at MO, have fun. And flip that BLM guy off at El Mirage for me (he's the one going solo with the beard). I use to roost him and his postal jeep back in the day when I refused to get a green sticker or spark arrestor. Would hide on top of the Ant Hill until he left camp. A hole of the 1st class.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Duken4evr
Founding Member

YZ490? LOL. We have led paralell lives. Say hi to the '92 WR500 (YZ490 engine in a YZ250 chassis with a heavier flywheel and round slide carb. That was my desert sled for 10 years. Don't have to many photos of that bike - this was the pre digital era and I was too busy riding it. What a durable machine that was. 3rd gear finally went out from all the hillclimbs. Put a new one in, rebuilt the crank and rocked on

Old 12-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Nice pics, Duke!

My latest DS is a 2006 YZ250 two-stroke with WR426 Wide-Ratio gearset. I managed to get a plate from Vermont!

It's also got a flywheel weight, 18" rear wheel (not in photo), enduro protection and a big tank.

It weighs nothing!

Last edited by pplassm : 12-08-2010 at 04:39 PM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
And Jeff glad you're becoming the dirt-bike tester here at MO, have fun. And flip that BLM guy off at El Mirage for me (he's the one going solo with the beard). I use to roost him and his postal jeep back in the day when I refused to get a green sticker or spark arrestor. Would hide on top of the Ant Hill until he left camp. A hole of the 1st class.
Thanks Matt. I'll tell him you said "hi," if I am unfortunate enough to see him.

Otherwise, California has lots of places to go, things to see, and do. It's been fun thus far ...
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Awesome bike pplasm.

The CR I have is an 01 and set up similar. Sure would like the WR gearset though. The MX 1st gear is too tall of course. Otherwise it is snappy and weightless and generally awesome in the 1st degree. Dirt bike are just plain the sh%t

I would love to spend some time with that little Yam. One wonders what the surgical removal of the heavy stock cat equipped exhaust and various dual sport debris along with some Power Commander tuning and perhaps a Millennium Tech big bore kit would bring. The DRZ is easily opened up to 435cc via such a kit and it increases power quite a bit. Something about unshrouding the valves.

Edit. MT offers a 290 kit. The dyno chart shows a nice improvement

dyno10 - Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-08-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

Dirt Bike magazine did some work on the WR250R. Their bottom line was "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". Better to get the Husky (if a 250/310 is needed) or KTM.